EVA walkable space stations/other vehicle insides

Teirdalin

So I'm thinking of making a mod which would simply just be pods that you could EVA into whatever it's connected to behind it, with connection parts, and crew canisters that have a 2nd texture/collision layer on the inside allowing kerbals to walk around the interior and interact with science inside, with animated door panels that could be activated via right click; and not needing to stick your science on the outside of the vessel looking rather silly.

But I'm wondering if this has already been done or not for 1.5.X; because it seems like a kinda fair amount of effort (although a fun project at least); and rather not end up just wasting my time if there's already a great alternative that I've just not known about.  lol

There are a couple of mods with parts you can walk inside of - mostly mods for building planetary bases, though I know Omicron is a bit like that as well.  (And I haven't seen any that are updated for 1.5, though some are pure parts mods so should be fine.)  Are you just looking at doing a set of parts, or are you looking to overhaul the entire game?  If it's a set of parts: The more the merrier, I haven't seen many pods and such like this and as long as your part is different from what's offered I'd say go for it.

If you're going for the full overhaul - godspeed and good luck.  It'd be an interesting project, but a large one.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:18 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Yup. Still in development tho but as usual has source available if you want to poke into it

I saw that, but I think they're just clipping the first person camera in that to explore the ship for visuals rather than it being EVA based and functional for-  walking, jumping, climbing around and risking your life with the ability to move in and out of the ship/plane/station.   But the resources in it definitely seem like they could work if that's the idea they do go with in the long run.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:23 AM, DStaal said:

There are a couple of mods with parts you can walk inside of - mostly mods for building planetary bases, though I know Omicron is a bit like that as well.  (And I haven't seen any that are updated for 1.5, though some are pure parts mods so should be fine.)  Are you just looking at doing a set of parts, or are you looking to overhaul the entire game?  If it's a set of parts: The more the merrier, I haven't seen many pods and such like this and as long as your part is different from what's offered I'd say go for it.

If you're going for the full overhaul - godspeed and good luck.  It'd be an interesting project, but a large one.

I like big projects, I generally have no life.  Although half way through those types of projects gets a bit tedious.   As it doesn't look like there's a very easy way to convert the game models to a modifiable form-  I think(?), I'd probably need to make entirely new assets from scratch.  Hoping there's an easy enough way to do the HUD for the pods though.

But yeah- my hope is that the physics system would allow it to work as just a set of parts, worst case scenario is that they kerbal would get thrown around horribly while in the vehicle whenever it moves- in which case it'd need to change the system a bit (Hoping not) or find a workaround- maybe the inside could be on rails like when climbing on the sides as things would, still allowing for things to be interactable.   But,  I suppose just being able to move around inside when the vehicle is stabilized would really be good enough.    Maybe some special pods could be made that serve actual purposes rather than just being space to do things in a station environment. (awful pun); like stationing a scientist with low to no stupidity to slowly gen science from when the biome changes to biomes that scientists haven't researched in the ship stations yet; just as a sort of passive gen if the station or even large sized ship moves around a lot to other planets and the like.  Or an engineering station that when manned by an engineer could slowly repair damaged parts; would be nice if there was an AI that'd just let them head over and repair them.   Well considering it's an entirely enclosed structure it may be possible; but probably out of my foreseeable skill range.

But I'm not anywhere near that point in my KSP modding experience levels yet; still gathering info on the process.

Edited by Teirdalin

7 hours ago, Teirdalin said:

but I think they're just clipping the first person camera in that to explore the ship for visuals rather than it being EVA based and functional for-  walking, jumping, climbing around and risking your life with the ability to move in and out of the ship/plane/station

that was certainly an ultimate goal - had to start somewhere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.