A "KSP Loading..." Preview: The 48-7S “Spark” Liquid Fuel Engine revamp

SQUAD

Very well done!

The engine looks significantly more utilitarian and, to summarize, realistic. Not that the old one was bad, it was actually one of the better-looking engines, but you succeeded in making a good thing better. And, of course, nobody's complaining about more variants.

The two critiques, both texture-based:

1. Would it be possible for you to change the color of the engine base to the orange-y color of the original and add some missing paint to the corners? The new yellow-orange just doesn't quite fit, and the paint looks a bit too pristine. Also, nostalgia.

2. The emissive, as has been stated previously, looks a bit off. Perhaps move the hotspots to the throat and middle of the bell?

Really, though, these are minor points against an amazing revamp. Hopefully this is a sign of more engine refurbishments to come!

Thank you!

Edited by GearsNSuch
Well. Thank you, Poodmund.

3 minutes ago, releansol said:

We are approaching that KSP 2.0 will be a whole new Game.. at least as far as the graphics are concerned. :cool:

Uh...this is coming in 1.6, not 2.0.

Currently I'm undecided on KSP 2.0 though. If it keeps the original style of the game, sure, but if it totally changes everything, no.

But this thread isn't really for discussing a KSP 2.0, so we should probably stay on topic.

1 hour ago, GearsNSuch said:

2. The normal, as has been stated previously, looks a bit off. Perhaps move the hotspots to the throat and middle of the bell?

I think what you're referring to is the emissive texture, as in, the texture becomes emissive under certain parameters (in this case heat).

Normal map textures are used to show fake height changes/bumps in the geometry that doesn't actually exist. 

Just thought I'd make that clear as to avoid confusion.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:44 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Uh...this is coming in 1.6, not 2.0.

Currently I'm undecided on KSP 2.0 though. If it keeps the original style of the game, sure, but if it totally changes everything, no.

But this thread isn't really for discussing a KSP 2.0, so we should probably stay on topic.

What if KSP 2.0 is simply a version number after 1.9, instead of being like Minecraft with 1.10, 1.11 etc?

1 hour ago, Barzon Kerman said:

What if KSP 2.0 is simply a version number after 1.9, instead of being like Minecraft with 1.10, 1.11 etc?

Except 2.0 would still be a whole new Major Major Major Update.
And I highly doubt that ksp is gonna get anything like a sequel or total rework update, to actually varant a 2.0 over a 1.10

1 hour ago, JoaquinJAR said:

When these things are going to get added? these parts look GREAT!

These last few teasers are coming in the 1.6 update. With the last update (1.5) they transitioned to a quarterly release timeline, so 1.6 (assuming no delays, and they stick with a 3-month cycle) should be sometime in January.

Seemingly the aircraft parts is a veeeeeery long way after the last revamp, may I suggest a revamp on the J-90 Goliath engine, notably the spinnermark variations, alongside the "Spark" rocket engine revamp?

Aircraft+Jet+Engine+Spinner+-+Aircraft+N

Notable patterns on jet engine spinners. The J-90 Goliath High-Bypass Turbofan features one of these, take a look at the centre of the intake fan.

Seems boring with only the 'Spiral' spinnermarks.

Captain Joe's video telling about spinnermarks.

One more thing, more varieties on jet engines of various types (I mean, more engines for every part, e.g High-Bypass Turbofans are the J-33, J-90, J-XX, J-XX, J-XX, J-XX (Yes, I mean add 4 more of these), those includes 1.875m diameter ones, 5m is WAAAAYY too overwhelming for a jet engine), more aircraft fuselage form factors (And cockpits and parts) (Add 5m fuselages, 2.5m, 3.75m as the addition to Mk1 (1.25m), Mk2 & Mk3) and Big-S Wing Connectors (Basically standard wing connectors & structural wings in form of Big-S, tanked wings, larger doesn't matter, players are building bigger nowadays).

Edited by FahmiRBLXian
More details.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:43 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

Except 2.0 would still be a whole new Major Major Major Update.
And I highly doubt that ksp is gonna get anything like a sequel or total rework update, to actually varant a 2.0 over a 1.10

I would buy a KSP 2

provided it's running on an engine specifically built for it, has proper multi-core utilization, is optimized, doesn't load in all the darn textures into the RAM even when not used, abandons directx 9.0 in favor of Vulkan

and in general is proportionally resource heavy depending on actual size, because its really heckin' annoying that a 10gig modded game is more resource heavy than 100gb triple A behemoths like forza and GTA 5

On 11/14/2018 at 4:40 AM, FahmiRBLXian said:

Seemingly the aircraft parts is a veeeeeery long way after the last revamp, may I suggest a revamp on the J-90 Goliath engine, notably the spinnermark variations, alongside the "Spark" rocket engine revamp?

I hope squad doesnt touch ANY porkjet part, since its basically impossible for them to exceed his quality in terms of art style, texture efficiency, and a look that is in my opinion perfect for KSP: simplistic with nice handpainted like details when you look up close.

If you're gonna hide that you skimped on the gimbaling hardware why not stuff the  turbo in the boat tail with the combustion chamber like in porkjet's concept?
9aWNYKJ.png
heavily abuse the AO effect in the inside I'm sure it'll be fine and that no one will accuse you of giving the MH dlc more modeling love than the core game...

Anyway It feels weird having them disconnected like that for no reason (only time its done IRL is if you are driving multiple independently gambling combustion chambers from a single pump russian style), and the "supported" 0.625m version looks spindly and fragile.

Finally after seeing this dull flat texture next to the overly loud and busy textures you guys are making for the adapters it feels like there is some miscommunication in art direction going on here...

Edited by passinglurker

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 6:36 PM, Barzon Kerman said:

I fully support that and I always looked at it as v2.0, simply a number. I don't really see any need for "KSP 2" as I don't even consider what we have now a full game.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:40 AM, FahmiRBLXian said:

Since Squad spent way too much time, resources and effort in designing parts that are not essentially Kerbal Space Program, a move which annoyed quite a lot of people, I do not support this idea. Aircraft parts had their relatively recent revamp, and rocket parts have been basically untouched for a much longer time, not to mention the universe (planets, satellites, Kerbol, skybox) which really need essential work done because they look like beta versions of something proper yet to come.

Edited by lajoswinkler

13 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Since Squad spent way too much time, resources and effort in designing parts that are not essentially Kerbal Space Program, a move which annoyed quite a lot of people, I do not support this idea. Aircraft parts had their relatively recent revamp, and rocket parts have been basically untouched for a much longer time, not to mention the universe (planets, satellites, Kerbol, skybox) which really need essential work done because they look like beta versions of something proper yet to come.

And the aircraft parts look nice already. No sense in reworking them if they're already at a good standard.

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

I fully support that and I always looked at it as v2.0, simply a number. I don't really see any need for "KSP 2" as I don't even consider what we have now a full game.

Well Squad didn't seem to think 1.0 was anything particularly special (except to jump to it very quickly after 0.25) so sure, why not go right to 2.0 after 1.9.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.