[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

8 hours ago, ensou04 said:

@mateusviccari@Vandest AirSim Quality does two muffling effects, one is for Atmosphere Density and the other is for mach effects. Mach Effects Muffling is dependent on camera angle and speed. It also causes sonic booms when entering the mach cone.

What you are hearing is expected behavior from AirSim, Mach Effects muffling tapers just before existing the atmosphere to have a smooth transition from Atmosphere to Vacuum if Vacuum Muffling is not set to Silent. This behavior results into a last sonic boom sometimes and ship becomes audible again because the mach angle is expanding back to normal.

You wont hear this transition if Vacuum Muffling is set to silent.

Oh that was it, I always launch my rockets with a sideways camera, I tried looking from the bottom now and experienced the smooth transition I was expecting. Is it possible to disable the cone muffling effect and keep the atmosphere > vacuum muffling on? I never watch my launches looking towards the rocket's bottom, I am a man of respect after all :D

4 hours ago, mateusviccari said:

Is it possible to disable the cone muffling effect and keep the atmosphere > vacuum muffling on? I never watch my launches looking towards the rocket's bottom, I am a man of respect after all :D

well i never intended for you to watch your rocket from the bottom :P. but you have two ways to not have mach cone effects:

1. go to RSE Settings and see the Advance Page, set Mach Effects Amount to zero to disable mach effects completely while keeping other neat effects like realistic distance attenuation.

2. Or, Set Muffling Quality to Normal. this quality setting is the regular Muffler.

22 hours ago, ensou04 said:

@mateusviccari@Vandest AirSim Quality does two muffling effects, one is for Atmosphere Density and the other is for mach effects. Mach Effects Muffling is dependent on camera angle and speed. It also causes sonic booms when entering the mach cone.

What you are hearing is expected behavior from AirSim, Mach Effects muffling tapers just before existing the atmosphere to have a smooth transition from Atmosphere to Vacuum if Vacuum Muffling is not set to Silent. This behavior results into a last sonic boom sometimes and ship becomes audible again because the mach angle is expanding back to normal.

You wont hear this transition if Vacuum Muffling is set to silent.

I was completely forgot that the mach effect can make that what happened to @mateusviccari.
I wasn't really sure about atmosphere density or altitude, so I didn't mean to say stupidity. But I suspected that you had done something clever, and in that way RSE can be compatible with any planet by its atmosphere, so compatible with RSS or OPM.

23 hours ago, Makrom said:

RSS here, muffling starts at5000m, it never goes really silent, only very low, sonic boom appears at around 48-50km and the sounds comes back from there.

Thank you for your feedback.
Like @ensou04 said, it must become silent if you set Vacuum Muffling to silent.
Normally, sonic boom can only be hear when your ship is over sound speed (mach) AND if your ship is in atmosphere AND if you look this ship from back to front. When you look your ship from back, the camera is behind your ship and this ship (and this camera) goes faster than sound, so camera can't hear sound from this ship, and when you turn this camera around this ship to front you start by hear sonic boom and then the sound of ship.
If it doesn't happen like that, it's a problem.

If you don't like physical reality (that may seem weird, but real), follow instructions given by @ensou04 just above this post.

10 hours ago, Vandest said:

I've made a little video to see what we can expect with RSE and its settings. Don't hesitate to pump up volume !

Totally off-subject, but that trick of aiming the camera at a launch clamp to get a ground view of the launch is pretty smart. :D

But also a great video comparing the audio settings. I had forgotten to actually dial up the limiter and muffler settings. MUCH better now!

Edited by Beetlecat

On 6/19/2022 at 12:51 PM, Vandest said:

Thank you for your feedback.

If you don't like physical reality (that may seem weird, but real), follow instructions given by @ensou04 just above this post.

I like physical reality, That´s why I´m using this mod, I did the report because somebody ask for it in a previous message.

thnks,

3 hours ago, Makrom said:

I like physical reality, That´s why I´m using this mod, I did the report because somebody ask for it in a previous message.

thnks,

Yes, it was me. I asked to know how it work for others who use RSS and RSE.

About "physical reality", my words were a little hard but I don't make any judgment, everyone is free to play KSP as they see fit. This is what is the strength of this game.
You did well to specify it, I should rather have said: If you prefer to consider camera is virtual and not a physical object. I'm sorry, I had to be tired at that time.

The @Vandest's video is very nice demo of the mod features which could surely be referenced in the OP.

But the thing not shown is the odd behavior when switching from flight to orbital map and back. @ensou04, could you please have a look at this (even if lending an ear would be more appropriate)?

Thanks

New updates available!

Rocket Sound Enhancement v0.9.5 (Plugin)

Download:  https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/releases/tag/0.9.5

Changes

• Fixed OneShot Samples playing with the wrong pitch value
  • Fixed AirSim Filter not taking effect sometimes.
  • Fixed SonicBoom SoundLayer Support
  • Removed AirSim Filters from SonicBoom sources

Rocket Sound Enhancement Default v1.2.3 (Config and Sound Pack)

Download: https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/releases/tag/1.2.3

Mod Support

Changes

• New Engage Sounds
  • New Sonic Boom Sounds (Near and Far)
  • New "Liquid_Burst_Heavy", "Liquid_Burst_Bass" and "Liquid_Burst_Lifter" Samples
  • New "SRB_Burst_Heavy" and "SRB_Burst_Light" Samples
  • Removed Unused RCS Samples
  • Fixed Jet Engines having stock spool sound with RealPlume installed
  • Added missing RealPlume Plumes
Edited by ensou04

20 hours ago, Vandest said:

Hello @DfA-DoM,

I was never encounter this odd behavior, so I had no chance to show it. Can you explain what do you mean by this ?

When reaching orbital altitude in flight, the rocket sound is gradually muffed and the soundscape is becoming rather quiet, but when switching into the orbital map screen, the sound seems to be restored to the usual/stock global level, which now is sounding... quite harsh and rough now. The same kind of annoyance is appearing when choosing to revert the current launch.

(my post crossed the release one, so my expectations may be met. I need to try it soon)

Edited by DfA-DoM

7 minutes ago, DfA-DoM said:

When reaching orbital altitude in flight, the rocket sound is gradually muffed and the soundscape is becoming rather quiet, but when switching into the orbital map screen, the sound seems to be restored to the usual/stock global level, which now is sounding... quite harsh and rough now. The same kind of annoyance is appearing when choosing to revert the current launch.

I'm not sure what's happening here, can you take a video of it? it's really hard to describe audio bugs sometimes with words and weird sound issues don't usually present themselves in the logs.

I came here to say the startup sound on the Bobcat engine is *chef's kiss*

And thank you for the fix for SoundtrackEditor! I just reinstalled it again and am loving it. Excellent work. :) 

Edited by Zelda

1 hour ago, Zelda said:

I came here to say the startup sound on the Bobcat engine is *chef's kiss*

And thank you for the fix for SoundtrackEditor! I just reinstalled it again and am loving it. Excellent work. :) 

finally someone noticed it thank you! its the only engine that uses that startup sound too :D

Just now, ensou04 said:

finally someone noticed it thank you! its the only engine that uses that startup sound too :D

It brought a huge smile to my face when I heard it! It's perfect. 

8 hours ago, wreckreation said:

AddOn Version Checker is claiming there's a version 0.9.6 of RSE available, but CKAN and github both say otherwise.  Any idea where AVC is getting this idea?

its probably getting the version on github repo itself (i updated the .version there). that update is still WIP

Edited by ensou04

New Update Availabe!

Rocket Sound Enhancement v0.9.6 (Plugin)

Download:  https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/releases/tag/0.9.6

Changes

• Improved AirSimulationFilter Performance
  • Added RSE_KerbalEVA with support for jetpack sounds. by  @pizzaoverhead in #16
  • Added alternative "SOUNDLAYERGROUP" Node for SoundLayer Groups in RSE_Engines, RSE_RotorEngines & RSE_Wheels
  • Renamed "EnableWaveShaperFilter" to "EnableDistortionFilter"
  • Tweaked Global AirSim Settings
  • Removed "RSE_AUDIO_LOOP". assign a name to "RSE_AUDIO" if used more than once in a single EFFECTS subnode

Rocket Sound Enhancement Default v1.2.4

Download: https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/releases/tag/1.2.4

Note: Delete the old Rocket Sound Enhancement Default folder to prevent any conflicts.

Mod Support

Changes

• Re-balanced Engines Loudness
  • Converted Engine Patches to use "Presets"
  • Decoupler and Docking Port Auto Patcher
  • Added KerbalEVA jetpack sounds. by @pizzaoverhead in #1
  • Updated Sepratron to only use one Thrust Layer
  • Updated LES to only use one Thrust Layer
Edited by ensou04

Now that plugin performance has been dealt with (mostly) and the config pack more streamlined. The next update will be finalizing Jets and Turbines so consider the existing sounds for those as marked for update, change and/or deletion.

I'll also be working on a Wiki guide for Part Sound Modding Parity with RSE Default with its new "preset" system inspired by RealPlume for engines.

I might as well list which sounds are gonna stay and which ones will probably be changed or updated:

These are Final, existing Sounds from these won't be replaced/changed. Might be slightly updated but unlikely. New Sounds maybe added but shouldn't break anything.

• Atmosphere
  • Decouplers
  • Engines
  • RCS
  • Propellers

Might be updated/improved but no file name change. These are low priority.

• ElectricMotors
  • Wheels

Will be updated and changed.

• JetsTurbines (High Priority)
  • Physics (Maybe, planning on replacing the sounds for better quality ones)

Other Config plans are swapping out stock AUDIO nodes to use RSE_AUDIO for several parts that don't need RSE Modules. These are parts like some of Breaking Ground parts (Robotic Arms, etc). On the plugin side, I'm planning on tackling servos, resource converters and parachutes. Let me know if I missed something.

After all of these and after any bug fixes that we'll have to deal with. The mod will now be finally "Released".

Edited by ensou04

Rocket Sound Enhancement Default Preset Modding Guide is now up! : https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/wiki

Alongside this, I made an online tool to help create configs with a balanced volume: https://ensou04.github.io/RocketSoundEnhancementDefault/PresetConfigurator/

If anyone has any questions on using RSE Default on your own part mods, please let me know!

Edited by ensou04

@ensou04

Using RSE in my career game, started getting constant IndexOutOfRangeExceptions

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at RocketSoundEnhancement.PartModules.RSE_Module.PlaySoundLayer (RocketSoundEnhancement.SoundLayer soundLayer, System.Single control, System.Single volume, System.Boolean rndOneShotVol) [0x002e8] in <38e9f5d8981a4a08b8e345cb0552120c>:0 
   at RocketSoundEnhancement.PartModules.RSE_RCS.LateUpdate () [0x000fb] in <38e9f5d8981a4a08b8e345cb0552120c>:0 

Complete log files, ModuleManager.configcache, and the Logs directory (from various mods) in the main KSP dire are in this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cxputegk175eyf/RSE_Errors-2022-07-10.zip?dl=0

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help