[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

On 6/5/2022 at 11:27 PM, ensou04 said:

While trying to fix the scene change stuttering sounds, I may have figured out how the stock sound bug occurs ....

The fix: just zero out the local position and rotation of the AudioListener every time a scene loads.

It would be incredible if you could fix this bug, it's one of those rare but truely annoying and persistent bugs that if you dig into it, a lot of people get, but only rarely. The description of it being a distant sound source does jive with some people saying (and my experience) it seemed to occur only when scene switching with distant vessels.

When you say "the fix", does that possibly mean you might fix it? If so, it might be one of those bug fixes for the KSP Community Fixes mod? Just a thought, possibly easier to put it in RSE with a toggle and/or cfg setting and perhaps mention the fix on that thread? Whatever... however it's fixed it'd be very good news.

8 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

It would be incredible if you could fix this bug, it's one of those rare but truely annoying and persistent bugs that if you dig into it, a lot of people get, but only rarely. The description of it being a distant sound source does jive with some people saying (and my experience) it seemed to occur only when scene switching with distant vessels.

When you say "the fix", does that possibly mean you might fix it? If so, it might be one of those bug fixes for the KSP Community Fixes mod? Just a thought, possibly easier to put it in RSE with a toggle and/or cfg setting and perhaps mention the fix on that thread? Whatever... however it's fixed it'd be very good news.

yeap its fixed! I would love to contribute the fix to the community instead of just having it in RSE though. its literally just 2-3 lines of code

Edited by ensou04

Rocket Sound Enhancement Plugin Update.

Downloads

Rocket Sound Enhancement v0.9.4 (Plugin)

Changes

• Added MachEffectsAmount config
  • Settings Panel now closes when Save button is pressed
  • Fixed RSE_AUDIO AirSim Filter being disabled first before the audiosource causing unwanted behaviour
  • Fixed Stock Audio Disappearing bug
  • Temporary Fix for Sound Stutters when changing scenes
Edited by ensou04

3 hours ago, Hertzila said:

Thank you for the fix! Too bad even the nuclear option is not total, since there's still some stutter pre-load and post-load, but every bit helps.

I don't think there's really any fix the sound stuttering though, it happens because the game itself lags during those moments with or without RSE. Usually its not a problem with sound but with an audio mixer, somehow the game's entire sound gets affected regardless if the sound was using the mixer or not.

4 hours ago, ensou04 said:

I don't think there's really any fix the sound stuttering though

Sadly, you're probably right. This looks like the type of bug that would need to be dealt with on the stock code base.

I'm in the process of creating more Bursts and new Engage sounds for engines. What do you guys think of having an "Idle" sound for rocket engines? like a sound of the coolant running and flowing, maybe even turbines etc. It's gonna be quiet and sound more like ambiance.

something like the sound on this video (0:04 - 0:17) before engine ignition

Edited by ensou04

Is it expected behavior to be getting 3-4 sonic booms on every launch and reentry (using the default config, full AirSim)? I'm running JNSQ so if not, maybe the different atmosphere is causing it

Edited by CaelReader

8 hours ago, CaelReader said:

Is it expected behavior to be getting 3-4 sonic booms on every launch and reentry (using the default config, full AirSim)? I'm running JNSQ so if not, maybe the different atmosphere is causing it

Interesting, assuming you meant that the camera is stationary on the side then yeah probably its the atmosphere. Also there's two sonic booms happening just like in real life. AirSim simulates Two Cones, tip and rear.

2 hours ago, Feellikeapple said:

ummmmm, are the boom sounds that scared the life out of me supposed to happen?

Those are sonic booms, you can tweak the mach muffling effects through the advance settings, setting it to zero disables sonic booms. Or you can set Muffling Quality to Normal which don't do mach effects.

Edited by ensou04

10 hours ago, ensou04 said:

Those are sonic booms, you can tweak the mach muffling effects through the advance settings, setting it to zero disables sonic booms. Or you can set Muffling Quality to Normal which don't do mach effects.

yea, but they happen like every 3 seconds

@Feellikeapple, longshot, are you moving the camera around when they happen? The muffling seems to depend on the position of the camera. If you are moving it around a fair bit, like I tend to do, then you'll get lots of sonic booms, one each time you rotate the camera from facing the front of the vessel towards the back.

Edited by Zelda

In the same mood, the sound intensity may get rather high when switching from flight to orbital map.
It could be nice to have a softer or longer intensity transition for that, or keep the last level for the current vessel.

Edited by DfA-DoM
(typo)

5 hours ago, Zelda said:

@Feellikeapple, longshot, are you moving the camera around when they happen? The muffling seems to depend on the position of the camera. If you are moving it around a fair bit, like I tend to do, then you'll get lots of sonic booms, one each time you rotate the camera from facing the front of the vessel towards the back.

Right -- the camera is sort  of a virtual position outside the craft, and the shock cone surrounds it at an angle toward the rear.  It's like straying into the path of the firehose.

I have a question about rocket sound muffling. For me, the sound starts muffling at about 7 km and is almost silent at 11 km, but always at approximately 50km the sound is back again (but muffled) with a kind of sonic boom sound effect. Is this the expected behavior? Does this have anything to do with me playing in RSS?

Hello @mateusviccari,

No, it's not the expected behavior. On Kerbol system it working like we can expect, muffling start at about of 10km and is silent over 45km (of course, when RSE mufler is set to "Silent").

I don't know if RSE muffling depends by air density or by altitude, but in any ways the sound shouldn't come back if your ship altitude increase. I never tested it on RSS, if someone else did it, it would be nice to know how it work for him.

Edited by Vandest

@mateusviccari@Vandest AirSim Quality does two muffling effects, one is for Atmosphere Density and the other is for mach effects. Mach Effects Muffling is dependent on camera angle and speed. It also causes sonic booms when entering the mach cone.

What you are hearing is expected behavior from AirSim, Mach Effects muffling tapers just before existing the atmosphere to have a smooth transition from Atmosphere to Vacuum if Vacuum Muffling is not set to Silent. This behavior results into a last sonic boom sometimes and ship becomes audible again because the mach angle is expanding back to normal.

You wont hear this transition if Vacuum Muffling is set to silent.

Edited by ensou04