I can't play Kerbal.

Hi guys.

So I had KSP years ago on my Mac. I wanted to download it on my PC so I logged in and redownloaded. Here are the issues:

64x 1.5.1 version -  It told me 'Your device isn't compatible with this version'.

64x 1.4.5 version - Update and play buttons greyed out on the launcher.

86x 1.4.5 version - Gets to the last bit of loading after clicking play and then disappears, and all that is left is the launcher.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm not a Mac user myself, but my understanding is that the Launcher (for all platforms) has been broken for a very long time, and there are no current plans to fix it.

Can you try starting the game directly from the KSP.dmg file?

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

KSP.log and output_log.txt are needed.to diagnose the problem.

Anything can gone wrong. We need more info. 

I have the KSP.log here. i'll try and find the other one:

[Giant browser-destroying log snipped by moderator]

Edited by Snark
Giant browser-destroying log file snipped by moderator

Holy spam batman.   Next time please at least use spoiler tags around the log file, but much preferably use a 3rd partying hosting site to post log files.    I'm surprised it even let you post that much.

But correct me if I'm wrong.... but win32NT (win 7) is the 32 bit version of the OS.....  the 64 bit shouldn't work. 

4 hours ago, b9y said:

86x 1.4.5 version - Gets to the last bit of loading after clicking play and then disappears, and all that is left is the launcher. 

What do you mean disappears?   Try launching it straight from the KSP.exe, ditch the launcher. 

Edited by Gargamel

2 hours ago, b9y said:

I have the KSP.log here.

Hi @b9y,

Thank you for the log file!  Unfortunately, though, pasting very large log files into the forum itself causes all kinds of technical problems for people's browsers, especially folks on mobile devices, whose browsers may lock up entirely.  Therefore, we've had to remove the log file from your post.

Please, never post big log files in the forum.  Instead, upload your log file to some third-party file sharing site and link to it here.  That way, people can get access to the detailed log file, without the KSP forum blowing up their browsers.  ;)

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

at least use spoiler tags around the log file

^ Actually, spoiler tags are useless for this.  Even if the user never opens the spoiler, the browser will go ahead and try to download the full spoiler contents at the time the page loads.  Which means all the technical problems of people's mobile browsers locking up will still happen.

So... please don't advise people to spoiler big log files-- it doesn't actually help.  Third-party file hosting sites are the way to go.  ;)

Oh excrementse, sorry guys! I kinda thought to myself "this is quite long" but didn't connect the dots -_-.

So by disappears, the loading window of the game closes on its own just before the game gets to the menu screen. And all that's left is the launcher window. 

So would I need a 32 bit version? If so, I got it via direct download and there's no option. I can only find one forum post about downloading via Steam giving you both a 64/32 version, but not on this site directly. Any ideas what to do?

Cheers all!

Update. Downloaded the 86x 1.4 and tried starting it with and without 64 bit. Using the launcher, and not using the launcher. It gets to about half way on the loading screen, then that window just disappears. No crash message etc.

This is fun.

19 hours ago, b9y said:

Update. Downloaded the 86x 1.4 and tried starting it with and without 64 bit. Using the launcher, and not using the launcher. It gets to about half way on the loading screen, then that window just disappears. No crash message etc.

This is fun.

Any chance of a slow or ram filled computer?

New log or output required.

I can do a log. How should I upload it this time? What kind of hosting site is good? Cheers.

Actually RAM is a good point. I've only got 3gb of it, I know the minimum is 4gb but so far I've had it loading to various stages in the game before crashing. It's not consistent, whatever the issue.

10 hours ago, b9y said:

I can do a log. How should I upload it this time? What kind of hosting site is good? Cheers.

Pastebin.com is good for log files.

10 hours ago, b9y said:

Actually RAM is a good point. I've only got 3gb of it, I know the minimum is 4gb but so far I've had it loading to various stages in the game before crashing. It's not consistent, whatever the issue.

I think that's most likely where the problem lies.

Although Windows 7's minimum RAM requirements are in the order of 1~2GB, your other non-Win7 system background processes will likely consume up to another 0.5~1GB, which doesn't leave much memory to run even stock, unmodded KSP.

You'll need to upgrade your computer with more RAM modules up to 8~16GB (just to be on the safe side), or consider investing in a new computer altogether.

23 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Which, I believe, is somewhat pointless on a 32 bit machine?

Indeed, because a 32-bit system can only support up to 3.5 GB of RAM. So even if one starts the 32-bit version of the game, there simply isn't much free RAM available to run it.

So it is most likely that @b9y will need to consider investing in a new 64-bit computer with at least 8~16 GB of RAM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.