[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

1 hour ago, ensou04 said:

Thank you.

if you read back, this was discussed. Try changing Muffler Quality down to "Full" or "Lite" instead if "Airsim". If its still laggy, then chances are its not specifically RSE. ksp.log would be very helpful

Ok, will try the settings on muffer quality, this is the link to the log if it is of any help  

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4oeqddfa97y5rw5/KSP.log/file

1 hour ago, coyotesfrontier said:

I'm having a similar problem where the Soundtrack Editor music heavily stutters during loading screens, creating a very disturbing cacophony of sounds. My install is heavily modded so I experience quite a bit of lag during loading. Without RSE, the music just intermittently pauses instead of stuttering during loading, which is much less bad. Perhaps we could have a mode that automatically mutes music during loading to prevent this?

I might have an idea what's causing this, I've noticed this way back even when RSE was still simpler. I am looking into it.

14 minutes ago, Makrom said:

Ok, will try the settings on muffer quality, this is the link to the log if it is of any help  

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4oeqddfa97y5rw5/KSP.log/file

Seems like nothing's broken. Do note that even if not using any of the RSE Features "muffler, limiter etc" there will be some performance impact specially for large part count crafts. audiosources are basically doubled with the RSE Default.

Hi, I've recently installed Rocket Sound Enhancement and I've been enjoying it greatly. However, it seems that it just completely disables realplume, when RSE is installed realplume just refuses to even show up where it normally does. I was wondering if this was probably just some installation mistake on my part, or if this is a known issue with RSE/Realplume?

2 hours ago, ensou04 said:

I might have an idea what's causing this, I've noticed this way back even when RSE was still simpler. I am looking into it.

Seems like nothing's broken. Do note that even if not using any of the RSE Features "muffler, limiter etc" there will be some performance impact specially for large part count crafts. audiosources are basically doubled with the RSE Default.

Could a dedicated audio hardware (soundcard) solve it? (I´m using the motherboard sound chip)

29 minutes ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

Hi, I've recently installed Rocket Sound Enhancement and I've been enjoying it greatly. However, it seems that it just completely disables realplume, when RSE is installed realplume just refuses to even show up where it normally does. I was wondering if this was probably just some installation mistake on my part, or if this is a known issue with RSE/Realplume?

Was just testing realplume earlier, its should be working fine.

13 minutes ago, Makrom said:

Could a dedicated audio hardware (soundcard) solve it? (I´m using the motherboard sound chip)

With stuttering, cracking and other audio artifacts it probably helps. Although custom audiofilters still runs on cpu afaik based on my testing of the airsim filter. Did the stuttering of sounds stopped when you tried the other muffler quality settings?

1 hour ago, ensou04 said:

Was just testing realplume earlier, its should be working fine.

With stuttering, cracking and other audio artifacts it probably helps. Although custom audiofilters still runs on cpu afaik based on my testing of the airsim filter. Did the stuttering of sounds stopped when you tried the other muffler quality settings?

on muffer setting "lite" it helps a bit, but doesn´t stop the sound stuttering

Edited by Makrom
typo

12 hours ago, Makrom said:

on muffer setting "lite" it helps a bit, but doesn´t stop the sound stuttering

I am currently working on optimizing the mod so hopefully we'll get better performance with v1.0

I'm noticing the chatterer interior ship ambient sounds as well as the vocals while outside the ship are quite a bit louder with Full or AirSim.

I had to turn them down to 1% so they're not literally as loud or louder than rocket sounds lol.

3 hours ago, Kwebib said:

I'm noticing the chatterer interior ship ambient sounds as well as the vocals while outside the ship are quite a bit louder with Full or AirSim.

I had to turn them down to 1% so they're not literally as loud or louder than rocket sounds lol.

They are affected by the audio limiter on those modes that's why they're louder.  Although I could have just ignored chatterer and kept them as is but the problem was "AffectChatterer" wont work on Full and Airsim. (I don't know why you would want Chatterer Chatter be muffled tbh)

Currently working on optimizing the mod. Plan is to keep chatterer sounds intact while only affecting chatterer ambience.

Managed to improve the performance of the mod on the dev branch! Stuttering and glitching sounds has been reduced significantly specially on 100+ part ships. Fixed the AirSimFilter taking so much CPU when its not doing anything which was half part cause of the lag on large part count ships along side the dynamically adding and removing sources. All audiosources are now initialized before flight and are disabled instead of destroyed when not in used which improves stability and performance. Although improved, there's still some stuttering with music whenever there's a scene change with SoundtrackEditor.

During my profiling, I confirmed my suspicion that the Lite Quality setting for the Muffler was actually the same CPU usage and sometimes even more CPU intensive than Full Quality. This is due to the fact that the Full Quality option uses Unity's built in LowpassFilter effect on the Mixer which is very fast while Lite is custom LowpassFilter. I decided I'll remove Lite all together and just have Full which will now be called "Normal" and AirSim Quality Options for the Muffler.  I'm also deciding on changing the limiter to use Unity's Limiter from the Mixer instead, hopefully this will improve CPU DSP usage further.

Check out the audio cpu graphs for the muffler performance: https://imgur.com/a/msjA397

I did a lot of refactoring of the code and some improved features regarding SoundLayers. SoundLayers can now share a single AudioSource with each other if they have the same SoundLayer name and belong to the same Part. With Engines I added some code that allows Multi-Mode engines to have a proper connected transition between modes. Jet Engines like the Panther now sounds like one engine instead of sounding like turning off one engine and turning on another one when changing Engine Modes. OneShot AudioSources like "Engage", "Flameout" and "Collisions" will now always share a single AudioSource instead of having one for each action.

Last note, Chatterer is now properly supported. Chatter, beeps and EVA sounds (eg: breath) are unaffected by RSE while ambient sounds like wind are properly routed and muffled. Same goes with Soundtrack Editor.

New update will be available soon.

Edited by ensou04

@ensou04 I have a little request before you finish the update. Could you please also exclude this mod from the muffling like chatterer and soundtrack editor, thanks!

5 hours ago, Forked Camphor said:

@ensou04 I have a little request before you finish the update. Could you please also exclude this mod from the muffling like chatterer and soundtrack editor, thanks!

No problem! Thanks for letting me know. I should really make a blacklist system that is easily configurable so we don't have to make anything hardcoded

4 hours ago, ensou04 said:

No problem! Thanks for letting me know. I should really make a blacklist system that is easily configurable so we don't have to make anything hardcoded

I'm sure you're aware, but ReStock has a blacklisting system setup, in case you wanna tae a peek at how its done? vOv :P

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

I'm sure you're aware, but ReStock has a blacklisting system setup, in case you wanna tae a peek at how its done? vOv :P

i actually made it simpler, with some exceptions like stock and chatterer wind, the muffler just assumes any sources that has its position to zero or has a spatialBlend set to 2D audio  is a GUI sound element. so GPWS isn't being affected by the mod now. :D

2 hours ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

I've been trying to do a bit more digging and RSE just doesn't seem to want to work with Realplume. 

I just re-checked your Logs, you are using an old version of RocketSoundEnhancementDefault (you didn't have the new sounds on the loading phase) it's probably the one that had the broken realplume patch. Delete RSE Plugin and Config Folders and Install the latest version (plugin: v0.9.1, configs: v1.2.0).  then report back if that works.

Edited by ensou04

17 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

Delete RSE Plugin and Config Folders and Install the latest version (plugin: v0.9.1, configs: v1.2.0).  then report back if that works.

I just deleted the old folders and cleared the MM cache, and made sure to install the latest versions from github, but realplume still isn't working.

7 minutes ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

I just deleted the old folders and cleared the MM cache, and made sure to install the latest versions from github, but realplume still isn't working.

please upload the ksp.log

9 hours ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

i really dont see how this is still breaking for you, what i did find is you have both Waterfall-Restock and Stock-Waterfall installed? I dont think they're supposed to be used together, choose either Restock and Waterfall-Restock or just Stock parts with Stock-Waterfall. besides that, i really don't see how RSE Default would be breaking plumes if the patches only removes @AUDIO{} nodes.

Edited by ensou04

what i did find is you have both Waterfall-Restock and Stock-Waterfall installed? I dont think they're supposed to be used together, choose either Restock and Waterfall-Restock or just Stock parts with Stock-Waterfall.

Yeah, I only have stock waterfall installed for the few engines that waterfall-restock doesn't config, like the jet engines and the bobcat and cheetah engines.

besides that, i really don't see how RSE Default would be breaking plumes if the patches only removes @AUDIO{} nodes.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. I'll try removing the RSE patches for Realplume, that'll probably fix it.

1 hour ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

Yeah, I only have stock waterfall installed for the few engines that waterfall-restock doesn't config, like the jet engines and the bobcat and cheetah engines.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. I'll try removing the RSE patches for Realplume, that'll probably fix it.

I saw that you have Engine Light installed and remembered that cause me some problems when I used it, maybe a long shot but you can try removing it and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by Guest

Custom Mixer Routing! It's now very easy to add proper muffling support to mods. These are meant for static sources (CHATTER, GPWS etc),  sounds that are dynamic like engines or robot arms will not work because these are routed once when loaded. You can assign sound sources to 3 channels: Focus (if this sound represents the active vessel), Interior and Exterior (Ambiance), or you can give it the "Ignore" Flag.  Sources with this flag will not be affected by RSE's muffling and sound leveling, good for GUI sounds.

Not all mod sources have to be added here, RSE already ignores sounds that might be GUI related by default. This is only meant for sources that are either missed by the exclusion or if you want to route them specifically instead of just being ignored, for example: the airlock sound effect from chatterer is considered as a GUI source, but I want to route it to the Focus channel instead so it gets muffled like the active vessel.

RSE_SETTINGS
{
	CustomMixerRouting
	{
		AudioSources
		{
			MusicLogic = Ignore
			SoundtrackEditor = Ignore
			PartActionController(Clone) = Ignore
		}
		AudioClips
		{
			Chatterer/Sounds/AAE/effect/breathing = Interior
			Chatterer/Sounds/AAE/effect/airlock = Focus
			Chatterer/Sounds/AAE/wind/mario1298__weak-wind = Exterior
		}
	}
}

Another example: rbr_chatter_player is the audiosource from Chatterer that handles chatter, it's automatically ignored by the mod. But if you want it to be affected by sound mastering without getting muffled you can give it the "Interior" flag. This lets RSE know to treat it as an Interior Source regardless if the camera is in IVA or not.

Edited by ensou04

I tried removing the realplume patch RSE had, but that still didn't seem to do anything.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:30 PM, Forked Camphor said:

I saw that you have Engine Light installed and remembered that cause me some problems when I used it, maybe a long shot but you can try removing it and see if that fixes the problem.

I thought that might be causing some problems too, so I removed it, but nothing seems to have changed. 

At this point I have literally no idea what might be causing the issues, so I'll just wait for the next release of RSE and see if that fixes anything.