[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

ROCKET SOUND ENHANCEMENT

An Audio Framework Plugin and Sound Overhaul/Replacement for Kerbal Space Program.

YB6lR5P.png

DOWNLOADS 

KSP-1.12.3-important?style=flat-square  CKAN-Indexed-red?style=flat-square

Rocket Sound Enhancement Plugin (Required) : GitHub 

Rocket Sound Enhancement Default (Config Pack) : GitHub

Dependencies : ModuleManager

Source and Issue Tracking (GitHub) : Plugin | Rocket Sound Enhancement Default

License
Rocket Sound Enhancement Plugin is licensed under GNU General Public License v3.0
Rocket Sound Enhancement Default is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Plugin Features

Rocket Sound Enhancement (RSE) is an Audio Plugin Framework Mod for Kerbal Space Program that offers modders advanced sound effects features not available in the base game. It features a robust Layering System for use of multiple sounds just like in other games (eg: FMod).

Master Audio Limiter/Compressor

Sound Mastering that controls the overall loudness of the game with Adjustable Amount for different dynamics with the "Auto-Limiter" feature or you can tweak your own settings.

Audio Muffler - Normal

Mixer based Audio Muffler with Dedicated channels for Exterior Sounds, Focused Vessel and Interior while ignoring UI sounds like Music.

Audio Muffler - AirSim & AirSim Lite

An Audio Muffler that works on top of the regular muffler that takes into account the Mach Angle, Velocity and Distance of a Vessel with Sonic Booms Effects (provided by a Config Pack via ShipEffects). 

Parts with RSE Modules will simulate realistic sound attenuation over distance, comb-filtering, and distortion. Game Events like distant explosions will now sound muffled just like in real life.

AirSim Lite is a version of AirSim that does similar effects without using sound filters.

More Features and Details on Github: 

https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/blob/master/README.md

Rocket Sound Enhancement Default

This is the Default Configuration and Sound Pack for Rocket Sound Enhancement.

Features

Engine Sound Replacements

Jet Engine Sound Replacements

RCS Sound Replacements

RotorEngines Sound Effects

Propeller Sound Effects

Wheel Tire and Motor Sound Effects

Decoupler Sound Replacements

Collision Sound Effects

Atmospheric Sound Effects (Featuring Sonic Booms if AirSim is enabled)

Physics Based Hull Sound Effects (rattling, creaking in IVA)

Supported Mods

ReStock / ReStockPlus

Kerbal Atomics

Cryogenic Engines

Near Future Launch Vehicles

Waterfall ReStock

Stock Waterfall Effects

RealPlume

Resources

Rocket Sound Enhancement Default Modding Guide

Preset Configurator

Known Issues

• Sound glitches and stuttering might occur in large part ships and more so when AirSim is enabled or when loading in-between scenes.
  • Stock sounds might be un-muffled for a single frame or two. Replacing AUDIO with RSE_AUDIO in Part's EFFECTS node via its config fixes this issue.

Media

Sharing videos of your launches with this mod is mandatory.  jk please share

Settings Overview by @Vandest

Spoiler

nhyNbBk.png

Edited by ensou04

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's awesome, I might have to start doing my testing with sound enabled again! I have some possible requests, but I'll save them for when you've taken care of more important things... :)

thanks! throw your requests at me, i need your suggestions :)

4 hours ago, falken said:

Really nice! I don't suppose you've considered making the decouple sounds a bit nicer too? 

i am planning on doing the decouplers as well

4 hours ago, Lupi said:

Man, that crackle gives the engines so much life! Brings back those memories of seeing some in person!

im glad i got it as close as I can then! I never actually saw a real rocket launch in my life because we dont have them here in my country :(

But i always have imagined it like hearing a loud continues roaring thunder.

Edited by ensou04

Did you consider of "just" using the values of existing RealPlume configs and derive these into the sound rendering?

I mean - instead of having another mod that needs patch configs for every engine out there ... just use the existing patch configs.

This also would motivate ppl to provide better RealPlume configs when the actual ones create "not so good" sounds.

Which means the rendering by using RealPlume configs should base on "perfect" RealPlume configs.  :cool:

Edited by Gordon Dry

10 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Did you consider of "just" using the values of existing RealPlumes configs and derive these into the sound rendering?

i did but i havent tried it yet. it'll be a broad-stroke patch because I'll just have to apply the sounds to each realplume config. 

My goal was to apply specific sounds based on their nozzle size and thrust power. so a large diameter upper stage engine should sound a bit deeper while lower stage smaller diameter but more powerful thrusters should sound more heavier/louder.

I'll try the broad-stroke approach and see what happens

EDIT: I wonder if i could just dynamically adjust the pitch and volume of the sound files based on the size of the plume itself?

Edited by ensou04

3 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

If you also would "fix the AudioMuffler mod performance issue" by implementing a similar feature - as optional setting.

You can put this at the end of the priority list.

that'll be beyond the scope of this project but i'll consider it once the mod is complete

1 minute ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hmmm. Is there any possibility of adding a custom startup sound for the engines? Like, for the stock 1.875m booster engine (LR-87 clone), adding that classic "Vwooop!" of the starter cartridge and start turbine.

Yes i will do those aswell

Edited by ensou04

32 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

And a sound barrier boom. There was only one mod which provided that - looong ago.

Sound barrier booms are more related to aerodynamics than engines - so @ensou04 would be fighting a two front "war" here.

I'm totally in favor to a Sonic Boom Mod, but I would prefer one that would mimic the real life (as double booms on bigger vessels, as Concorde did). And perhaps this is a bit too more than @ensou04 would be willing to chew.

Spoiler

And the best one (for me):

Spoiler

Note, however, that inside the cockpit, there're few to no sounds!

Spoiler

Edited by Lisias
MOAR VIDEOS!

patching the existing RealPlume configs looks like a better approach than patching every each engine out there.

but i cant for the life of me figure out how to do math with module manager, im trying to multiply the pitch of the sound based on the scale of the plume

AUDIO
{
	name = running
	clip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/sound_lqd_heavy
	volume = 0.0 0.0
	volume = 0.2 0.8
	volume = 1.0 1.0
	pitch = 0.0 0.5 //Multiply this by plumeScale
	pitch = 1.0 1.0	//Multiply this by plumeScale
	loop = true
}

anyone know how to do this?

Nevermind I figured it out

Edited by ensou04

So far so good, i have replaced the sounds for all engines that are using Kerolox-Lower as their plumes. Although i am unsure about the volume change it does to the less powerful engines.

What i did was to determine the pitch of the sound by using the engine plume's energy settings, in consequence it also changes the overall RMS Loudness value as well so i might actually just set the Volume parameter to one number.

config:

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Kerolox-Lower]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @Kerolox-Lower
        {
			!AUDIO{}
            AUDIO
            {
				name = running
                clip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/sound_lqd_heavy
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = #$../../../PLUME[Kerolox-Lower]/plumeScale$

@volume,1 *= 0.8
				@volume,1 ^= :^:0.2 :
				@volume,2 ^= :^:1.0 :

pitch = #$../../../PLUME[Kerolox-Lower]/energy$
				pitch = #$../../../PLUME[Kerolox-Lower]/energy$

@pitch,0 *= 0.5
				@pitch,0 ^= :^:0.0 :
                @pitch,1 ^= :^:1.0 :

loop = true
            }
            AUDIO
            {
				name = crackle
                clip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/sound_crackle
				volume = 0.5 0.0
				@volume,1 ^= :^:1.0 :

pitch = 1.0 0.8

loop = true
            }
		}
	}
}

in hindsight, i could instead use the actual thrust values to determine the pitch of the sounds. :o

Edited by ensou04

4 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

That sounds really cool!

Needs a bit more ground-shaking low-freq rumble )

Done :)

I edited OP and added the Github page

Currently running sound patches for these plumes are done:

Kerolox-Lower (running)
Kerolox-Lower-F1 (running)
Hydrolox-Lower (running)
Hypergolic-Lower (running)
Hypergolic-OMS-White (running)
Hypergolic-OMS-Red (running)

I haven't tested how part mods react to this.

Edited by ensou04

16 hours ago, ensou04 said:

thanks! throw your requests at me, i need your suggestions :)

Well, I make a historic mod called Bluedog Design Bureau (which incidentally already natively supports RealPlume), and I would love if I had a 'Bwoooop' sound effect for the ignition (you can separate ignition sounds for engines, right?) on the LR-87 and some related alt-history engines.

EDIT:

Forgot to include a video example:

Edited by CobaltWolf

47 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

(you can separate ignition sounds for engines, right?)

I don't see why not. There should be no problem layering sounds inside the engage and disengage nodes, but since there's no fine control here, they'd need to be pre-mixed to fit the situation and be mix-able for other engines, unlike in the running nodes where they can be arranged like an NLE (non-linear editor) timeline and you scrub the timeline with the seek marker throttle.

These are a huge improvement over stock!

I'd really love if the engines had even more oomph in the low frequency range. Whenever I've listened to a recording of a launch there's always that low rumbling that you can almost feel more than hear. It really conveys a sense of power.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, I make a historic mod called Bluedog Design Bureau (which incidentally already natively supports RealPlume), and I would love if I had a 'Bwoooop' sound effect for the ignition (you can separate ignition sounds for engines, right?) on the LR-87 and some related alt-history engines.

EDIT:

Forgot to include a video example:

Alright! we could simply just put that kind of sound as its "Activate" sound but I have an idea.

if your engines have a thrust threshold like say they flame out under 10% of thrust I could make a looping sound of that whoop and apply it at the 1-10% range, so if you thrust up slowly it will always start with that bwoop sound then the actual running sound will just explode after 10%

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

These are a huge improvement over stock!

I'd really love if the engines had even more oomph in the low frequency range. Whenever I've listened to a recording of a launch there's always that low rumbling that you can almost feel more than hear. It really conveys a sense of power.

Thank you,

i have already boosted low frequecies of the sounds after i made the last video. you can test it out yourself. i added a github repository in the OP for testing

@CobaltWolf

Well this was an interesting experiment, i kinda made it work but I believe this will become annoying real fast specially if your thrust values are below 20% and all you hear is the whining sound. and also it goes on reverse when you thrust down as expected

Spoiler

Edited by ensou04

3 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

@CobaltWolf

Well this was an interesting experiment, i kinda made it work but I believe this will become annoying real fast specially if your thrust values are below 20% and all you hear is the whining sound. and also it goes on reverse when you thrust down as expected

That does sound weird :) what about if its just an ignition sound and not a low throttle?