Cannon

What happened to awesome space movies?

I've never read the book, but from reading the summary on Wikipedia I would guess that unless they seriously dumb that down it's going to go over the average audience's head like a jumbo jet.

6 hours ago, DAL59 said:

You know what would be a great movie?  Timelike Infinity by Stephen Baxter.  

I've been trying to read those, and I think I gave up.  Just wasn't a great read.   A lot of the story arcs and background just didn't jibe right with me.  It felt like a really good first draft of a book(s). 

(Just don't know which thread this belongs to)

That gray disk with yellow trefoil is the handle to be grabbed by Canadarm.

But what's happening in this movie?
Canadarm ignores it and just grabs the module by top.

Spoiler

On 12/7/2018 at 1:31 AM, Nikolai said:

... Make a movie that adheres to physical reality that takes place in space, and you have to be very careful and precise with your special effects.  (...)  Of the remainder, there are those who will get lost in the subject matter, and refrain from seeing movies like yours because they're hard to understand. ...

... Whereas if you have something that tries to move in slight fantasy it's thrown right out or quickly having it's own inconsistencies (and sooner or later you get ramblings).

I think this is why a movie that does try and get you laughing is a very good one, because the more you know that they're absolutely ridiculous (or extremely satirical) the harder you laugh at them.

I wish someone can truly make another marvel like that.

Not that I say every movie has to try and make you laugh - I liked all the pretense you get in Interstellar, which is all to say "go and love your parents today (or vice versa)", or the symbolism that they try to portray in Gravity, and the cheap jab on having some relations that The Martian (film) had, or the technical NASA report The Martian (novel) was, but it'd be nice to have another addition to the lineup - I really can't stand most life extensions.