Transfer window planner mod?

Cloakedwand72

30 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any news on a Transfer window planner mod update? Also is astrogator a better alternative to Transfer window planner? Is it the same thing.

Transfer Window Planner should work even with KSP 1.5.x.

33 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any news on a Transfer window planner mod update? Also is astrogator a better alternative to Transfer window planner? Is it the same thing.

Despite a NRE when seleting a destination, transfer window planner seems to work still pretty fine in KSP 1.5.1 :)

IIRC Astrogater is similar but not the same since it will actually create a maneuver node for you. Depends on your personal preference if this extra feature is something positive or negative ;)

Alternative, Kerbal Alarm Clock (also still works fine in KSP 1.5.1) can show transfer windows as well and the web application of transfer window planner is also still available:
https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

edit: :ph34r:

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

IIRC Astrogater is similar but not the same since it will actually create a maneuver node for you.

Another difference, Astrogator gives you one option while TWP shows you a porkchop plot. Mechjeb and KAC I believe give you multiple options but only one choice per transfer window (the "best" one, i.e. the same one Astrogator gives but also future ones that Astrogator won't show you until you're passed the current one)

As above, all these changes are either good or bad depending on your personal preferences. If you don't understand transfer windows, the porkchop plot may just confuse you. Or it may help you learn. Or it maydo both :D If you don't care about future windows and just want to get there and are happy with your personal understanding of the mechanics, though - 3 things that I am in almost every case - then Astrogator is the one for you.

3 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Despite a NRE when seleting a destination, transfer window planner seems to work still pretty fine in KSP 1.5.1 :)

IIRC Astrogater is similar but not the same since it will actually create a maneuver node for you. Depends on your personal preference if this extra feature is something positive or negative ;)

Alternative, Kerbal Alarm Clock (also still works fine in KSP 1.5.1) can show transfer windows as well and the web application of transfer window planner is also still available:
https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

edit: :ph34r:

i think its a positive for me it keeps me occupied on mission component building then mission phase thinking then Hoffman transfer time. I like that it gives the Dv that I would need.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Another difference, Astrogator gives you one option while TWP shows you a porkchop plot. Mechjeb and KAC I believe give you multiple options but only one choice per transfer window (the "best" one, i.e. the same one Astrogator gives but also future ones that Astrogator won't show you until you're passed the current one)

As above, all these changes are either good or bad depending on your personal preferences. If you don't understand transfer windows, the porkchop plot may just confuse you. Or it may help you learn. Or it maydo both :D If you don't care about future windows and just want to get there and are happy with your personal understanding of the mechanics, though - 3 things that I am in almost every case - then Astrogator is the one for you.

Also can it plan conjunction class Duna short stay & EVE Fly bye missions?

18 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

IIRC Astrogater is similar but not the same since it will actually create a maneuver node for you.

Actually, I believe TWP can create a manoeuvre node for you, but you need the Precise Manoeuvre mod to actually place the node on your trajectory.

(BTW, I would recommend PM, it's a brilliant quality of life improvement mod).

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Actually, I believe TWP can create a manoeuvre node for you, but you need the Precise Manoeuvre mod to actually place the node on your trajectory.

(BTW, I would recommend PM, it's a brilliant quality of life improvement mod).

I know about the KAC integration in Precise Maneuver but never tried it to place a maneuvernode with values from TWP. I guess, it will require some fine tuning anyway since TWP doesn't evaluate the actual orbital position of your ship but Astrogater does (IIRC, just used it once).

Hijacking just a little.

Is there any tool (or display version of the current ones) that makes it easier to compare dV vs arrival date?

The data is available in the porkchops but it requires a lot of fiddling since the scale of the axis are different.

I don't care very much on actual launch or travel time, the crucial data for me is arrival date.

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Hijacking just a little.

Is there any tool (or display version of the current ones) that makes it easier to compare dV vs arrival date?

The data is available in the porkchops but it requires a lot of fiddling since the scale of the axis are different.

I don't care very much on actual launch or travel time, the crucial data for me is arrival date.

I believe you can do this within MJ's porkchop planner.  You can also set limited time arrival dates. 

11 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I believe you can do this within MJ's porkchop planner.  You can also set limited time arrival dates. 

It would be easy to select in porkchops _if_ the axis had the same scaling (optimal arrival is just a straight line from origo to top left).

But you're correct, the data is available but requires a bit fiddling.

I'll see if I can get the time to hack one of the open solutions.

7 hours ago, dlrk said:

KSPTOT is a great option that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned

KSPTOT is amazing, but a pain to setup on Linux :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.