Auto-Strut Default

@KerbService The point with autostrut is that the different options have a purpose. You couldn't autostrut to a "default" part because what part would that be then?

Heaviest part or root part is notoriously used to create rigidity on parts attached to other stacks as these will often autostrut to a center stack using heaviest or root as that is where root or heaviest parts are often located. And while that is often the obvious locations for root and heaviest part it does depend per vessel. If any vessel had it's "Heaviest part" at a spot near the bottom it would be rigid with the parts at the top connected to it, but if that heaviest part would be near the middle or near the top then that rocket wouldn't be as rigid anymore, probably even wobbly.

Since there are to many variables in vessel creation I cannot foresee a algorithm that can be written or even conjured lol.
Another things is that ships that dock or undock from one another will have it's heaviest or root part change causing physics to krakenize the game.
A default autostrut function allowing random locations of heaviest or root part will seriously annoy you with kraken type things when doing docking.

The only solution is auto-strut grandparent part by default.

However, that usually doesn't really make the vessel rigid especially if it has stacks hanging on it's side. So it wouldn't deliver anyway.
It you want auto-auto strut you can use the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod.

Edited by Aeroboi

@Aeroboi Thanks for your reply. I think I understand your comment. And yet when I build heavy boosters with hundreds of parts for payloads of 1500 tons or more I find that a global auto-strut to Heaviest works well in building stable reliable ships. Even smaller boosters using ring staging benefit from this. Of course, it is easy to text edit the save file with a global replace. Still, no algorithm would be required to implement this option in-game, only a setting to allow a selection to change the current 'Disabled' default to another. That would be faster than my having to use an editor, which is what I do now. Or worse, changing each by hand. And I try not to use any mods, only KER. I guess for me it is a numbers game. It would just be a little easier for my building to start with all Heaviest and then change what required another mode either while building or later in flight. Thanks again.

20 hours ago, KerbService said:

It would be helpful if I could choose an auto-strut default

Auto strut is known for causing Kraken attacks in complicated builds.  It usually best if you limit your auto strutting to parts that really need it.  

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Auto strut is known for causing Kraken attacks in complicated builds.  It usually best if you limit your auto strutting to parts that really need it.  

Ye. It's better to risk only attaching some parts on your craft rather than auto-strutting and the whole thing glitching out and exploding, especially if it was preventable

Good group of replies, Thanks folks! I wanted to post a picture of a booster that is 369 parts, 3431 total tons wet, with a payload of a little over 500 tons. This booster will place a 500 ton payload in an 85k Kerbin orbit reliably every time. And every part is set to auto-strut to 'Heaviest'.
But I have not been able to understand how to insert a png from my local disk into this post !!??!!?? Can I do that? Can I post a video of the booster going to orbit?
Anyway, I use auto-strut to 'Heaviest' almost every part every time on my boosters. Since 1.3. Maybe that works better now. Does for me. So that is why I wanted to use a different default other that 'Off'.
Thanks again, I am a NEWBIE to forums.

Put the image up on imgur.com and link from there.

Chiming in with the others here, auto-autostrut wouldn't work. Careless use of autostrut has destroyed a good many of my maddest creations. You likely won't see it with a conventional staged booster, but try docking that little guy of yours to a space station of similar mass and complexity, and I'll bet you a dime for a dollar that it will summon the Kraken.

Maybe I am beating the sh...t out of a dead horse, but ---  When I started using auto-strut stuff exploded for me also. But only before I found out that the the problem was a combination of auto-strut and clipping parts. Now I can avoid the problem by watching what I clip. So if the developers read this, just a choice of default for the auto-strut thing would be nice. Thanks...  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.