Stock Fairings made 1:1 Death Star using special method

buguniao

KerbalX link: https://kerbalx.com/bugubird/PURE-STOCK-11-DEATH-STAR

video link: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av35774022/

Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1566107081&searchtext=

Strongly advice adding the SSTU pack to make the fairings looks prettier.

5wf90x9.png

wKyoc6L.png

Edited by buguniao
adding up links

1 hour ago, buguniao said:

it is kind of stock thing... I mean, what we say of stock should mean that you can open with a stock KSP, therefore I think this death star should be called a stock one :cool: 

It's not stock, unfortunately. It's a trick. Send no reply

I tried it and think it is very nice.

It is difficult to cheat it into orbit before a fairing part 'splashed down', but now that it is in orbit I'm leaving it there.

Maybe change the title of this thread to indicated the construction method, "Stock fairings edited into the shape of the Death Star" or something,
so that those people interested in this kind of method will know to look, 
and other people won't get confused with what you mean by 'stock'  (stock parts ? or stock KSP vessel-editors in the VAB/SPH ?)

43 minutes ago, OHara said:

I tried it and think it is very nice.

It is difficult to cheat it into orbit before a fairing part 'splashed down', but now that it is in orbit I'm leaving it there.

Maybe change the title of this thread to indicated the construction method, "Stock fairings edited into the shape of the Death Star" or something,
so that those people interested in this kind of method will know to look, 
and other people won't get confused with what you mean by 'stock'  (stock parts ? or stock KSP vessel-editors in the VAB/SPH ?)

Thanks for informing me of that! Now I understand why people don't think it's a 'stock' one----I'll be careful on using words the next time!

It's stock in the sense that you don't need mods to load it.

TBH I thought it was created through code just using thousands and thousands of panels. When I saw the tell-tale "round but not round" (the outline is a polygon and shaders make it look like a ball) I thought the same -- "that's a special part, not made out of stock parts"

Using the fairings to get this done was a clever trick. Count me in the "stock" camp; you don't need anything special to load it. To make it. Well, that's another story. But anyone can make this basically without downloading mods. Just a few coding skills.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:49 PM, buguniao said:

Thanks for informing me of that! Now I understand why people don't think it's a 'stock' one----I'll be careful on using words the next time!

FWIW, I consider a distinction between 'Stock' and 'Pure Stock' as "can you load it in the base game" vs "can you build it in the base game", with reasonable exceptions to the latter for stuff like RCS build aid, editor extensions, and KER

Regardless this is an extremely creative craft, and it leaves me wondering what else is possible with this technique. It would certainly make good-looking stock airships a reality, as well as extremely accurately shaped aircraft noses/fuselage sections (within the limits of radial symmetry).

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, OHara said:

It is difficult to cheat it into orbit before a fairing part 'splashed down

I haven't had any luck cheating to orbit.  What does it look like in Kerbin orbit from the runway spawn point?  Would physics range extend work that far?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:43 PM, Servo said:

FWIW, I consider a distinction between 'Stock' and 'Pure Stock' as "can you load it in the base game" vs "can you build it in the base game", with reasonable exceptions to the latter for stuff like RCS build aid, editor extensions, and KER

I support Servo's definition and understand we'll all have different opinions on this.  I appreciate the full disclosure about the crafts creation on the kerbalx page.

6 minutes ago, klond said:

I haven't had any luck cheating to orbit.  What does it look like in Kerbin orbit from the runway spawn point? 

I found that it needed all the unbreakable cheats and a very quick "Set Orbit'.  All I could see upon launch was the root part.

3 hours ago, klond said:

I haven't had any luck cheating to orbit.  What does it look like in Kerbin orbit from the runway spawn point?  Would physics range extend work that far?

You can press the Esc button as soon as the Death Star appears on the KSC, and then you'll have enough time to set it on orbit:cool:

Also, adjust the PRE to 1000km to view the whole part of the death star!

3 hours ago, OHara said:

I found that it needed all the unbreakable cheats and a very quick "Set Orbit'.  All I could see upon launch was the root part.

If you add the PRE, you'll see the fairings extended into the Kerbin, creating a mass cover above the KSC:confused:

Edited by buguniao

On 11/12/2018 at 2:19 AM, Kerbart said:

It's stock in the sense that you don't need mods to load it.

I agree. If you edit a craft file on Notepad and change something on it, the thing is still "stock". It's even "vanilla stock", not a single add-on needed. But still, this stunt is not feasible using only KSP - don't know how to call it. :D 

Hell of a hack. Kudos, @buguniao! :) 

1 hour ago, klond said:

a giant forcefield?

Well, it's hard to describe... I think is just like a ball stuck into the ground, kind of a shield-shape. I'll upload some photos after I go home. 

Plus, there is no collision effect when the fairings crush into something. You can directly go through the surface of the Death Star if you are driving a plane:P

39 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I agree. If you edit a craft file on Notepad and change something on it, the thing is still "stock". It's even "vanilla stock", not a single add-on needed. But still, this stunt is not feasible using only KSP - don't know how to call it. :D 

Hell of a hack. Kudos, @buguniao! :) 

Thanks! It's just a very simple little trick to make this Death Star:0.0:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.