[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

On 3/22/2022 at 9:12 PM, Joker58th said:

JetSoundsUpdated does a pretty good job with the jet engines so I'm not sure you need to do anything?  Just a thought...

I take it back...I'm having problems with JetSoundsUpdated and Stock Waterfall Effects... Looking forward to what you come up with.

It seems latest stock ksp versions introduced a bug where from time to time the engines dont produce sound. Does this mod fix by accident or intention that bug? I am installing it now... I hope it does!

It didn't fix the bug. It might be related to warping....

Edited by Agustin

11 hours ago, Agustin said:

It seems latest stock ksp versions introduced a bug where from time to time the engines dont produce sound. Does this mod fix by accident or intention that bug? I am installing it now... I hope it does!

Hmm... I just read, that IIRC, recently, the Time Control mod had issues with engine sounds doing that, related to warping.  vOv
(Time Control is a time warping-based mod)

21 hours ago, Agustin said:

I used to have the sound bug on 1.12.3.  For me it seemed to be mostly during re-entry and switching back and forth from map view.  I think it was this mod that fixed it but it's really hard to say.  I don't want to touch anything now that the sound is working properly. :)

Edited by Joker58th

26 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

I used to have the sound bug on 1.12.3.  For me it seemed to be mostly during re-entry and switching back and forth from map view.  I think it was this mod that fixed it but it's really hard to say.  I don't want to touch anything now that the sound is working properly. :)

Thank you. I discovered it is triggered by hyper warp with better time warp or time control mods.

1 hour ago, adriangm44 said:

Music keeps getting muffled thouhg...

are you playing with Soundtrack Editor? it has been patched on the daily builds, if its stock music then I'm not sure why its getting muffled. I haven't released an update yet as I'm working on v0.9

19 hours ago, ensou04 said:

are you playing with Soundtrack Editor? it has been patched on the daily builds, if its stock music then I'm not sure why its getting muffled. I haven't released an update yet as I'm working on v0.9

Yes! I am using it also with custom music. What should I do then?

42 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Yes! I am using it also with custom music. What should I do then?

you could just grab the latest plugin in the master branch if you like (https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/tree/master/GameData/RocketSoundEnhancement). it has the latest features I'm working on right now together with the patch although it might contain some debug code during development.

Plugin Dev Update: Air Simulation!

A New RSE Plugin Feature that simulates how Sound Travels in an Atmosphere. It Calculates Doppler Effects, Muffling due to Distance, Mach Cones and Realistic Comb Filtering Making Flybys more interesting.

It doesn't do Sonic Booms yet but that's what I'm working on next and its gonna be part of ShipEffects Module.

3 hours ago, ensou04 said:

A New RSE Plugin Feature that simulates how Sound Travels in an Atmosphere. It Calculates Doppler Effects, Muffling due to Distance, Mach Cones and Realistic Comb Filtering Making Flybys more interesting.

It doesn't do Sonic Booms yet but that's what I'm working on next and its gonna be part of ShipEffects Module.

Amazing!

This is such a cool mod! Although I do get a weird audio bug, when I zoom close to a craft the mechanical noise from wheels and the scanner arms only come from the left headphone but when I zoom out it moves to the right. Is it just me?

Edited by Apollo 13

On 4/12/2022 at 11:55 PM, coyotesfrontier said:

Amazing!

WWWWWoow. Okay, I was expecting good, but that's fantastic. It's getting very close to real - I should know, basically spent my entire youth at air shows. Now you're making me wonder how it sounds with choppers and prop planes.

Mmmm, I wonder how close to the best sounding aircraft ever we can get? (For me, 1940's RAF Mosquito).

On 4/12/2022 at 11:39 PM, ensou04 said:

Oh I see what’s happening here. Lost the password to the pizzaoverhead account, have you?

5 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Oh I see what’s happening here. Lost the password to the pizzaoverhead account, have you?

i have pizzaoverhead's blessing to go on this endeavor :P

On the Air Simulation Topic: While working on the system, I was attempting to have stock sounds be partially supported. It added more *hacky and slow* code than necessary. So I made the decision to not support stock sounds.

Example of stock sounds would be engines not using RSE or the atmosphere wind effects (like reentry). At this point, RSE already can do 90% of what stock sound does. With the SHIPEFFECTS module, I can just add my own Atmosphere Wind and Reentry Sound effects with the new DYNAMICPRESSURE Control.  Adding Air Sim on SHIPEFFECTS Module is more straightforward than trying to take into account what ever stock decides to play at any given moment. With this in mind, i will be adding a new setting to disable Stock Ambient Sound Effects which is more straight forward like disabling staging sounds.

With Air Simulation Enabled, AUDIOMUFFLER's basic Lowpass filter will be disabled and all AUDIOSOURCEs will be routed to a mixer. this will give stock sounds muffling similar to Audio Muffler Redux while RSE will be using Air Simulation and will be on their own Mixer Channel.

Edited by ensou04

On 4/13/2022 at 4:39 PM, ensou04 said:

*snip*

Gah this is amazing :wub: Seeing that you can directional sound working, how simple would it be to have engine sound that changes depending on direction? i.e., fan noise dominates the front, but exhaust noise dominates the rear

8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Gah this is amazing :wub: Seeing that you can directional sound working, how simple would it be to have engine sound that changes depending on direction? i.e., fan noise dominates the front, but exhaust noise dominates the rear

thank you :) Directional sound is already implemented probably just not obvious from the build on that video.

3 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Could we get the option to turn down the ship effects sounds independently from the stock ship volume slider? I like having loud engines but I think the ship rattles are a bit too loud.

that was a balancing issue, i already fixed this by changing how the rattle sounds are controlled.  I'll probably add back volume sliders on the next update.

This might just be a KSP limitation, but I've noticed what I think is Comb Filtering when using more than about 3 of the same engine/decoupler/launch clamps. Do you know if this can be fixed? Maybe just play the sound of one engine, but slightly louder, instead of 3 engine sounds playing simultaneously?

10 hours ago, Kwebib said:

This might just be a KSP limitation, but I've noticed what I think is Comb Filtering when using more than about 3 of the same engine/decoupler/launch clamps. Do you know if this can be fixed?

for the engines, some engines do comb filtering and was intentional (internally, every engine will have a some pitch variation). if you don't like it, go to the configs and add "loopAtRandom = true" for the soundlayers that dont have it. but that would remove the unique startup effects (not activate/engage) like base punch.

The engines that does these was made before there was a viable limiter and that was the only way i came up with to fix the more terrible permanent combfiltering on engine clusters that has punchy starts. In the future all engine sounds will loopAtRandom because we already have free punch effects from the new Limiter

10 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Maybe just play the sound of one engine, but slightly louder, instead of 3 engine sounds playing simultaneously?

This was my first choice of solution, but KSP being a sandbox game. Kind of complicated to take into account every edge case. What if your ship has 2 same engines but not in a cluster formation? where would I put the sound source. I could instead do a distance or cluster/mirror check and see if two engines are close enough to share one audio source. this adds a lot of checks for every engine on the same vessel. There might be a better way but another problem occurs with how audiosource limits volume to 1. so engine clusters will never get louder than 2 engines. there's always workarounds for these situations but that adds a lot of code. The simplest solution was to just loop sounds at random points on the sample which RSE also does just like KSP.

Edited by ensou04

3 hours ago, Kwebib said:

My audio engineering knowledge is limited, at best, so I may be misunderstanding. If we loop the sounds at random points and/or use pitch variation, does that still result in comb filtering?

Comb Filtering happens when two identical sounds plays *almost* at the exact same time and rate. so if we start the loops at different points in the loop sample, no more comb filtering.

With Pitch variation, over time the comb filtering disappears that's why you can hear it "animate" over time, which was honestly a more pleasant sound than the static comb filtering RSE and old KSP used to get. Eventually they'll stop filtering each other because they aren't playing at the same rate so they'll be misaligned for more than 20ms where most comb filtering start to disappear. If you notice with RSE Engines, Comb Filtering only happens at the start of each thrust. eventually they start to disappear

Edited by ensou04

Thanks for posting that, I was looking at screenshots and wondering why the SRBs had no smoke in the current playthru compared to older ones. I've added SRBWE and RSE this time round. The fixes are in the master on GitHub, so next release?

https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/commit/9e81319cecb375e90354c5570faa27d803a04e58