Omega's Stockalike Utility Vehicles: OSUV [1.5.1]

Omega482

Omega's Stockalike Utility Vehicles

A vehicle mod replicating the Yellow utility vehicles as parts.

lW9WYQT.png

Features:

• 15 Vehicle parts for the yellow utility vehicles

• Parts include Mesh Switchable crates and container props!

• Stockalike, uses the internal squad textures! Can't get much more stock than that!

• Low RAM usage. No textures are needed for this mod. It uses textures that are already installed with KSP. It should be a very low impact on load times.

dpH1YUH.png

This mod aimed to give the player access to the Yellow utility vehicles seen around KSC. These are however SQUAD assets and so I cannot distribute the models or textures.

This mod uses a plugin called AdvancedTextures that allows parts to use the internal KSP textures without having to distribute them. I then carefully re-created the models for the Vehicles in sketchup. A very big thank you to @GER_space the author of the AdvancedTextures plugin.

I would like to point out that I did not design these vehicles, they are based off the ones designed by Bac9 for SQUAD. I have only made replicas of the models and made them usable by the player

---------------------- DOWNLOAD SECTION ----------------------

>>>> SPACEDOCK <<<<
Download HERE

----------------------------------------------------------------------

WRkMq6R.pngPqbZnKa.png

Troubleshooting

• The parts are all grey or have no textures?
    • Looks like there's a problem with the AdvancedTextures plugin, Please make sure you have it installed in your gamedata folder.
  • Help! I can't move on the runway!

Special thanks to @Ger_space for Writing the AdvancedTextures plugin.
Thanks to @Angel-125 for help and advice on unity wheels.

Thanks to @sirkut for testing.

License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

Edited by Omega482

IVAs *when*? :P

Just kidding... IVAs are a difficult proposition, so anyone thinking about asking... Just *DONT*...

This is awesome... Looks like a very kewl mod.
Hopefully, too, this may lead to moar mods using the AdvancedTextures mod, and exploiting the use of  stock assets.

5 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

This is awesome... Looks like a very kewl mod.
Hopefully, too, this may lead to moar mods using the AdvancedTextures mod, and exploiting the use of  stock assets.

Thanks! Yes, I hope so too. Anyone interested should probably contact @Ger_space

My Kerbal Konstructs statics also use this module so that they won't need any textures! Check them out in my Dev thread

Edited by Omega482

14 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

I love that we now have three mods that provide the KSC utility vehicles & parts. Looking forward to taking them for a spin! :D

I'm trying to think of the other two you mentioned? Lack's SXT and Blackhearts Grounded?

I love both of those, I used to play with SXT installed a lot back in the day. I always have Grounded installed, Such a good mod pack, I really love it.

Edited by Omega482

I think the advantage of Omega's pack, is that its super small resource-wise. Also, I guess his wheels work... and without having to have KSPWheels or Kerbal Foundries as a dependency
OH, and I dont think you can get much moar *stock-alike* :P

Edited by Stone Blue

2 minutes ago, Omega482 said:

This is my first foray into part modding. So please If you find any glaring issues, report them here.
The only thing I will say is that Wheels in KSP are weird, problems with them are quite likely Squads fault.

Actually, it is a Unity bug and has been since 0.90  Apparently, Unity has to have a third-party plugin to make the wheels work, or at least that's the way I understand it.

1 hour ago, Omega482 said:

I'm trying to think of the other two you mentioned? Lack's SXT and Blackhearts Grounded?

I love both of those, I used to play with SXT installed a lot back in the day. I always have Grounded installed, Such a good mod pack, I really love it.

Pretty sure Helldiver's Shuttle mod, {KSO?} can't think of the actual name of it, once upon a time had KSC~ish ground vehicles too. I think there are some people making an effort to keep that alive too

@Omega482 Quick question, do your crates and tank props actually allow cargo or fuel to be carried, or are they just for show?

7 hours ago, johnkeale said:

This is so cool, I can't wait to try this out!

As per the IVA, does the license allow the usage of SXT or KSOS or even Grounded's IVA? Of course it's not really a big deal, I just wanted to ask :)

KSOS and Grounded are both licensed under a no derivatives license. So thats a definite no for them. 

SXT can be used for derivative works but it doesn't sit well with me because Lack isn't around any more so I can't really ask for his permission. 

Another thing is, at the moment this is a lightweight mod with no textures. If I were to build a custom IVA it would mean id have to include a new texture sheet. Unless i can make an IVA out of squads textures. 

I may do it in the future, but probably as a optional expansion pack.

I downloaded the plugin, tried it in the game
visual design I like A- - B, functionality as C, vehicles fit into the game environment.

- The cabin does not have an interior, Kerbal is not displayed and can not leave the vehicle. (
In my assembly of plugins - maybe)
- Wheels are suitable for smaller vehicles, for larger vehicles it seems too narrow. I propose to extend by 1/4 - 1/3 and accordingly to adjust other parts or suspensions of wheels. (I know - animated vehicles in the game are only cardboard backdrops ...)
- cargo parts could be "functional" (KAS + KIS, fuel in tanks)
- Would like some backrests, telescopic legs or something similar with a much greater adhesion to the surface, the braked vehicle slowly moves (~ meter per minute-two).
It could be connected to the motor function - the engine is off, the braking is strong, the engine is running, the brake is normal.

- Lights could be functional and separate as a separate work - lights on texture can visually remain.

I tried SXT interiors - more less would fit, but they are out of position and are too small, too low. Width and depth suit, cab equipment are from standard parts (SQUAD), except cab model itself

Edited by kyklop

3 hours ago, Sebastiaz said:

I know this may seem a little repetitive, but is it possible to be able to have versions for 1.4.5 and 1.3.1? 

Hi Sebastiaz, Short answer: This should work for 1.4.5. But won't work for 1.3.1.

Long answer: This mod relies on the very new AdvancedTextures plugin, this was written by Ger_space for 1.5.1. I had a chat with him and he says that it should run fine on 1.4.5. For 1.3.1 it was before the changes to the texture system for part variants and so the plugin will not find the right textures for these parts. It would require recompiling the whole plugin. So sorry, no 1.3.1 unless that happens.

22 minutes ago, kyklop said:

- The cabin does not have an interior, Kerbal is not displayed and can not leave the vehicle.

Hi Kyklop. The kerbals can leave the vehicle, you have to hover over the cabin and click "crew hatch" and then click EVA. This is how the stock parts work.

dL6hJ1B.pngbkVYvKF.png

- Wheels are suitable for smaller vehicles, for larger vehicles it seems too narrow. I propose to extend by 1/4 - 1/3 and accordingly to adjust other parts or suspensions of wheels. (I know - animated vehicles in the game are only cardboard backdrops ...)

The wheels are maybe a little thin, but that shouldn't affect gameplay at all.

Would like some backrests, telescopic legs or something similar with a much greater adhesion to the surface, the braked vehicle slowly moves (~ meter per minute-two).
It could be connected to the motor function - the engine is off, the braking is strong, the engine is running, the brake is normal.

I have no plans for telescopic legs or backrests (?), If you would like some extra parts please do try out Grounded by @blackheart612

As for the brakes not working when the engine is running. I will look into that. Do remember, if the vehicle is carrying a heavy load it will take longer to brake.

Edited by Omega482

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.