Douglas Rain, the voice of Hal 9000, has died.

DAL59

HAL 9000 was an incredible manifestation of a being which is conscious and incredibly intelligent, but absolutely emotionless. That voice was perfectly crafted, and really conveys an incredibly unnerving feeling through every line. This guy did an amazing job.

54 minutes ago, cubinator said:

HAL 9000 was an incredible manifestation of a being which is conscious and incredibly intelligent, but absolutely emotionless. That voice was perfectly crafted, and really conveys an incredibly unnerving feeling through every line. This guy did an amazing job.

I'm not so sure about emotionless. It's been said many times that the character of HAL 9000 had more emotion and humanity than the actual human characters, which is likely the intention.

Even so, this is a sad moment. But there's another star up there now. This time not created from Jupiter, though.

7 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I'm not so sure about emotionless. It's been said many times that the character of HAL 9000 had more emotion and humanity than the actual human characters, which is likely the intention.

I don't really know what it was - but it definitely did not feel like it was a human speaking.

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Even so, this is a sad moment. But there's another star up there now. This time not created from Jupiter, though.

was done for contrast. i think it worked out pretty well.

and mr rain will be remembered a long time for it. 

I just watched the movie a few days ago.

4 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

I'm not so sure about emotionless. It's been said many times that the character of HAL 9000 had more emotion and humanity than the actual human characters, which is likely the intention

Spoiler

Especially during the scene where David Bowman 'kills' HAL 9000, he didn't sound like he was crying for him to stop but he clearly was, HAL 9000 even stated clearly that he was in pain.

RIP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.