A "KSP Loading..." Preview: Activate Navigation to Launchsite

SQUAD

via Gfycat

We are including a new quality of life feature in update 1.6 to help pilots find their way back to a Launchsite or Runway!

Players will now be able to activate the navigation system towards the KSC, the Woomerang Launch Site, the Island Runway,  Dessert Launch Site or any mobile Launchsite set by a mission creator. Activate Navigation to a Launchsite will target the chosen location and add a navigation mark in the NavBall. Players will be able to activate this feature from the Map View at any time.

25 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Will this be for Making History only or in stock? 

Probably stock, as we got the launch site icons in stock KSP 1.4.

And this is pretty cool, by the way! It will certainly make it easier to find our way back to the KSC (and the other sites too).

Nice to see this bug get fixed (the bug being that we were unable to do so previously). :D Introducing a UI to allow us to set and store waypoints and enable them would also be brilliant... oh wait... errr... something something Waypoint Manager.

EDIT: Just realised that we will also no longer have to plant flags at the start of the runways. :confused:

Edited by Poodmund

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It will certainly make it easier to find our way back to the KSC

Getting to do it by rightclicking a site icon is a nice addition of course, but we've been able to place arbitrary navigation waypoints in stock since before 1.4, through the console and with KerbNet. (console: /ksc and /waypoint <body> <lat> <long> <name>).

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Just realised that we will also no longer have to plant flags at the start of the runways.

I still prefer using two flags beyond the ends of the runways instead of waypoints - the target brackets make for better approach alignment indicators than the waypoint icons.

26 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Cool thing. Am Only hoping like everyone else, for a waypoint manager.

Launch site beacon signal is still something really useful. Good job

Do you mean this? KerbNet's waypoint markers are something like this. (Personally, I like the mod much more.)

4 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Will this be for Making History only or in stock?  And will it be accessible for modders (looking at you kerbal konstructs!)

It's stock - but accounts for all launchsites stock, or stock available with Making History and including Making History - Mission mobile launchsites.
Yes it will be accessible to modders - with a bit of code you could write some mod code to add markers for just about anything anywhere.

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

It's stock - but accounts for all launchsites stock, or stock available with Making History and including Making History - Mission mobile launchsites.
Yes it will be accessible to modders - with a bit of code you could write some mod code to add markers for just about anything anywhere.

This really looks like a great feature!

You say “code” but is there a chance that  new locations could be added via .cfg file? 

This would really open this interesting feature up for us sub-coders and config wranglers.

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

This really looks like a great feature!

You say “code” but is there a chance that  new locations could be added via .cfg file? 

This would really open this interesting feature up for us sub-coders and config wranglers.

Nope. code would be required.

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing with asymmetrical rockets

a4aIl5U.png

and they are great if you have Mechjeb to use thrust vectoring during flight, but when I would want to fly it manually it is boring... so maybe we could have new feature on Navball? If you click at any point on Navball SAS is trying to hold find shortest path to that direction and hold it using thrust vectoring, SAS and RCS?

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

and they are great if you have Mechjeb to use thrust vectoring during flight, but when I would want to fly it manually it is boring... so maybe we could have new feature on Navball? If you click at any point on Navball SAS is trying to hold find shortest path to that direction and hold it using thrust vectoring, SAS and RCS?

Well there's Throttle Contolled Avionics

Admittedly I would do a very simmilar thing to line up with a runway, as I would put a target probe right in front of the runway, and set it as a target, although I usually don’t need them anymore. Nice that there is a feature to do this anyhow.

Actually, it’s not completely true that I never use target probaes, as they allow one to smash into various Easter eggs at orbital speed with great ease.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.