[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

It is very great sounding mod - covering almost everything!

Which reminds me @ensou04- I looked on GitHub and I don't think there's a patch for the Grounded mod (useful for early KSC style rovers, driving round collecting the easy science). I see somebody did an MM patch here:

If I remember I shall try it out on my dev branch (I'm currently trying to balance 1000 BDB parts using python).

9 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

It is very great sounding mod - covering almost everything!

Which reminds me @ensou04- I looked on GitHub and I don't think there's a patch for the Grounded mod (useful for early KSC style rovers, driving round collecting the easy science). I see somebody did an MM patch here:

If I remember I shall try it out on my dev branch (I'm currently trying to balance 1000 BDB parts using python).

oh i missed this. I remember them asking about adding sounds to resource converters so just in time. Im trying to work on something that'll make it happen. Currently i'm reworking most of the sounds now for the release version. Most sounds in the default pack are placeholders except for the ones I added lately. Still need to work on the rotor sounds as well so it might take a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you want any feedback on the latest Github master, considering it's not an official release, but I tried out the new sounds, and I'm noticing a loop in the light liquid-fuel engine sound.

1 hour ago, jebycheek said:

Sometimes swiching between map view and orbit view causes uncontrollable muting,no buttons works,i can only hear a tiny bit of engine sound when the thrust at the maximum.

This is almost certainly a bug in stock KSP - rocket sounds disappear without RSE. I've seen it with and without personally (it's fairly rare). One theory I heard is that somehow the audio engine gets confused with relation to the "floating origin" (anti-Kraken) - so your engine is actually much further away. I've not seen anyone that has a solution.

13 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

This is almost certainly a bug in stock KSP - rocket sounds disappear without RSE. I've seen it with and without personally (it's fairly rare). One theory I heard is that somehow the audio engine gets confused with relation to the "floating origin" (anti-Kraken) - so your engine is actually much further away. I've not seen anyone that has a solution.

Thanks for the hint, it's bit sad to hear that... cause this phenomena is not rare to my game play.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:26 PM, Kwebib said:

I don't know if you want any feedback on the latest Github master, considering it's not an official release, but I tried out the new sounds, and I'm noticing a loop in the light liquid-fuel engine sound.

thanks for letting me know

5 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

there is also one thing that happens with RSE that is very rare, the Audio limiter gets overloaded and gets "stuck" at maximum limiting. its not really stuck its more like it takes forever to recover because limiting is at infinity. If sudden muting happens again while playing with RSE, try disabling the Audio Limiter just to confirm. I might swap that out with Unity's built in Audio Limiter now that RSE uses Mixer Groups.

4 hours ago, ensou04 said:

thanks for letting me know

It doesn't seem to be the actual .wav files. If I listen to the .wav files I'm not noticing the same sound. Seems to be the way the files are actually played in game.

29 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

It doesn't seem to be the actual .wav files. If I listen to the .wav files I'm not noticing the same sound. Seems to be the way the files are actually played in game.

yeah can confirm, wav themselves sounds fine. do you know which engine has the noticeable looping sound?

EDIT:
I think some sounds are just pitched way too high on smaller engines so I'll try tuning them down

Edited by ensou04

Turns out it wasn't a "light" engine, it was a "medium" one.

I had copied a config from either Swivel or Reliant and applied it to the Valiant from ReStock Plus, but now that I look at the config, it looks a little out of date compared to your latest configs on GitHub.

Here is the config:

Spoiler

@PART[restock-engine-125-valiant]:FOR[RocketSoundEnhancementDefault]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = RSE_Engines
		volume = 0.83

AIRSIMULATION
		{
			EnableLowpassFilter = True
			EnableCombFilter = True
			EnableWaveshaper = True
			UpdateMode = Full
			AngleHighpass = 500
			MaxCombMix = 0.25
		}

Engine
		{
			SOUNDLAYER
			{
				name = ThrustHigh
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Medium-Atm_High
				loop = true
				spread = 0.4

volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.25 0.0
				volume = 1.0 1.0

pitch = 1.3
			}

SOUNDLAYER
			{
				name = ThrustLow
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Medium-Low
				loop = true
				spread = 0.4

volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.25 1.0
				volume = 1.0 0.0

pitch = 1.3
			}
		}

Burst
		{
			SOUNDLAYER
			{
				name = Bursts
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Burst-1
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Burst-2
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Burst-3

spread = 0.4

volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.25 0.125
				volume = 1.0 0.75

pitch = 0.6
			}
		}

Engage
		{
			SOUNDLAYER
			{
				name = Engage
				audioClip = sound_vent_medium

volume = 0.2
				pitch = 2.0
			}
		}

Flameout
		{
			SOUNDLAYER
			{
				name = FlameOut
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Burst-1
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Burst-2
				audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/Sounds/Engines/Liquid_Burst-3

spread = 0.4

volume = 0.75
				pitch = 0.6
			}
		}	
	}
}

I can report back later today on the actual Reliant and Swivel and let you know if I notice the looping.

1 minute ago, Kwebib said:

@ensou04 Nevermind, I can report now :P

I just loaded up a sandbox game and launched a rocket with the Swivel and I'm noticing the looping.

I'm using the last RSE Default commit from yesterday (May 12th).

just took a look at your Valiant patch and it seems in order, just had some AIRSIM values that's no longer needed cuz they're already set by default .
its probably the wav in this case.  I'll take a look a bit later

RSE Update is close to being done. RSE Plugin Skipped a version and will go straight to v0.9 as its almost feature complete. Documentation on wiki is now outdated though so I'll have to deal with that soon.

Done doing Jet engine patches and revamped most sounds effects. Grounded wheels is now supported. more mod support will come later. Didn't manage to make a resource converter module yet but it shouldn't be that difficult although adding sounds to Grounded converters will be tricky because wheels consume less resource the faster it goes so its gonna be reversed in that case. if anyone has any ideas lemme know.

For people who likes making patches or want to add support to their mods, I created a Sheet you can reference.

Edited by ensou04

@Kwebib my bad, should work now

EDIT:

I re-rendered the liquid_medium sounds and adjusted the "texture" to be more consistent, hopefully that reduces the looping sound. its in the master

Edited by ensou04

Just tried it out with the Swivel and the Reliant. Looping is definitely improved, but I can still notice a pattern.

With full throttle Swivel/Reliant, there is one section I can hear about ~5 seconds after launch that repeats again every ~5 seconds. Interestingly, if I put it on about 50% throttle or less I no longer notice the pattern.

Either way, it is improved over previous version.

1 hour ago, Kwebib said:

Just tried it out with the Swivel and the Reliant. Looping is definitely improved, but I can still notice a pattern.

With full throttle Swivel/Reliant, there is one section I can hear about ~5 seconds after launch that repeats again every ~5 seconds. Interestingly, if I put it on about 50% throttle or less I no longer notice the pattern.

Either way, it is improved over previous version.

this is an interesting problem, because i think the solution is to just change the duration of the the loop, right now its 8 seconds long but i bet if we change that to say 7 seconds or 9-10 seconds the looping effect should be gone.the old sounds had 10 second loops and was using actual recordings so that means looping there should have been more obvious but it wasn't

im gonna re-render all the rocket engines to be 10 seconds long and see what happens
EDIT:
Nope not the length. its the texture aka the crackle, just had to adjust the timing to an odd number and made it more consistent. I made the samples longer anyway just to be safe

Edited by ensou04

Just tried it. No noticeable loop!

On the subject of old/new sounds, I was comparing the old "very heavy" to the new "heavy" and I must say I do miss the amount of bass in the old very heavy sounds. They just sound so huge.

28 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

Just tried it. No noticeable loop!

On the subject of old/new sounds, I was comparing the old "very heavy" to the new "heavy" and I must say I do miss the amount of bass in the old very heavy sounds. They just sound so huge.

I could increase the bass for those. Also planning on finalizing the equalization of the engine sounds anyway because they are too mid/high focused to my liking. Just need to make sure I keep the original Loudness generally the same so we don't have to change the volume balancing in the configs.

The only thing left to do before the update is the SRBs, I'll do the equalization of the engine sounds once I start working on those.

After the update is released, I'll start working on engage/disengage sounds.

So I have the mod and config pack installed and bang.. no sounds at all from the game. Is there a proper way to install the configs? 

I am so excited by the development but waiting to use the mod is killing me :D

I do believe I've had this issue before with plume mods conflicting. I have these mods installed:

Waterfall

Waterfall Restock

Realplume

Reaplume stock

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So I have the mod and config pack installed and bang.. no sounds at all from the game. Is there a proper way to install the configs? 

I do believe I've had this issue before with plume mods conflicting. I have these mods installed:

Waterfall

Waterfall Restock

Realplume

Reaplume stock

You really should post your KSP.log for this kind of problem.

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Waterfall

Waterfall Restock

Realplume

Reaplume stock

Like @JonnyOThan said, KSP.log would be very helpful.

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Is there a proper way to install the configs? 

quick answer to your question would be:

GameData
- RocketSoundEnhancement (The Plugin/Framework)
- RocketSoundEnhancementDefault (The Config/Mod)
- ModuleManager.dll

18 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Sounds great! Thanks for all the hard work.

thank you :) also good call on the heavies being less bassy compared to the old ones. Was working on SRBs and realized the Heavies are taking too much high frequencies where I would normally put SRBs sounds at. Already made the Heavies more bass focused and tweaked the Mediums to slightly be more bass focused and less high end. I think the lights already sound good so I didn't touch them cuz they might end up sounding more like RCS thrusters. The new sounds should be in the master later.