[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

6 hours ago, Tyko said:

Have you tried installing it with 1.3.1 yet? I think it would work since I don't think RealPlume has had any major changes since 1.3.1 and that's what RSE depends on.

Right, I'll give it a try. I just figured since this addon uses its own .dll, the latest version might need to be exported using the 1.3.1 files.

11 minutes ago, liquidhype said:

Right, I'll give it a try. I just figured since this addon uses its own .dll, the latest version might need to be exported using the 1.3.1 files.

It might...only takes 10 minutes to try it out. Just suggesting it's worth your effort over assuming it won't work. Because making things backwards compatible usually isn't high on modders' todo lists  :) 

Edited by Tyko

On 11/6/2018 at 2:40 AM, ensou04 said:

Rocket Sound Enhancement

I've had gripes on how engines in the game sounded both stock and modded. its either too low and uninteresting or too deafening loud and noticeable looping effect. The goal of this mod is to fix that.

Sound Effects are 100% Synthesized, utilizing layering to make the sound effect more dynamic using a custom plugin. Rocket's volume attenuation is more realistic by using a low-pass filter mimicking the sound of rockets in real life at different distances (further you are , the more bass you hear). 

Most engine types have unique sounds qualities using different types of running sounds plus layering sound effects. Cryogenic Engines sound deeper compared to Kerolox based engines which sound more dirtier for example.

Download : https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/releases 

License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 | Source: https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement

Requirements

Recommended:

Future Goals/Plans

• Moar sound effects.
  • ShipEffects integration
  • Create Custom Per-Engine configs making Realplume Dependency an option.

Showcase:

Other Test Videos:

Reveal hidden contents

Change log:

v0.4.0 Engine Oomf Update
- added one shot samples to most lower stage engines.

v0.3.0
- Ammonialox, Cryogenic-UpperLower patches
- Thump! Featured on most plumes
- Redone lowpass curves
- Volume are now based on Engine Thrust
- New SRB Crackle sound layer for Solid-Lower
- Reverted Engage, Disengage and Flameout sounds to stock.

v0.2.0 Plugin Update
- Engines now uses a custom Audio handler via RSEAudio plugin
- Fixed patch errors: Hydrogen-NTR and Hydrogen-NTR-HightTemp were referencing an incorrect plume config
- Engines now have a realistic lowpass-based volume rolloff attenuation
- Rebalanced and improved sound assets

v0.1.1
- Fix Small Engine Volumes
- Hypergolic-OMS White and Red
- Kerolox-Vernier
- Removed sound_lqd_tiny

pre-v0.1.0
- Hydrogen-NTR
- Hydrogen-NTR-HighTemp
- Hydrolox-Lower
- Hydrolox-Upper
- Hypergolic-Lower
- Hypergolic-OMS-Red
- Hypergolic-OMS-White
- Hypergolic-Upper
- Kerolox-Lower
- Kerolox-Lower-F1
- Kerolox-Upper
- Kerolox-Vernier
- Solid-Lower
- Solid-Sepmotor
- Solid-Upper
- Solid-Vacuum

If you don't mind, how did you get that camera view that follows your rocket from the ground?

On 2/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, SnacklessKerbal said:

If you don't mind, how did you get that camera view that follows your rocket from the ground?

@ensou04Is this mod only working with smokescreen/realplume? because some mods like Bluedog uses the new stock-plumes too.

Edited by Cheesecake

On 2/4/2019 at 4:19 PM, Cheesecake said:

@ensou04Is this mod only working with smokescreen/realplume? because some mods like Bluedog uses the new stock-plumes too.

For now it is. later updates will have per-engine configs instead of relying on RealPlume/SmokeScreen, the dependency is temporary so I can test sounds, effects and features more quickly.

Edited by ensou04

11 hours ago, woeller said:

Will it be possible to add engine sounds via configs so that mods will benefit as well?

Yep, it'll act as a library of sounds with its own audio handler plugin meant to replace stock's.

Edited by ensou04

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2019 at 7:16 AM, woeller said:

Any News?

I'm also going through lots of older / exciting mods to see if I missed any developments. The urge to "ping" for updates is strong. :)

On 2/11/2019 at 9:19 PM, ensou04 said:

Yep, it'll act as a library of sounds with its own audio handler plugin meant to replace stock's.

This would be great -- especially  for any new mod / dlc parts that come along. Looking forward to your return!

• 1 month later...

Hi @ensou04 and @sarbian, I experienced an error today thats seems to be an error of Rocket Sound Enhancement, but if you look closer it might be a ModuleManager problem:

[LOG 2019-08-04 12:21:21.282] Done patching
[WRN 2019-08-04 12:21:21.282] Errors in patch prevents the creation of the cache
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:21:21.383] ModuleManager: 73838 patches applied, found <color=orange>37 errors</color>
5 errors related to GameData/RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Lower.cfg
8 errors related to GameData/RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper.cfg
12 errors related to GameData/RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Kerolox-Lower.cfg
8 errors related to GameData/RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Kerolox-Upper.cfg
4 errors related to GameData/RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Kerolox-Vernier.cfg

and in detail:

[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/1mVestaVR1/KW1mengineVestaVR1.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Athena/RSBathenaOAM.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to RealScaleBoosters/Parts/ISRO/RSBtankPSLVps4.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to RN_US_Rockets/Thor/KK_TR201.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to RN_US_Rockets/TitanIV/lr91_11.cfg/PART
[WRN 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Cannot find key maxThrust in MODULE
[ERR 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key volume = #$../../../MODULE[ModuleEngines*]/maxThrust$
[ERR 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key volume = #$../../../MODULE[ModuleEngines*]/maxThrust$
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to RN_US_Rockets/Vanguard/aj10_104.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to RN_US_Rockets/Vanguard/aj10_37.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEnginePoodle/liquidEnginePoodle.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-04 12:20:31.742] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-Upper/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-Upper]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume] to SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Engine/LiquidEngineLV-T91.cfg/PART

here is my KSP.log: https://we.tl/t-ifBrxcrS5J

regards

PatSch

Edited by ThePatsch78
typos

• 2 weeks later...

Just updated my additions:
https://github.com/Gordon-Dry/RocketSoundEnhancement/tree/fix_for_Realism_Overhaul

Do not feel irritated by "fix for Realism Overhaul" - if any of the listed EFFECTS is in any engine than the patch does its job:

Alcolox-Lower-A6
Ammonialox
CombinedPlume-Hydrolox-Lower
CombinedPlume-Hydrolox-Upper
CombinedPlumeHypergolic-Hypergolic-Lower
CombinedPlume-Hypergolic-OMS-White
CombinedPlume-Hypergolic-Vernier
CombinedPlume-Kerolox-Exhaust
CombinedPlume-Kerolox-Lower
CombinedPlume-Kerolox-Upper
CombinedPlume-Solid-Lower
CombinedPlume-Solid-Sepmotor
Cryogenic-UpperLower-125
Cryogenic-UpperLower-25
Cryogenic-UpperLower-375
fx-flea-running
fx-hammer-running
fx-poodle-running
fx-separatron-running
fx-swivel-running
fx-terrier-running
Hydrogen-NTR
Hydrogen-NTR-HighTemp
Hydrolox-Lower
Hydrolox-Upper
Hydynelox-A7
Hypergolic-Apollo-SM
Hypergolic-Lower
Hypergolic-OMS-Red
Hypergolic-OMS-White
Hypergolic-Upper
Hypergolic-Vernier
Kerolox-Lower
Kerolox-Lower-F1
Kerolox-Upper
Kerolox-Vernier
powerflame
running
running_escape
running_jettison
running-closed
Solid-Lower
Solid-Sepmotor
Solid-Upper
Solid-Vacuum

Updates, added:

fx-anvil-running
fx-boar-running
fx-valiant-running

More updates, added:

fx-mallet-running
fx-pug-running
fx-striker-running

Edited by Gordon Dry

20 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Just updated my additions:
https://github.com/Gordon-Dry/RocketSoundEnhancement/tree/fix_for_Realism_Overhaul

Do not feel irritated by "fix for Realism Overhaul" - if any of the listed EFFECTS is in any engine than the patch does its job:

Couple of questions on this:

1.  Are any of those patches useful for stock and other mods?

2.  What exactly needs to be done with your branch and the main release?

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

1.  Are any of those patches useful for stock and other mods?

2.  What exactly needs to be done with your branch and the main release?

1. yes, as long as any engine got any EFFECTS of the list, and the mod started with stock EFFECTS, I added RealismOverhaul fixes and additions
  2. it's already a PR on the main release, so you could merge it

Actually I need some fine tuning of the patches with the name beginning with "CombinedPlume".
As I just cloned the original configs to have configs that were missing it could be that some configs' EFFECTS are not 100% authentic looking and need tinkering as well.

Edited by Gordon Dry

@linuxgurugamer
I'm actually adding more patches into RocketSoundEnhancement to take custom sounds of other part packs into account - like FASA - but still give the parts the same treatment as the "normal" RocketSoundEnhancement patching does.
Those patch files will start with the comment

// this contains additional patches for custom sounds of part packs, also see below

I also check the raw sounds with headphones to decide if they're worth it or if the sound treatment of RocketSoundEnhancement should be used instead (old behaviour).
I will not give special treatment to sounds of deep space engines like Ion drives yet - as I use AudioMuffler and those parts mostly got custom sounds, like NearFuturePropulsion.
But I will take a raw listen to them whatsoever.

Hi @Gordon Dry,

thanks for the update, I installed it and all errors are gone, yeeeah! There is one little thing. When you're zooming out, the sound of the rocket engines is fading out noticeably later than without RocketSoundEnhancement. If this is working as intended - I'am fine with it. Just to let you know :)

Thank you for your great work!

PatSch

@ThePatsch78 in the RSE_Audio fields there is a value maxDistance.

I guess this is the one responsible for the fadeout - but tbh this is not my pair of shoes - I "only" added configs and made them compatible to "stuff".

Next day, more updates, added:

fx-ant-running
fx-corgi-running
fx-kickback-running
fx-mainsail-running
fx-nerv-running
fx-rhino-running

More features, added compatibility to the sounds shipped by part packs or RealPlume itself.

More updates, added:

add flameout patch alone to SRB where it's missing
rename a file to match the EFFECT name (it was a typo)
adding all engage, disengage and flameout on SRB where they're missing

Edited by Gordon Dry

@ensou04 @blowfish there is a patch file
GameData\RealPlume\RealPlumeAudio.cfg
which fights again the purpose of RocketSoundEnhancement:

//	Purpose:	This MM CFG changes the engage/activation sound for RealPlumes.

//	Commetary:	The sound is impressive for launches, but out of place for designs 
//				that rely on different sets of engines that a player turns on/off
//				as needed with the throttle at zero.
//				They can be VERY loud in the dead of space...

//	Part needs a Plume definition and not have SolidFuel.
//	SRBs are one-shot alway-on; a loud engage sound is befitting.
//	Dunno if I should include a check to exclude Jets; do any jets use RealPlumes?
@PART[*]:HAS[@PLUME[*],!RESOURCE[SolidFuel]]:NEEDS[RealPlume]:FINAL
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @engage
        {
            @AUDIO
            {
                @clip = sound_vent_medium 	//	Stock audio clip often used as the stock engage sound.
            }
        }
    }
}

It just tries to put the sound_vent_medium back into business ... but I guess it should not be a problem, an @ does not do anything when the node does not exist, right?

35 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I "only" added configs and made them compatible to "stuff".

Ok, got that :-)

39 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Next day, more updates, added:

39 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

More features, added compatibility to the sounds shipped by part packs or RealPlume itself.

More updates, added:

Thats awesome. Since I have to restart now anyways, I'll install the latest patches too.

Thanks!