Duna Colony Episode 1 (Fully retrievable)

Clifton G

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. Yay! Here is a video of my first fully retrievable Duna colony mission. It's 100% stock parts.  I based it off two things I love, SpaceX's Falcon Heavy and the book "the Martian" by Andy Weir. Based loosely at best since i'm not an engineer.

You will notice I have a vertical ascent until I drop the boosters, so I can bring them back down near the launch pad, a little more delta V was needed to accommodate that. Next I have to land the second  stage on the next continent, which took a little finagling. Fortunately, the amount of time between stages allowed me to switch back and fourth and pilot everything. 

This was a huge endeavor for me. I spent about a year designing and testing and about a month filming. I hope you enjoy.  

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Clifton G

Thanks so much for your comments! 

The audio is from epidemic sound, which is a cheap license website for people who make media. Here are the songs in order: ES_Feel (Instrumental Version) - Martin Hall,  ES_Where U At (Instrumental Version) - Tape Machines, ES_Why Do I Get So Obsessed (Instrumental Version) - Ramin, ES_Skyfall 2 - Johannes Bornlöf

Edited by Clifton G

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.