[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

• 2 months later...

RocketSoundEnhancement lacks a lot of configs.

Months ago I already created a branch with new effects - which are in fact clones of existing effects but better than nothing.

The problem was that I mislead the people with the name of the branch - it made people think it's only intended to be used with RealismOverhaul.
That is not true.
It's intended to be used by everyone.

So here is the new branch and PR which also contains new additions from just today.

(WIP - I'm in the process of creating the configs as I post this)

Branch:
https://github.com/Gordon-Dry/RocketSoundEnhancement/tree/additional-effects

PR:
https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/pull/5

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 3:32 AM, Bej Kerman said:

Well that aged well... Just a request for mod adoption.

i really don't recommend anyone to use or update this mod as it currently is. its very janky and CPU intensive with all those sound filters being used.

The announcement of KSP2 really demotivated me to continue working on this. but it seems like that wont be around anytime soon. so Here's a roadmap. NO PROMISES. I only really do this as my past time when I feel like it, and when i'm not occupied with my work. Coding is only a hobby for me so i only do it from time to time.

Rocket Sound Enhancement Road-map

Goals:

Create a simple sound effects module that has no dependencies besides Module Manager (For Default Sound Library).

Create a Universal Default Sound Library of the most common rocket sounds based on the following:

• Nozzle Size

• Propellant Type

• Low, Mid, High Thrust Power

• Consistent Loudness for all sounds that Makes sense (no more deafening RCS and Small Engines)

Rewrite and Integrate my old mod “ShipEffects” and make it easily configurable.

Approach EVE style, make it easier for other people to make their own Sound Effects Mod using RSE Plugin as a Dependency. 

Provide RSE Default Sample Library as separate download.

Sound Modules (Per Part)

Commons

Volume Curve

Pitch Curve

ADSR Curve

Sound Layers (Oneshot, Loop)

ModuleSoundEngines

Thrust Power

Engage

Disengage

Burnout

ModuleSoundEvents

Docking

Stage (Decouple/Launch Clamps)

Ship Effects (Per Active Vessel)

Airspeed

Re Entry

Jerk/Jolt

Linear and Angular Acceleration

Edited by ensou04

40 minutes ago, ensou04 said:
On 7/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Well that aged well... Just a request for mod adoption.

i really don't recommend anyone to use or update this mod as it currently is. its very janky and CPU intensive with all those sound filters being used.

Whatever the cost for an eargasm

41 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

The announcement of KSP2 really demotivated me to continue working on this.

If it helps, people will still have save files and big space stations to maintain on KSP 1. It won't disappear overnight; I'm betting that if Squad stops leaving months old bugs to rot, then the fanbase will stick with both games for a long time before KSP 1 falls out of maintenance.

42 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

Rocket Sound Enhancement Road-map

Goals:

Create a simple sound effects module that has no dependencies besides Module Manager (For Default Sound Library).

Create a Universal Default Sound Library of the most common rocket sounds based on the following:

• Nozzle Size

• Propellant Type

• Low, Mid, High Thrust Power

• Consistent Loudness for all sounds that Makes sense (no more deafening RCS and Small Engines)

Rewrite and Integrate my old mod “ShipEffects” and make it easily configurable.

Approach EVE style, make it easier for other people to make their own Sound Effects Mod using RSE Plugin as a Dependency. 

Provide RSE Default Sample Library as separate download.

Sound Modules (Per Part)

Commons

Volume Curve

Pitch Curve

ADSR Curve

Sound Layers (Oneshot, Loop)

ModuleSoundEngines

Thrust Power

Engage

Disengage

Burnout

ModuleSoundEvents

Docking

Stage (Decouple/Launch Clamps)

Ship Effects (Per Active Vessel)

Airspeed

Re Entry

Jerk/Jolt

Linear and Angular Acceleration

:)

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, Gordon Dry said:

^ updated the branch with the last commit for now - feel free to fiddle with the cloned configs to make them more realistic

Hi @Gordon Dry

I'm using your sound additions, in RSS/RO/RP1 for KSP v1.8, its very nice.

BUT I found a small issue: (at least for me)

RocketSoundEnhancement\Patches\RealPlume_Deprecated\Hydrogen-NTR-HighTemp.cfg

&

RocketSoundEnhancement\Patches\RealPlume_Deprecated\Hydrogen-NTR.cfg

Throw MM errors and warnings (about 22 for me).

Temp fix: is to rename the files listed with extension ".badcfg"

Seems to prevent MM errors for now but I can not find issue, I looked and relized I only understand enough to ruin it more if I fiddle with it.

Thank you & any suggestions?

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Aazard said:

Hi @Gordon Dry

I'm using your sound additions, in RSS/RO/RP1 for KSP v1.8, its very nice.

BUT I found a small issue: (at least for me)

RocketSoundEnhancement\Patches\RealPlume_Deprecated\Hydrogen-NTR-HighTemp.cfg

&

RocketSoundEnhancement\Patches\RealPlume_Deprecated\Hydrogen-NTR.cfg

Throw MM errors and warnings (about 22 for me).

Temp fix: is to rename the files listed with extension ".badcfg"

Seems to prevent MM errors for now but I can not find issue, I looked and relized I only understand enough to ruin it more if I fiddle with it.

Thank you & any suggestions?

Are you starting a new game?

If so, I highly recommend deleting all 'deprected' folders from GameData.  Those files are legacy configs to maintain backward compatibility for existing saves.  Unless you know of something in them you really, really, really want, just delete.

1 hour ago, TranceaddicT said:

Are you starting a new game?

If so, I highly recommend deleting all 'deprected' folders from GameData.  Those files are legacy configs to maintain backward compatibility for existing saves.  Unless you know of something in them you really, really, really want, just delete.

PERFECT, the best fix is to lose unneeded cfg files/textures!

• 2 weeks later...

So i've already went back to coding RSE. I still have to work on new sound effects and have to do a complete rewrite of ShipEffects. 

I'll definitely will need help later on working on engine configs once the sounds and plugins are done. so any volunteers are appreciated.

Edited by ensou04

9 hours ago, ensou04 said:

So i've already went back to coding RSE. I still have to work on new sound effects and have to do a complete rewrite of ShipEffects. 

I'll definitely will need help later on working on engine configs once the sounds and plugins are done. so any volunteers are appreciated.

Sounds great.  Let me know when you release the new rewrite, and I'll discontinue my adoption at that time

15 hours ago, ensou04 said:

I know it’s off-topic, but I’ve been using a continued version of ShipEffects on 1.10.1. Should I be worried? 

Edited by RyanRising

On 9/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, ensou04 said:

Please make sure you had a look at 

Because unfortunately Smokescreen / RealPlumes make so much perfomance hit...

13 hours ago, evileye.x said:

Because unfortunately Smokescreen / RealPlumes make so much perfomance hit...

RSE never had to rely on realplume and smokescreen in the first place, the only reason I did was so we could apply sounds to as many engines quickly (piggy-backing on RP's configs). real goal was to do per-engine configs.

On 9/21/2020 at 5:58 AM, RyanRising said:

I know it’s off-topic, but I’ve been using a continued version of ShipEffects on 1.10.1. Should I be worried? 

i dont think so, ShipEffects is only an aesthetic so its safe to remove/replace

On 9/21/2020 at 12:27 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Sounds great.  Let me know when you release the new rewrite, and I'll discontinue my adoption at that time

Thanks for keeping it updated man, i'll let you know. also I have a memory that you used new sounds for ShipEffects Continued? Do you mind if we merge some of those to RSE?

Edited by ensou04

• 4 weeks later...

Progress on ShipEffects Integration.

This is a complete rewrite from scratch. Its way more elegant, fast and highly customizable with SoundLayers via Config instead of being hardcoded. 

Now features sensible Controls: Acceleration, Jerk, Airspeed and Heat

• Acceleration: Basically G Forces (m/s^2)
  • Jerk: Change in Acceleration (m/s^3)
  • Airspeed: Atmospheric Velocity (m/s)
  • Heat: External Vessel Heat (Kelvin)

They control Volume and Pitch Curves, and decides which one to play if the conditions are met.

SOUNDLAYER
{
	name = Metal_Stress
	audioClip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/metalstress
	loop = true

channel = ShipBoth				//ShipInternal, ShipExternal, ShipBoth
	control = Acceleration			//Acceleration, Jerk, Airspeed, Heat, None

volume = 0.0 0.0				//control value
	volume = 40.0 0.0
	volume = 100.0 1.0				//At 100m/s^2, set the volume to 1

pitch = 1.0
}

I'm gonna start working on collisions next. and maybe update the git page soon. but not now, I still have a lot of work to do

Edited by ensou04

Collisions now working, everything sounds like dumpsters lol. started experimenting on Pitch being affected by Mass with is own FXCurve: massToPitch. 

ShipEffects now works on a per-vessel basis instead of just adding sounds to the current active vessel. Also added a new controller GroundSpeed, so we can add sound effects to rovers going about

I'm not exactly sure why the code detects collisions on the kerbal itself though, kerbals are supposed to be blacklisted from the Collisions PartModule.  I have to fix the MM patch at one point. hmmmmmmm

Also added Custom settings options

KsFoKKe.png

Edited by ensou04

Oh boy, that is wonderful! Even if everything does sound like dumpsters, it's still adding so much to the experience.

Will there be an ability to modify the sounds with atmosphere depth, essentially replacing what Audio Muffler did back in the day, or is that outside the scope of this rewrite?

Edited by RyanRising

2 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Oh boy, that is wonderful! Even if everything does sound like dumpsters, it's still adding so much to the experience.

Will there be an ability to modify the sounds with atmosphere depth, essentially replacing what Audio Muffler did back in the day, or is that outside the scope of this rewrite?

Yes, definitely one of the plans is to do my own audio muffling and silencing stuff. like say muffling exterior sounds when you're in IVA. I still have to figure out how to deal with sounds that's not running on RSE though like explosions or stock sounds.

13 hours ago, ensou04 said:

I'm not exactly sure why the code detects collisions on the kerbal itself though, kerbals are supposed to be blacklisted from the Collisions PartModule.  I have to fix the MM patch at one point.

There are multiple kerbal models, why not post the MM code? May be a simple fix.