What's up with the g-tolerances and pressure limit options?

It's been a while since i last played, so i decided to update my KSP to 1.5.1 (with Making History expansion) and start a new career. And now i noticed in advanced settings there is a 3 options for enabling g-force tolerances for kerbals, ship parts and pressure limits for ship parts too. How exactly do they work and should i try at least some of them?

That was very strange when i discovered that you can not use parachute from the start and at the same time my command module landed with 300 m\s speed perfectly fine, but then it started crashing even on 180 m\s... Hm...

Edited by Actually_New_KSP_Player

Kerbal G-Force limits will cause Kerbals to pass out if they exceed the limit.  The ship, usually a plane, will become uncontrollable until the pilot wakes up, unless a probe core is also present.  The limits also allow the game to generate contracts for Kerbals that want to be in particular situations (flying, sub-orbital or in orbit) and then be subjected to enough G forces to knock them out.  Regular, non-G contracts, will fail if any tourist is rendered unconscious so soften up those reentry procedures and parachute decelerations.

Pressure limits will cause parts to explode if they descend too far in the ocean, at least on Kerbin.  Cannot comment on the pressures found in Eve or Laythe's oceans however or Eve or Jool's atmosphere.

I've never seen a part fail or explode from the G force limits on parts.

I enjoy the Kerbal G limit contracts, the other two I leave off, personally.

Edited by overkill13

I can comment on Eve's and Jool's atmosphere. 

Eve's atmosphere is not thick enough to cause any parts to fail due to pressure limits. 

Jool's atmosphere is. Dive into it, and if you don't burn up, you will get crushed by the pressure.

(Haven't done any diving in Eve's oceans so can't comment on that.)

5 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Jool's atmosphere is. Dive into it, and if you don't burn up, you will get crushed by the pressure.

Well, not exactly. The atmospheric pressure at Jool's liquid "surface" (= 0m altitude) is lower than the pressure at Kerbin's surface. But there is nothing there to land on. So you sink through and blow up at -250m.

But it is certainly true that if you try to reenter Jool's atmosphere at orbital velocity then you melt, unless you are very careful and have good heatshields.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.