landing legs bouncing?

Cannon

I started playing again after a long time and I whenever I land somewhere ship bounces off the ground 20 times like a ball until it stops.
I'm using lt-2 landing struts, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this when I last played. Is there a way to preven this from happening?
Thanks in advance!

Yeah, wheels, landing gear, and landing legs are super bouncy in 1.5. 

You can mitigate/fix it by manually tuning the springs. The good news is that now you can do this outside the VAB/SPH. Right-click on the leg/wheel/gear, look for Spring Strength and Damper Strength. They're "auto" by default, override them and tweak the values. 

3 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Yeah, wheels, landing gear, and landing legs are super bouncy in 1.5. 

You can mitigate/fix it by manually tuning the springs. The good news is that now you can do this outside the VAB/SPH. Right-click on the leg/wheel/gear, look for Spring Strength and Damper Strength. They're "auto" by default, override them and tweak the values. 

I don't have those options when I right click it https://imgur.com/a/szcg8l3

it's still a problem. As I increase dampers the bounces become shorter, but don't entirely go away. When I set dampers at maximum the bounces become very short but the frequency increases so the craft appears to be vibrating and slowly vibrates down even a gentle slope or in a circle if it's on flat ground.

This is really annoying. This wasn't a problem for me in 1.3.x and it's been a problem ever since. Landers working should be table stakes for a space game and needs to work right.

Edited by Tyko

I thought the last patch fixed this via the "auto" setting?

Never encountered it myself besides the starter plane gear, even before that. My advice about the settings would be to lower strength and raise damper. Was always how I fixed the bouncy fixed plane gear. Although the new auto setting has fixed that particular problem, at least on my end. Even an overloaded starter plane doesn't bounce after 1.5.

Anyone have an example craft/situation? I'm always interested in trying to nail the cause of bugs down.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

39 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I thought the last patch fixed this via the "auto" setting?

Never encountered it myself besides the starter plane gear, even before that. My advice about the settings would be to lower strength and raise damper. Was always how I fixed the bouncy fixed plane gear. Although the new auto setting has fixed that particular problem, at least on my end. Even an overloaded starter plane doesn't bounce after 1.5.

Anyone have an example craft/situation? I'm always interested in trying to nail the cause of bugs down.

This is the lander I used https://imgur.com/a/lXMQTAb
Happened to me when landing on duna and ike, smaller landers on mun and minmus were fine, though I was using lt-1 landing legs on them.
I usually land at about 3 m/s.

Hmm...well it looks pretty heavy for only 4 landing legs to me.

Really at a certain point; even the largest retractable landing gear are only for "lighter" craft. Anything heavy should be landing on static structural pieces.

Could you give me the tonnage? Building a dummy weight on 4 legs will be a lot easier than trying to recreate every nuance of your lander lol. Or a craft file would work too.

45 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Hmm...well it looks pretty heavy for only 4 landing legs to me.

Really at a certain point; even the largest retractable landing gear are only for "lighter" craft. Anything heavy should be landing on static structural pieces.

Could you give me the tonnage? Building a dummy weight on 4 legs will be a lot easier than trying to recreate every nuance of your lander lol. Or a craft file would work too.

It's 66.016t

24 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It's 66.016t

Made a 70 ton test lander for Ike, I definitely got some bouncing trying to land around 3 m/s. A much gentler touch down at 0.1 m/s worked, and it was fairly stable once landed.

Retracting my landing gear and landing on the engine bell proved better, and there was no bounce at 3 m/s.

You could try doubling the gear, or just landing slower. I think heavier landers exacerbate the issues with the springs. Like I said, at a certain point of "heaviness" you may want to switch over to something non retractable to land on.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

13 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Made a 70 ton test lander for Ike, I definitely got some bouncing trying to land around 3 m/s. A much gentler touch down at 0.1 m/s worked, and it was fairly stable once landed.

Retracting my landing gear and landing on the engine bell proved better, and there was no bounce at 3 m/s.

You could try doubling the gear, or just landing slower. I think heavier landers exacerbate the issues with the springs. Like I said, at a certain point of "heaviness" you may want to switch over to something non retractable to land on.

Will do, thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.