Should I update KSP?

PTGFlyer

[MOD - Moved to KSP Discussion subforums, as this is more of a general inquiry about changes between game versions rather than a specific suggestion for future versions of the game.

Also, folks, if you see a thread, topic or post that seems to be in the wrong place, just click on the "Report post" link at the top-right of the content in question. There's no need to publicly call people out.]

15 minutes ago, PTGFlyer said:

I'm on a Macbook Air with 8gb of ram. I'm running 1.1.3, and don't want to go through the hassle of updating if I don't gain anything from it.

So, what cool new stuff has been added since 1.1.3?

Well, since you can very easily run multiple installs.....

6rZ8g8R.jpg

14 hours ago, PTGFlyer said:

So, what cool new stuff has been added since 1.1.3?

Executive summary:

• KSP 1.2:  CommNet (setting up communications relays to enable talking to spacecraft)
  • KSP 1.3:  Localization into various other languages. Asteroid Day merged into stock.
  • KSP 1.4:  Some new parts.  Part variants. EVA parachutes.  (Also, Making History DLC released.)
  • KSP 1.5:  Style overhaul of various older parts.  Improved burn indicator on navball.

Plus bunches of little fit-and-finish things, too numerous to list here.

From a gameplay perspective, the biggest new gameplay element added since 1.1.3 was the addition of CommNet, which (depending on your difficulty settings for it) adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Personally?  I like the new stuff, I'd recommend upgrading.  But like everything, it's up to you.  :)  And as folks here have mentioned, you can keep a copy of your old KSP around-- that way you can try the new one, and go back to the old if you change your mind.

4 hours ago, PTGFlyer said:

I've got RemoteTech. CommNet and EVA chutes are the two biggest draws for me.

The problem is I tried to install it and I just got a black screen instead of Jeb, Bob, and Bill loading.

How many mods do you have installed? A lot of stuff has changed since 1.1.3, and mods may have broken. Check if there are 1.5.x compatible versions of those mods.

4 hours ago, Snark said:

KSP 1.4:  Some new parts.  Part variants. EVA parachutes.  (Also, Making History DLC released.)

I don’t think any parts were added into the base game in 1.4, but there were replacements for old-style parts. (Does the Mk1-3 pod count as a new part?)

58 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

How many mods do you have installed? A lot of stuff has changed since 1.1.3, and mods may have broken. Check if there are 1.5.x compatible versions of those mods.

I don’t think any parts were added into the base game in 1.4, but there were replacements for old-style parts. (Does the Mk1-3 pod count as a new part?)

It was a completely new game. I added mods for it based on which ones I had on 1.1.3, it did that, and then I tried the stock version I’d kept and it did it again. I’m not in the mood to troubleshoot right now, although the comms net and the EVA chutes mean I probably will at some point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.