The End of WW1

tater

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

100 years and we still haven't learned our lesson.

73 years of no big war between the WWI countries. First time since the Ice Age.

Isn't this a learnt lesson?

(Even the Roman troops are not trying to conquer Londinium).

Edited by kerbiloid

I had my minute's silence yesterday, even though I was in the middle of talking to a friend. I believe that we all should pay our respects and work together to make sure that there are no conflicts in the future, and that the conflicts currently going on shall come to an end quickly, with peace for everybody

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

73 years of no big war between the WWI countries. First time since the Ice Age.

Isn't this a learnt lesson?

(Even the Roman troops are not trying to conquer Londinium).

unfortunately these lessons are quickly forgotten.

11 hours ago, Geonovast said:

100 years and we still haven't learned our lesson.

War, I think,  is somewhat of a necessary evil, and it will always be a part of our world no matter what we do to prevent it. Evil and violent men are bound to do evil and violent things, and it's just human nature that such people will always exist to perpetrate evil and violence. I believe that in such cases, the use of war or righteous violence to end such barbarism is not only acceptable but necessary. War for the sake of war, as World War One can so easily be seen, is indeed a tragedy, and it saddens me to think that millions of people were cheated out of four years of their lives, for many of them the prime of their lives, for something as irrelevant to them as the death of an Austrian nobleman whom many of them had likely never heard of in their lives. I would contrast this, however, to the Second World War. The ultimate purpose of the war, at least for the Western Allies, was to liberate Europe from the grip of a warmongering, genocidal dictator whose ultimate goal was to exterminate those whom he considered to be ethnically and genetically inferior to his own people, and was willing to stop at nothing to achieve it. The fight to ensure a free world clean of such tyrannical and oppressive ideologies is one that I would consider righteous and justified, and contrasts sharply with the overly vague and thin motivations for the First World War.

In addition, I do think that the World Wars, although they caused unholy levels of death and destruction, have a sort of a silver lining to them, in that by experiencing them, we have learned that such deadly conflict should be avoided at all costs in the future, lest we destroy ourselves. Because of this we've made very good efforts to prevent the outbreak of a third world war over the last seventy years. For example, almost every conflict or crisis throughout the Cold War and modern era has had some kind of restraint imposed by the belligerents upon themselves in order to prevent unnecessary escalation, from the refusal of President Truman to cross into China during the Korean War to the exclusion zone established by the British military during the Falklands War to the 100 hour time limit on the ground campaign in the 1991 Gulf War. While such political restraint hasn't always been as beneficial as was initially thought, and in some cases may have even helped to prolong the war on which they were imposed, they were almost always done with the intention of avoiding escalation of the conflict, of preventing the outbreak of another global war over something so simple, such as Ferdinand's assassination in 1914. In fact, we live today in one of the longest and most stable periods of peace ever seen in history. Because of this, I certainly think mankind is learning its lesson, even if it still has a long way to go.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the matter...

Edited by pTrevTrevs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.