[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

Updated the configs again so far its not breaking non-RSE engines anymore that has Waterfall effects. Let me know how it goes with your modpacks.

Downloads

Edited by ensou04

3 hours ago, JaJeff11 said:

I have an issue, some of my decoupler doesn't play the modded sound but some of it do, i'm using restock.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep823VoHVdg

Those are RestockPlus parts, RSE Default only adds the new sounds to existing decouplers at least for now. Still haven't work on full RestockPlus Patches

19 minutes ago, Vandest said:

Sorry for confusion, English is not my native language. I meant "terrific" like @Kwebib said. So, it was a compliment. :wink:

its oke :D thank you! really glad you enjoy it!

Hmm, a few years ago there was a mod about ship sound effects (rattles, bumps, buffeting like from reentry)  and the name I think was "ensouensou" are you the same person and is this a continuation of that mod?  Really enjoyed that mod.

(I can see the old mod in CKAN, I think linuxgurugamer took it over, to maintain it.)

30 minutes ago, BlackHat said:

Hmm, a few years ago there was a mod about ship sound effects (rattles, bumps, buffeting like from reentry)  and the name I think was "ensouensou" are you the same person and is this a continuation of that mod?  Really enjoyed that mod.

(I can see the old mod in CKAN, I think linuxgurugamer took it over, to maintain it.)

Yes that's me . RSE's ShipEffects is a total rewrite so more like ShipEffects 2.0. also has impact sounds now too :)

RSE is basically an amalgamation of sound design ideas of my two old mods (DynamicSFX and ShipEffects) and it has grown so much more ever since.

Edited by ensou04

Blade Count Aware Propeller Sound Effects! Spent an entire day writing up this system.

It takes the RPM of the rotor and maps it to the appropriate RPM/Blade Count Range and then plays a sound according to that value. Instead of doing a single sound effect for every possible RPM and Blade Count Configuration, I instead did loops for 8 Blades, 4 blades, 2 and 1 blade all running at 450rpm. I realized that an 8 bladed prop running at half speed kinda sounds like a 4 bladed prop and so on. So we basically have one sound effect for 2 scenarios (RPM and Blade Count).

In the configs you would map all your SoundLayers just like what you would do with Engines and Wheels at the range of 0-1. and then you'd give the config two values: baseRPM, value that is used to map the sounds to the rotor speed. and maxBlades: the max amount of blades this config can provide. in this case its 8 Blades at 450RPM. The Configs for propellers are in the part themselves but the logic is processed by the rotor it is attached to.

Rotors can also play its own sounds just like wheels. The Rotor sound effect on this video is just a place holder.

Soon™

Config sample:

Spoiler
//	Helicopter Blade Type B
@PART[mediumHeliBlade]:FOR[RocketSoundEnhancementDefault]
{
    RSE_Propellers
    {
        baseRPM = 450
        maxBlades = 8

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_1b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_1b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 0.02 0.8
			volume = 0.1 1.0
			volume = 0.25 0.0

pitch = 0.0 0.1
			pitch = 0.1 1.0
			pitch = 0.25 2.0
		}

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_2b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_2b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.1 0.0
			volume = 0.25 1.0
			volume = 0.5 0.0

pitch = 0.1  0.5
			pitch = 0.25 1.0
			pitch = 0.5 2.0
		}

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_4b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_4b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.25 0.0
			volume = 0.5 1.0
            volume = 1.0 0.0

pitch = 0.25 0.5
			pitch = 0.5 1.0
            pitch = 1.0 2.0
		}

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_8b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_8b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.25 0.0
			volume = 0.5 1.0
            volume = 1.5 1.0

pitch = 0.25 0.5
			pitch = 0.5 1.0
            pitch = 1.5 1.5
		}
    }
}

Edited by ensou04

44 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

Blade Count Aware Propeller Sound Effects! Spent an entire day writing up this system.

It takes the RPM of the rotor and maps it to the appropriate RPM/Blade Count Range and then plays a sound according to that value. Instead of doing a single sound effect for every possible RPM and Blade Count Configuration, I instead did loops for 8 Blades, 4 blades, 2 and 1 blade all running at 450rpm. I realized that an 8 bladed prop running at half speed kinda sounds like a 4 bladed prop and so on. So we basically have one sound effect for 2 scenarios (RPM and Blade Count).

In the configs you would map all your SoundLayers just like what you would do with Engines and Wheels at the range of 0-1. and then you'd give the config two values: baseRPM, value that is used to map the sounds to the rotor speed. and maxBlades: the max amount of blades this config can provide. in this case its 8 Blades at 450RPM. The Configs for propellers are in the part themselves but the logic is processed by the rotor it is attached to.

Rotors can also play its own sounds just like wheels. The Rotor sound effect on this video is just a place holder.

Soon™

Config sample:

Reveal hidden contents
//	Helicopter Blade Type B
@PART[mediumHeliBlade]:FOR[RocketSoundEnhancementDefault]
{
    RSE_Propellers
    {
        baseRPM = 450
        maxBlades = 8

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_1b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_1b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 0.02 0.8
			volume = 0.1 1.0
			volume = 0.25 0.0

pitch = 0.0 0.1
			pitch = 0.1 1.0
			pitch = 0.25 2.0
		}

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_2b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_2b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.1 0.0
			volume = 0.25 1.0
			volume = 0.5 0.0

pitch = 0.1  0.5
			pitch = 0.25 1.0
			pitch = 0.5 2.0
		}

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_4b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_4b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.25 0.0
			volume = 0.5 1.0
            volume = 1.0 0.0

pitch = 0.25 0.5
			pitch = 0.5 1.0
            pitch = 1.0 2.0
		}

SOUNDLAYER
		{
			name = Heli-Blade-450_8b
			audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Propellers/Heli-Blade-450_8b
			loop = true
			spread = 0.5
			channel = ShipBoth

volume = 0.25 0.0
			volume = 0.5 1.0
            volume = 1.5 1.0

pitch = 0.25 0.5
			pitch = 0.5 1.0
            pitch = 1.5 1.5
		}
    }
}

Ever since the Breaking Ground robotics stuff was released, the missing sound effects have bugged me so much for some reason. :D Is there also a whine from the turbo engine in there as well?

This could also be applied to servos and rotating hinges, etc. as well, right?--with some electronic hum based on speed?

Edited by Beetlecat

4 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Ever since the Breaking Ground robotics stuff was released, the missing sound effects have bugged me so much for some reason. :D Is there also a whine from the turbo engine in there as well?

Yeah they were awfully quiet! The whine there is just a place holder attached to the rotor itself, still gonna do a proper turbo engine sound effect later along side the electric ones and more prop sounds

4 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

This could also be applied to servos and rotating hinges, etc. as well, right?--with some electronic hum based on speed?

Also yes, that's the plan!

Edited by ensou04

Done with the Helicopter Propellers and the Turboshaft Engines :D

I modeled the R7000 Turboshaft Engine on a Blackhawk and Huey Sounds while the R121 Turboshaft is modeled on something like the Bell 505 (if at full RPM). The Sound Samples are synthesized so no real recordings are used. All helicopter propellers can support up to 8 blades beyond that it will try to simulate up to 12 blades by pitching the sound up.

The mod doesn't seem to like RealPlume. When I have this and RealPlume installed (plus Waterfall, fwiw) none of the RealPlume flame effects on the SRBs are visible; as well as all SmokeScreen smoke going away (SRBs and LiquidFuel engines). If I uninstall RSE, the visual effects come back.

Ok, pretty sure I've solved it actually. Looks like the configs were being too aggressive in what they were removing - deleting the entire effects node instead of just the audio portion. Here's the fix, - in WaterfallRestock.cfg and StockWaterfallEffects.cfg, replace:

!EFFECTS

with

@EFFECTS
	{
		@engage {!AUDIO{}}
		@running {!AUDIO{}}
		@disengage {!AUDIO{}}
		@flameout {!AUDIO{}}
	}

Edited by jfjohnny5

I absolutely love this mod, it really takes the audio up to the next level. As an audiophile, I can't thank you enough for working on this!

One question though - is there a plan/desire to exempt SoundtrackEditor from muffling in flight / map view? After using SoundtrackEditor for so long with custom playlists, it's hard to go back to the repetitive stock music... but it's also hard to hear engines at full volume unmuffled in space after you've been used to that for a while. 

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Zelda said:

I absolutely love this mod, it really takes the audio up to the next level. As an audiophile, I can't thank you enough for working on this!

One question though - is there a plan/desire to exempt SoundtrackEditor from muffling in flight / map view? After using SoundtrackEditor for so long with custom playlists, it's hard to go back to the repetitive stock music... but it's also hard to hear engines at full volume unmuffled in space after you've been used to that for a while. 

Thanks again!

that has already been fixed during the daily builds. I'm experimenting on something currently so patch builds has been on hold :D

6 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

that has already been fixed during the daily builds. I'm experimenting on something currently so patch builds has been on hold :D

That's great! Looking forward to it, whenever you have time to release it. :) Also hoping your experiment goes well!

Oh man I love the work you're doing. The synthesized rotor sounds are amazing, even if they're still WIP :wub:

Also would be really keen to see this include ReStock Plus one day, if you ever get around to doing it :P

13 minutes ago, Just a random person said:

Incredible, I'm a fan! One thing I don't like is the stock engine activation/shutdown sounds. Are you planning on replacing those? Awesome stuff regardless!

We'll be replacing those just not yet. They'll come with the final Decoupler sounds :D

11 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

I think it's time to change the name of your mod :P

well Rocket Sound Enhancement is catchy :P