Rover 6428

Recently i have been browsing on the internet and I have found this awesome fan art:

AldCC94.jpg

This gave me an idea: what if there will be a mod that allows any landed "debris" to be "swallowed up" by the terrain? For example, if there is some piece of junk in the desert, it would be gradually covered up by the sand until it is fully covered up and then it would automatically be destroyed.

Since i am not a programmer, and I think this is a great idea for a potential mod I, therefore, am calling out to anybody seeking for a challenge and/or inspiration to make this mod.

4 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

This gave me an idea: what if there will be a mod that allows any landed "debris" to be "swallowed up" by the terrain?

What scares me is that active vessels and such have a tendency to get swallowed up by the terrain instantly.  I have a mod installed to keep that from happening, I think it might be similar to dividing by zero if I tried using this one at the same time. 

But for those doing cinematics and such, this might be pretty nifty. 

7 hours ago, Gargamel said:

What scares me is that active vessels and such have a tendency to get swallowed up by the terrain instantly.  I have a mod installed to keep that from happening, I think it might be similar to dividing by zero if I tried using this one at the same time. 

But for those doing cinematics and such, this might be pretty nifty. 

As I said, this visual effect would only happen with debris, and would also happen over time. Good point though

I suppose if it only happened to debris, it wouldn't be that bad.

I imagine (and I may be way off here) the easiest way would be to pack the object up physics wise and then just sink the visual model into the ground a bit, it wouldn't have collision anymore though. (Like rocks and trees on Kerbin.) So your Kerbals would phase through it if they got close, only way I can see it working hassle/bug/kraken free.

How difficult that would be to actually code in practice is beyond me though.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.