[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

8 hours ago, Lijazos said:

Often, changing to map view and back to normal view will completely kill my engines sound, forcing me to restart the game to get them back.  Not entirely sure if it's RSE related. @ensou04

ksp.log >> https://www.mediafire.com/file/09efyoebda483q0/KSP%282%29.log/file

Doesnt seem like RSE is crashing or anything, lots of log spam though.  There has been reports that KSP has been borking sound for a while.

Update is ready! I just need to know what's the ideal default settings for RSE.

Audio Limiter:

• Balanced
  • Cinematic
  • NASA-Reels

Audio Muffler:

• Lite - the current muffler
  • Full  - a new muffler setting, similar to Audio Muffler Redux. It does selective muffling if the source is the active vessel or not. but does not do wall occlusion like AMR. ex: you can hear your own sounds in IVA but cant hear sound sources not connected to your ship in vacuum. includes doppler effects.
  • AirSim - a new muffler setting that simulates sound muffling over distance and effects like comb-filtering, semi-directional audio, slight distortion, mach effects and sonic booms (provided by a config). It also includes doppler effects. Inspired by the old Atmospheric Sound Enhancement Mod by pizzaoverhead.

Which one of the settings should be default?

Edited by ensou04

"Cinematic" and "AirSim" should be the default for me. Taking into consideration what is this mod for, or maybe is the settings that most fit my idea of this mod.

AirSim could be the default it's just a bit more CPU intensive compared to Lite and Full (+-3% more cpu usage). On that note, there's no noticeable performance impact between Lite and Full so I'm actually considering removing Lite altogether. But we'll keep Lite just in case.

Personally I really like NASA-Reels because it really brings out the details of the sound effects. But it might be a bit too compressed for anyone else. Cinematic for me is a bit too quiet I might tweak it to be louder but not as compressed like NASA-Reels and Balanced.

Maybe we should go with Balanced for the Limiter, AirSim for the Muffler with the Muffled Vacuum as the preset  at least for now in the v0.9 update so everyone can give it a try. Then we'll decide with the final defaults for v1.0

Edited by ensou04

1 minute ago, ensou04 said:

AirSim could be the default it's just a bit more CPU intensive compared to Lite and Full (+-3% more cpu usage). On that note, there's no noticeable performance impact between Lite and Full so I'm actually considering removing Lite altogether. But we'll keep Lite just in case.

Personally I really like NASA-Reels because it really brings out the details of the sound effects. But it might be a bit too compressed for anyone else. Cinematic for me is a bit too quiet I might tweak it to be louder but not as compressed like NASA-Reels and Balanced.

So I'm thinking Balanced for the Limiter, Full or AirSim for the Muffler with Muffled Vacuum as the preset.

I'm assuming all this settings affect music in game as well, or that was fixed? In my current install, with version 0.7.2 of the mod, the music gets muffled in IVA, and also in external view if I use the audio muffler. Not that big of a thing, I can just listen to music in youtube or something, but been using soundtrack editor mod for months and I've taken the time to add and organize a lot of custom music, and don't want all that work wasted if I can avoid it.

26 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

Maybe we should go with Balanced for the Limiter, AirSim for the Muffler with the Muffled Vacuum as the preset  at least for now in the v0.9 update so everyone can give it a try. Then we'll decide with the final defaults for v1.0

Any way (I have no idea what I'm talking about) to have some sort of "Mixed" - which is AirSim or Muffled Vacuum that dynamically switches when crossing some low atmospheric pressure setting - that might be abrupt I suppose.

For people who are mad, is there a way to actually have both at the same time - AirSim _then_ Muffled (?) - basically I'd want either depending on what I'm doing (flying a plane, in sppaaaace).

If this is a pipe dream, never mind. I'm just happy an update is coming! Yay!

33 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Any way (I have no idea what I'm talking about) to have some sort of "Mixed" - which is AirSim or Muffled Vacuum that dynamically switches when crossing some low atmospheric pressure setting - that might be abrupt I suppose.

For people who are mad, is there a way to actually have both at the same time - AirSim _then_ Muffled (?) - basically I'd want either depending on what I'm doing (flying a plane, in sppaaaace).

If this is a pipe dream, never mind. I'm just happy an update is coming! Yay!

AirSim smoothly transitions its mach related effects to no mach effects in vacuum approach so it definitely works with Muffled Vacuum because it doesn't actually do Atmospheric Density Muffling itself, that's still done by the regular muffler.  AirSim is still in effect in vacuum but it's only doing Distance Muffling and Comb-effects.

57 minutes ago, Forked Camphor said:

I'm assuming all this settings affect music in game as well, or that was fixed? In my current install, with version 0.7.2 of the mod, the music gets muffled in IVA, and also in external view if I use the audio muffler. Not that big of a thing, I can just listen to music in youtube or something, but been using soundtrack editor mod for months and I've taken the time to add and organize a lot of custom music, and don't want all that work wasted if I can avoid it.

Music is a not an issue anymore specially for Full Muffling. i believe that's been fixed with Lite as well together with extra chatterer stuff from the a PR i merged before.

Edited by ensou04

5 hours ago, ensou04 said:

Music is a not an issue anymore specially for Full Muffling. i believe that's been fixed with Lite as well together with extra chatterer stuff from the a PR i merged before.

Awesome! Thanks for your work on this mod

Rocket Sound Enhancement Plugin and Config Update!

Downloads

Rocket Sound Enhancement (Plugin)

v0.9.1

• Added Support for Internal Space Mods (RPM, MAS)
  • Fixed Music Getting Muffled at higher Muffler Settings

v0.9.0

New Audio Muffler Quality Settings

• Lite: The Old Basic Muffler
  • Full: Mixer based Audio Muffler with Dedicated channels for Exterior Sounds, Focused Vessel and Interior. With Doppler Effect
  • AirSim: Works on top of Full Quality, Parts with RSE Modules will simulate realistic sound attenuation over distance, comb-filtering, mach effects, sonic booms and distortion. Stock sound sources has basic mach and distance attenuation (volume or filter based) support.

Changes

• RSE_RotorEngines Part Module
  • RSE_Propellers{} Config Node for propeller blades. Works when attached to Rotors with an RSE_RotorEngines Part Module
  • Motor{} Sound Group for RSE_Wheels. Torque Sound Group has been removed.
  • ShipEffects now uses Sound Groups for Physics Controllers instead of using soundlayer.data
  • DYNAMICPRESSURE{}, SONICBOOM{} and REENTRYHEAT{} Sound Group for ShipEffects
  • Simplified Audio Muffler Settings
  • Interior and Exterior Volume Settings
  • Support for SoundtrackEditor music sources by @KvaNTy in #11
  • Support for misc Chatterer sound sources by @KvaNTy in #12

Rocket Sound Enhancement Default v1.2.0 (Config and Sound Pack)

• Revamped Rocket and SRB Engines
  • Revamped Motors
  • Revamped Decouplers
  • Atmospheric Wind and Sonic Booms
  • Turbines and Jet Engines
  • Propeller Sounds
  • Support for Grounded Wheels
  • Remastered, re-balanced and fixed various sound effects that was causing clicks.
Edited by ensou04

Plugin Update: i forgot to do this for v0.9.0

• Added Support for Internal Space Mods (RPM, MAS)
  • Fixed Music Getting Muffled at higher Muffler Settings

Downloads

Edited by ensou04

Happy Birthday @coyotesfrontier !

@ensou04 congrats on the new release, and thanks again for all the hard work!

I have a couple of observations. Full and AirSim mufflers muffle the stock music. Also, I think the SRB sounds could be a little more punchy, for lack of a better word. I think I actually prefer the legacy SRB sounds. What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

Happy Birthday @coyotesfrontier !

@ensou04 congrats on the new release, and thanks again for all the hard work!

I have a couple of observations. Full and AirSim mufflers muffle the stock music. Also, I think the SRB sounds could be a little more punchy, for lack of a better word. I think I actually prefer the legacy SRB sounds. What do you think?

Man if only i waited lol. I saw the problem with music. I did an  oopsie, I'll fix it later.

Regarding the SRBs, I'm not sure what do you mean by punchy (like a kick drum?). They sound the way they are to balance things out. They are just as loud and bassy as the old SRB sounds but with more treble.

I guess I mean when I press spacebar to stage my SRBs in the first stage, I'd prefer them to be a little louder and boomier. I know boomy is another ambiguous word. It's hard to describe sounds with words.

It's most noticeable when I set the thrust limiter down with an SRB because its TWR is too high for the size rocket I'm launching. Lower thrust SRBs are just a little anti-climactic when you launch lol.

Maybe it's just my preference to have more bass and less treble on the SRBs.

Also, the legacy SRB sounds had this "lead-in" to the sound at the start, which was quite nice. Also hard to describe with words. It's like a startup sound for the SRB.

Edited by Kwebib

19 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

I guess I mean when I press spacebar to stage my SRBs in the first stage, I'd prefer them to be a little louder and boomier. I know boomy is another ambiguous word. It's hard to describe sounds with words.

It's most noticeable when I set the thrust limiter down with an SRB because its TWR is too high for the size rocket I'm launching. Lower thrust SRBs are just a little anti-climactic when you launch lol.

Maybe it's just my preference to have more bass and less treble on the SRBs.

Also, the legacy SRB sounds had this "lead-in" to the sound at the start, which was quite nice. Also hard to describe with words. It's like a startup sound for the SRB.

so like a kick then? try adding the BURSTS{} from one of the engines to the SRBs and see if it works.  I think the reason why I didnt add those to the SRBs is because BURSTS only works if the thrust changes abruptly, it seems like SRBs have a gradual thrust compared to regular engines. I'm not sure. I'll probably make dedicated Startup sounds for SRBs on the next update.

The lead-ins/startups on the other hand has been removed from all engine sounds to eliminate unwanted combing/flanging entirely.

EDIT:
music should not be muffled anymore: https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/releases/tag/0.9.1

Edited by ensou04

Hello, congrats for the mod, great sound effects, I noticed some stuttering on the sound on vessels with many parts and maybe some added lag? not sure if it´s something caused for the mod itself or by a heavily modded game in my case, I tried the mod on an RSS/RO install, maybe there is some compatibility issue?

anyway, sounds great, thanks!

43 minutes ago, Makrom said:

Hello, congrats for the mod, great sound effects, I noticed some stuttering on the sound on vessels with many parts and maybe some added lag? not sure if it´s something caused for the mod itself or by a heavily modded game in my case, I tried the mod on an RSS/RO install, maybe there is some compatibility issue?

anyway, sounds great, thanks!

Thank you.

if you read back, this was discussed. Try changing Muffler Quality down to "Full" or "Lite" instead if "Airsim". If its still laggy, then chances are its not specifically RSE. ksp.log would be very helpful

I'm having a similar problem where the Soundtrack Editor music heavily stutters during loading screens, creating a very disturbing cacophony of sounds. My install is heavily modded so I experience quite a bit of lag during loading. Without RSE, the music just intermittently pauses instead of stuttering during loading, which is much less bad. Perhaps we could have a mode that automatically mutes music during loading to prevent this?

Edited by coyotesfrontier