A little puzzler...

Sharpy

Eh, had an adventure today... and trying to solve the conundrum I found myself in, I came up with a solution. And in the course of testing it, I just saw how crazy my solution looks.

fxO944G.png

KKC8GEd.png

Who can guess, what is this device and what purpose is it to serve?

Hints:

- It's not damaged. But it's partially staged.
- It's not just a random mix of things. It's meant for a very definite practical purpose.

Enough hints for now. If you can't guess, I'll post more hints later.

Okay, here's my take:

You've got a situation with a vessel/surface installation, currently resting (somehow) on a really high inclination. It seems that in order to reach the said target, your only solution is to cross that inclination on the perpendicular direction, so you're going to use the NERVs to keep the rover wheels from sliding down the slope.

Judging by the docking module and what seems to me like crew modules, you're taking Kerbals off that vessel/installation and back to orbit using the NERVs, once you've gotten rid of the rover wheels.

Looks like a rescue mission to me.

1 minute ago, Atkara said:

Looks like a rescue mission to me.

Overthinking that a bit. Close again, but still not quite it.

Okay. Got a contract. Build a surface outpost on Ceti. Has antenna, docking port and can generate power. At least 7 kerbals. Cupola.

I decided to build a biome-hopper/rover mobile base.

HUkQHOo.png

And then I botched the suicide burn. Not by a little. By goddamned 160m/s! I thought they are all done for!

But somehow, the transfer module with 3 NERVs (which still had better TWR than the two NERVs on the biome-hopper) took the brunt of the impact. Nothing remained of it. But the base survived almost intact!

Azjf5hk.png

...almost. See something missing in the above picture?

And so came the repair/rescue mission:

MCwV1JD.png

After installing one engine, the rescue vessel has to drive around the base on two wheels and attach the second engine on the other side. That's why the tests - to check if this mode of transportation is possible at all.

Well, guess it is.

I changed my mind about the wheels. Instead of dumping them, I rotated them 90 degrees. That reduces the risk of the 'nacelles' hitting the terrain when driving.

5JIDNlh.png

The central module of the replacement parts got a thermometer and became a stationary science outpost for 'science from surface of Ceti' contracts.

XE1XkpU.png

And the biome hopper?

rK6zWke.png

FtQhlNQ.png

dmvWifz.png

Performs great! Got one more kerbal to rescue from the surface, two more biomes to visit, then back into orbit and into return/reentry pods!

...all that despite taking a 160m/s vertical landing on hardcore.

22 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@Sharpy Are those engines for the base to fly around on Ceti?

Or are they for the base to return to Gael?

Fly around on Ceti and reach the orbit to get the crew to the reentry vehicle.

Thing is the base was never meant to be modular. The docking ports were "contractual obligation" and the base had own perfectly functional engines right before the "accident"...

Edited by Sharpy

5 hours ago, Sharpy said:

After installing one engine, the rescue vessel has to drive around the base on two wheels and attach the second engine on the other side. That's why the tests - to check if this mode of transportation is possible at all.

Well, guess it is.

I changed my mind about the wheels. Instead of dumping them, I rotated them 90 degrees. That reduces the risk of the 'nacelles' hitting the terrain when driving.

You could have rotated the base instead, but yes having the wheels the correct way and work as outriggers make lots more sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.