Any tips on landing a booster on a drone ship?

Athen

None here.  Clearly you know how to land &c so the only thing is practice, practice, practice (which I wouldn't want to do, having to be that accurate ^^).  Good luck though

Edited by Pecan

8 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

KER has a very nice landing point indicator you could use. 

W H E R E

That thing would make my landings 1500% more accurate, and I didn't know that it exists?

I mean, if it's actually an indicator, a visible dot on the surface, not some numbers in main gui

Edited by The Aziz

I don't know if you're going full SpaceX but...

A common misconception is that you have to land vertically and stay that way. My most successful series, however, lands on the engine (the Mammoth, which you appear to be using, is great for this; crazy impact tolerance) and tipps over, using aircraft landing gear on the top to cushion the impact. This gives you significantly more control over the booster by relocating the drag of the landing gear to the top, like feathers on an arrow.

Just the way I do things.

As far as mods go, this one might work, although the version does say 1.3.1... If that one's incompatible, maybe this would.

Enjoy your boostery adventures!

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

W H E R E

That thing would make my landings 1500% more accurate, and I didn't know that it exists?

I mean, if it's actually an indicator, a visible dot on the surface, not some numbers in main gui

It's the red bullseye in the picture below.  I added it as a toggle switch to one of the KER hud displays.

5KbkEuB.jpg

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Oh wow, I never knew that.

It was only added fairly recently.

Like one or two versions ago.

1.1.5.3, 2018-7-27, KSP 1.4.5 #2243

• Total overhaul of impact and suicide burn calculations.
  • Added impact marker to map and flight view. Toggleable via the Impact Marker readout button.
  • Add suicide burn countdown and burn length readouts.
  • Add minimum safe orbtial altitude readout.
  • Change a number of default sections and readouts. Will only apply to a clean install.

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It was only added fairly recently.

Like one or two versions ago.

1.1.5.3, 2018-7-27, KSP 1.4.5 #2243

• Total overhaul of impact and suicide burn calculations.
  • Added impact marker to map and flight view. Toggleable via the Impact Marker readout button.
  • Add suicide burn countdown and burn length readouts.
  • Add minimum safe orbtial altitude readout.
  • Change a number of default sections and readouts. Will only apply to a clean install.

I see, thanks for the info. This will come in handy, once I upgrade from 1.3.1  :blush:

17 hours ago, Athen said:

I've been trying to land on a barge (from a mod) for a little bit, and so far this is the closest I got to landing. Any tips? (I'm not using kos or krpc, I'm just trying to do it by hand.)

Dunno if this would work for u, but whenever I land a ship somewhere I use SAS retro hold to keep the engine pointed in the direction of my descend. I've never attempted an actual target landing tho, not on such small targets anyway.

But u could also set the barge as a target and switch the sas to anti-target hold.

Or u could install a mod that displays the directional icons in ur environment, the prograde and retrograde markers included. I've already used the prograde marker several times to mark the spot I wanted to touchdown on using a plane, aswell as using the standard navball prograde marker to land inside the radius of a career survey site (soil samples for example). I guess the same thing would work for the retrograde marker if u kept it on the barge during the descent.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.