[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

12 hours ago, ensou04 said:

actually, you can change it now with my mod :) its one of the first things i implemented. i just didn't put sounds for this on the vids cuz i havent made anything for it yet.

SHIPEFFECTS_SOUNDLAYERS
{	
	nextStageClip = sound_click_tick
	cannotSeparateClip = failSeparateClip
}

EDIT:
Ok after reading back on the thread  there seems to be a consensus that people want to disable staging sounds entirely. so I made an option for it. should it be disabled by default?

o8HWt44.png

oh wow!  I didn't realize that -- sorry :D -- Even if it's just a *new* sound that's something more subtle, or just meant to be a acknowledgement beep for success/failure as you indicated, that could be great. Disabling altogether is also quite welcome. That slightly "whooshy clunk" sound always just seemed weird.

I’m not sure how I didn’t notice this before, it looks and plays fantastic.

I might look into making an optional patch to reinstate the RealPlume-based general configurations.

How hard would it be for you to make an auditory sonic boom effect? That would be simply astounding to hear while launching, or falling back in reentry.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:05 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

How hard would it be for you to make an auditory sonic boom effect?

I had thought of that but it wont be in this release, maybe in later releases.

Another thing that KSP really lacked was a good audio "Normalizer". The stock one doesn't really work that well so I implemented my own Limiter. Specially now that we have loud engines and a pretty high dynamic range on the part sounds, we really need to tame the loudness. its in my git now but I'm still tinkering with the default settings but so far I'm happy with what we have: 

JPv3z72.png

Edited by ensou04

6 hours ago, ensou04 said:

I had thought of that but it wont be in this release, maybe in later releases.

Another thing that KSP really lacked was a good audio "Normalizer". The stock one doesn't really work that well so I implemented my own Limiter. Specially now that we have loud engines and a pretty high dynamic range on the part sounds, we really need to tame the loudness. its in my git now but I'm still tinkering with the default settings but so far I'm happy with what we have: 

JPv3z72.png

That looks pretty useful -- a wide array of tweakable aspects. yikes!

Also, forgive me for asking as I haven't yet dropped it in, but does the audio muffler know to ignore internal IVA sounds such as chatterer or prop sound effects in the interior setting?

6 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Also, forgive me for asking as I haven't yet dropped it in, but does the audio muffler know to ignore internal IVA sounds such as chatterer or prop sound effects in the interior setting?

unfortunately no, the way i handle my internal sounds is to make sure anything that i dont want to be muffled has "bypassListenerEffects" set to true eg: Music, Internal ShipEffects Sounds and UI. because my muffler doesnt do raycast "camera is inside part checking" and has a mixer board to assign sources to like Audio Muffler Redux. So chatter will probably get muffled unless its bypass is enabled, same for the internal prop sound.

upside to this though is RSE's muffler is very very simple and lightweight. its just a custom lowpass filter applied to the Camera/AudioListener. I do plan to implement something similar to Redux in the future but i cant seem to figure out how to import unity's audiomixer into the game :/

Edited by ensou04

15 hours ago, ensou04 said:

unfortunately no, the way i handle my internal sounds is to make sure anything that i dont want to be muffled has "bypassListenerEffects" set to true eg: Music, Internal ShipEffects Sounds and UI. because my muffler doesnt do raycast "camera is inside part checking" and has a mixer board to assign sources to like Audio Muffler Redux. So chatter will probably get muffled unless its bypass is enabled, same for the internal prop sound.

upside to this though is RSE's muffler is very very simple and lightweight. its just a custom lowpass filter applied to the Camera/AudioListener. I do plan to implement something similar to Redux in the future but i cant seem to figure out how to import unity's audiomixer into the game :/

Totally get it!

I wasn't referring / expecting anything more elaborate than IVA vs. External as far as whether to affect things like chatterer or not.  Obviously PRs could be made to Chatterer or ensure they get a "bypassListenerEffects" as well. :)

After I asked the question yesterday, I decided to re-set up my VS environment and compile your working version of the mod to try it out. So far, so great!  I didn't have chatterer installed, so I couldn't tell what effects it has. I'll likely do that this evening.

These subtle environmental aspects really make the game for me, so it's always exciting when new, creative work get put in along these lines.

Edited by Beetlecat

5 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Totally get it!

I wasn't referring / expecting anything more elaborate than IVA vs. External as far as whether to affect things like chatterer or not.  Obviously PRs could be made to Chatterer or ensure they get a "bypassListenerEffects" as well. :)

After I asked the question yesterday, I decided to re-set up my VS environment and compile your working version of the mod to try it out. So far, so great!  I didn't have chatterer installed, so I couldn't tell what effects it has. I'll likely do that this evening.

These subtle environmental aspects really make the game for me, so it's always exciting when new, creative work get put in along these lines.

I'm new to recompiling stuff...

How did you go about it?

I'm getting this error when I try to build it

Error CS0103 The name 'GUILayout' does not exist in the current context RocketSoundEnhancement C:\Users\xxxxx\source\repos\ClassLibrary1\RSE.cs 126 Active
[8:54 PM]

5 minutes ago, RurouniDonut said:

I'm new to recompiling stuff...

How did you go about it?

I'm getting this error when I try to build it

Error CS0103 The name 'GUILayout' does not exist in the current context RocketSoundEnhancement C:\Users\xxxxx\source\repos\ClassLibrary1\RSE.cs 126 Active

[8:54 PM]

I know this is likely for another topic ( :D ) but the easiest thing to miss is making sure all the references are linked (assembly*, UnityEngine*,etc.) since we don't have the same file paths as ensou04. :)

If it's more than that, definitely head over to the more general add-on discussions for basic compiler setup. I had to guess at it and got it right except for the incorrect .net version at first.

32 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

I know this is likely for another topic ( :D ) but the easiest thing to miss is making sure all the references are linked (assembly*, UnityEngine*,etc.) since we don't have the same file paths as ensou04. :)

If it's more than that, definitely head over to the more general add-on discussions for basic compiler setup. I had to guess at it and got it right except for the incorrect .net version at first.

I think I got it working now?

It shows up in game settings and the audio muffler works!

But the sounds aren't changed, assuming since its only code and not audio files in there.

2 hours ago, RurouniDonut said:

I think I got it working now?

It shows up in game settings and the audio muffler works!

But the sounds aren't changed, assuming since its only code and not audio files in there.

Right you need to grab v.0.4 which has all the patches and sounds. Not sure if we should keep or ditch the old plugin. My guess is ditch. :)

@ensou04 -- a super-brief possible audio glitch, I followed a piece of debris down from orbit, and after it crashed, the whooooshing air sound persisted. even after a quit to main menu and now back at the space center, the air is still rushing by. I'll see if I can get this to replicate.

And RSE is for sure catching/filtering Chatterer.

Edited by Beetlecat

9 hours ago, RurouniDonut said:

its just the filters and logic, I'm still working on the patches

7 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Right you need to grab v.0.4 which has all the patches and sounds. Not sure if we should keep or ditch the old plugin. My guess is ditch. :)

definitely ditch as this is not compatible with 0.4 plugin and patches at all. its a total rewrite from the ground up. although you could rewrite 0.4 patches to work with 0.5.

the patches are almost done, We already even have ReStock support.  I'm just working on some few sound left on the collision side of things.

7 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

a super-brief possible audio glitch, I followed a piece of debris down from orbit, and after it crashed, the whooooshing air sound persisted. even after a quit to main menu and now back at the space center, the air is still rushing by. I'll see if I can get this to replicate.

And RSE is for sure catching/filtering Chatterer.

hmmm, I'm not sure what could be causing that. I only changed one thing on that source which was to set its bypassListenerEffects to false and nothing else. lemme know if you managed to recreate it. 

we could do a PR for chatterer and/or I could figure out a whitelist system configurable via cfg.

EDIT: I looked around Chatterer source and it also has air wooshing sounds. was chatterer installed when that happened?

Edited by ensou04

5 hours ago, ensou04 said:

hmmm, I'm not sure what could be causing that. I only changed one thing on that source which was to set its bypassListenerEffects to false and nothing else. lemme know if you managed to recreate it. 

we could do a PR for chatterer and/or I could figure out a whitelist system configurable via cfg.

EDIT: I looked around Chatterer source and it also has air wooshing sounds. was chatterer installed when that happened?

Chatterer was *not* yet installed when I noticed that sound glitch/carryover. I'll see if I can get it to re-do that today. Otherwise it's entirely possible it's just KSP being KSP. :D

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

Otherwise it's entirely possible it's just KSP being KSP.

i think that happened to me before too. im not sure. hmmm

So there's only two things left, New staging sounds. I have no idea what to do with them. anyone got any ideas?

also I'll leave out ReStock+ new engines for now.

13 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

So there's only two things left, New staging sounds. I have no idea what to do with them. anyone got any ideas?

The auditory feedback of staging is quite nice to hear.  Maybe make it toggleable for those who want full immersion/those who want utility?

2 hours ago, ensou04 said:

i think that happened to me before too. im not sure. hmmm

I'll probably disable it anyway but a simple beep  (similar to some of the beeps in Chatterer) just to indicate that I've staged would be cool, nothing too fancy.  What do you think?

7 minutes ago, Karin said:

I'll probably disable it anyway but a simple beep  (similar to some of the beeps in Chatterer) just to indicate that I've staged would be cool, nothing too fancy.  What do you think?

i couldn't come up with something earlier so i'll leave the stock one for now,  you can disable stock staging sounds as well from the settings. I'll probably do the new staging sounds on the next update. i'll try beeps like you said :)

Edited by ensou04

v0.5.0 now available.

Check Original Post for more details

Download (Plugin and Library/Configs): https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/releases/tag/0.5.0

Changelog:

• EVERYTHING
  • ShipEffects is integrated and rewritten from scratch
  • Old RSE plugin now deprecated. delete the old v0.4.0 folder entirely
  • All new sounds recorded and created.
  • Wheel Sounds
  • Collision Sounds
  • Decouplers, Docking Ports and Launch Clamps
  • Stock Rocket Engine Patches
  • Wheel Patches
  • Restock Support
Edited by ensou04

1 hour ago, ensou04 said:

@RurouniDonut you will have to make new config files for each engine, wheel, decouplers etc, use the existing configs as reference.
for everything else like collisions and physics effects, it should be automatic.

I tried just replacing the part name in the brackets after @part.

No change though,

Maybe it's something to do with realism overhaul?

7 hours ago, RurouniDonut said:

I tried just replacing the part name in the brackets after @part.

I'm not sure entirely how RO patches work but I'm pretty sure you need the AFTER:[RO-MODNAMEHERE] to ensure the patches from RO already exists before RSE Default library gets applied to it.

you have to be sure you're removing the original sounds as well. Its probably simpler if RO natively supports the Default library though. but thats up to the RO guys.

Edited by ensou04

I am really enjoying this mod. I wanted to mention that, in testing with several of the smaller engines (stock and Restock + NF) as the sounds fade softer with rising altitudes, there are many crackling instances. Not the 'good crackle' of the SRBs, but the bad sort you encounter with bad/low quality recordings. 

I am not sure if this is an artefact of the new release / configs, or if it is a product of my own hardware but it certainly does not crackle badly in any other applications that I use. Maybe there is a setting I can adjust?