'Crew Hatch' Part

On 5/9/2021 at 4:22 AM, Sidetrakgamer said:

That actually is a great idea, i would love to see someone make a mod like it

Mk2 Expansion actually have a flat door that goes on the end of a Mk2 fuselage. For some reason it was only 1 way and just on the end. So I went in to the config and made it surface attachable and linked it to the simplist "INTERNAL" I had, which was for the Kerbonov passenger can. Now I can put it anywhere and go both ways.

Edited by ColdJ

On 5/8/2021 at 2:22 PM, Sidetrakgamer said:

That actually is a great idea, i would love to see someone make a mod like it

Nertea's SSPXr includes a 1.25m (and 2.5m) surface attached airlock for exactly this purpose. They are amusingly titled "SCATTER-1" and "EVACU-8."

5 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Mk2 Expansion actually have a flat door that goes on the end of a Mk2 fuselage. For some reason it was only 1 way and just on the end. So I went in to the config and made it surface attachable and linked it to the simplist "INTERNAL" I had, which was for the Kerbonov passenger can. Now I can put it anywhere and go both ways.

That's epic, actually.

Additionally, this mod exists. It adds hatch functions to docking ports.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Additionally, this mod exists. It adds hatch functions to docking ports.

Thank you, great minds think alike, I was  actually looking at their github page when you posted.

Has anyone mentioned the Making History inflatable airlock yet? It also doubles as a docking port which docks to small-sized ports (clamp-o-torn jr), or another inflatable airlock presumably. It’s also detachable with its own decoupler for all your Voshkod-related needs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 3:54 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Has anyone mentioned the Making History inflatable airlock yet? It also doubles as a docking port which docks to small-sized ports (clamp-o-torn jr), or another inflatable airlock presumably. It’s also detachable with its own decoupler for all your Voshkod-related needs.

It has been mentioned.  I use it all the time, for the exact purpose of placing a hatch wherever I need one.   As far as I’m concerned it is the perfect place-anywhere hatch.

By the way, although it looks like it joins to a clamp-JR, it does not.  It actually joins to a regular clampotron.

For me the best part is that it’s portable, and easy to weld on to a ship that you forgot to have a well-placed hatch on.

Edited by 18Watt

3 hours ago, 18Watt said:

It has been mentioned.  I use it all the time, for the exact purpose of placing a hatch wherever I need one.   As far as I’m concerned it is the perfect place-anywhere hatch.

By the way, although it looks like it joins to a clamp-JR, it does not.  It actually joins to a regular clampotron.

For me the best part is that it’s portable, and easy to weld on to a ship that you forgot to have a well-placed hatch on.

No, it definitely docks to the junior sized ports. That’s in the part description and after docking one to junior sized ports on several occasions recently I can confirm that it’s true:

hqm4z7k.png

Screenshot is a bit dimly lit but you can quite clearly see that the airlock is docked to a 0.625m docking port.

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

No, it definitely docks to the junior sized ports.

Dang, I always get that mixed up.  Also, I don’t really use them for docking (obviously), just as place-anywhere hatches.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:45 PM, KerbService said:

I often clip a command pod into my ships and the pod's crew hatch is blocked not allowing EVA exit. A separate 'crew hatch' part would come in nice to solve this problem. I have used the Mk1 Can for this but the weight of the Can seems excessive when only using it as a hatch.

So basically Voskhod?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.