Add Stephen Kerman as a homage to Stephen Hawking

Add Stephen Kerman as a homage to Stephen Hawking  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Stephen Kerman to be added in?

• Yes, Stephen Hawking cameo should be implemented
    • No, Stephen Hawking cameo should not be implemented

Nope. The original Kerbals aren't direct representatives of anybody in particular, and Val is an homage to many different people.  

But I would seriously lobby for a Comnet Ground Station to be renamed in his honor though.  There's one for Bill Nye, and another for Harvestr, this seems to be the place to do memorials within KSP.   This is how KSP seems to honor people who have influenced, but have not directly been involved with spaceflight (although Nye being the president of the Planetary Society....). 

Hawking was never directly a part of any space program (AFAIK), so giving him a cameo role in some of the windows, doesn't really fit in my mind. 

What you could also do is go into your save file using something like Notepad, go down to the Kerbal area, and edit it so you can have a custom kerbal name. That's what I do to get custom names in my games

51 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What you could also do is go into your save file using something like Notepad, go down to the Kerbal area, and edit it so you can have a custom kerbal name. That's what I do to get custom names in my games

You can also just create kerbals with the F12 "cheat" menu.

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Nope. The original Kerbals aren't direct representatives of anybody in particular, and Val is an homage to many different people.  

But I would seriously lobby for a Comnet Ground Station to be renamed in his honor though.  There's one for Bill Nye, and another for Harvestr, this seems to be the place to do memorials within KSP.   This is how KSP seems to honor people who have influenced, but have not directly been involved with spaceflight (although Nye being the president of the Planetary Society....). 

Hawking was never directly a part of any space program (AFAIK), so giving him a cameo role in some of the windows, doesn't really fit in my mind. 

but he contributed a lot to the understanding of the universe

13 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

but it would just be a normal kerbal, not a cameo

Edited by Rover6428

6 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

but it would just be a normal kerbal, not a cameo

Kerbal names outside of Jeb, Valentina, Bill and Bob are randomly generated, so you never know what name you will get for your kerbals. In fact, once I got a kerbal named Taco Kerman ^_^

10 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

So did a lot of other people, countless others.   Why no memorials for them?  Heck, I'd say Feynman and Sagan would deserve a cameo role before Hawking.    Hawking was a genius, who did some amazing work in the world of physics, but not more than any other physicist who also has ground breaking work.  What made him famous was his disease, and his ability to both continue to work and even survive.   He was a great physicist, but no greater than any other great physicist. 

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Either way, I wasn't forgetting, as I don't recall it.   LOL. 

But yeah, It's not that I'm anti-hawking here, I'm not, I just think there are better ways to create memorials within the game rather than Cameo's.   The Ground stations, easter eggs, etc.   That was my real point, and I distracted myself on another tangent. 

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

But yeah, It's not that I'm anti-hawking here, I'm not, I just think there are better ways to create memorials within the game rather than Cameo's.   The Ground stations, easter eggs, etc.   That was my real point, and I distracted myself on another tangent. 

I understand your point entirely : )

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I guess it does not have to be a kerbalised Hawking

Edited by Rover6428

Can we get the capability of adding Syllables to whatever random name generator algorithm KSP currently implements? Or atleast get a look at what have they put in the first place?

As for specific people, I vote for the syllables 'Had' and 'Field' be added so we can have some really lucky stuff while at the same time, coming up with interesting names. Rofield Kerman anyone? What about Hadling?

12 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Can we get the capability of adding Syllables to whatever random name generator algorithm KSP currently implements? Or atleast get a look at what have they put in the first place?

As for specific people, I vote for the syllables 'Had' and 'Field' be added so we can have some really lucky stuff while at the same time, coming up with interesting names. Rofield Kerman anyone? What about Hadling?

I agree. A thingy to add random names will help, as well as making it a ton of fun.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:21 AM, Gargamel said:

I second this, and there is need for an extra ground station on the peninsula east of KSC anyways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.