What's required to shield parts?

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Anyway, if someone can find an reasonable explanation for this behaviour, I'm still interested^^

You mean the parts on top over-heating? 

Nothing to do with where the part was originally placed if that was lower down? I know that shouldn't matter but <shrugs>

Just now, Foxster said:

You mean the parts on top over-heating? 

Nothing to do with where the part was originally placed if that was lower down? I know that shouldn't matter but <shrugs>

Yes, that's what I mean.

I've already tried to place the tanks on top of the body and move them to the correct position but still, they are overheating.

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

Frustrating I know not to understand why but I think I'd probably just get rid of them and add the capacity to one of the other stacks.  

Yep, that's the part I want to get around :D

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

I'll have a play with your craft in a bit... 

Go for it...If you actually want to use it as a shuttle, I can share the launch vehicle as well ;)

Nope, can't see why it's doing it. Might be that they are near the joint between the wings and the hull or because its Thursday. 

I think I'd be tempted to simplify the craft by reducing the number of wing parts and other bolt-ons but then it's a long time since I did anything in this challenge so what do I know? 

45 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Nope, can't see why it's doing it. Might be that they are near the joint between the wings and the hull or because its Thursday. 

I think I'd be tempted to simplify the craft by reducing the number of wing parts and other bolt-ons but then it's a long time since I did anything in this challenge so what do I know? 

Thanks for taking a look at it anyway :)

I'm still doing some experiments and I get the feeling that it is important how the wing got constructed, because a single wing element can actually protect other parts behind it:

vwDyc31.png

This is a single wing connector typ A and a FL-T200 fuel tank + a bunch of reaction wheels behind it. Works perfectly fine, I'll do some tests with multiple wing elements now :)

I've been finding that wings in the same line, even if they're not connected seem to occlude those behind them. I don't have any conclusive screenshots yet, but it's a behavior I've noticed. I'll try to verify this later.

I've been experimenting with the "wings as radiators" trick, mostly by attaching E-wings to Small Nose Cones and NCS Adapters, offsetting them way back, and doing Jool dives while holding surface prograde.

One of the more interesting things I've noticed comes from the AeroGUI window. The External Temp and the drag don't really affect the thermal survivability of a part. The most important factor appears to be the Static Ambient Temp. (Note that the E-wings near the tail are glowing because they're taking heat off the nose cones.) This mission survived and made it back out to a safe orbit.

a74OEug.png

Static Ambient Temp graph for Jool, per KSP wiki. Graphs available for all other atmo planets, provided by OhioBob. They're worth looking at.

Out of dozens of dives with various craft, trying to survive a pass at 180km was WAY harder than just crash-diving to 130km, even though 180km is almost vacuum.

Jool_Atmosphere_T&P.png

EDIT: I guess the point I'm trying to make is that understanding thermal occlusion is important, but you can DEFINITELY get away with just properly "radiating" a part by choosing what it's attached to. If that "radiator" part is oriented surface prograde, you're in GOOD shape.

Edited by FleshJeb

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.