[1.9.x] Kerbonov Kn-2 Cockpit Module Continued

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @Sam Hall made these nice parts, original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/60380-12x-k

The Kerbonov Kn-2 module is a compact 3 Kerbal cockpit for use with intermediate sized aircraft. It includes an IVA view.

The Kerbonov Kn-7 cockpit also seats 3, and is designed for use with the MK2 spaceplane fuselage parts.

Also packaged in the zip are several additional parts:

• Hood ornament: A snazzy little chrome doodad for classing up your horrible spaceplane / rocket death dragster.
  • Probe RCS: A tiny, low powered RCS block with its own small monopropellant supply built in. Good for unmanned micro-probes.
  • Drop tank: Lightweight, streamlined jet fuel pod. Includes its own built in decoupler for when it runs dry.
  • Radial Micro Decoupler: What it says on the label. Now itsy bitsy ships can benefit from asparagus staging too.
  • RATO Booster: A bit like a bigger, heftier sepratron, except stackable.
  • Grid Fins: Fits a very large effective surface area into a compact (front to back) package. Can be retracted when not in use.
  • Heavy Duty Command Seat: A tougher, heavier, stack-attachable external command seat.
  • Small Inline Passenger Can: A single-seat, 1.25m diameter hitchhiker container for spaceplanes.
  • Mini Turbojet: A jet engine suitable for ultralight aircraft and UAVs.
  • VHF Antenna: A fixed, stack-mountable 5M-rated standard antenna.
  • a few others

Dependencies

IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

One of the parts (a tank) uses some Squad textures.  Unfortunately, in 1.5, some of the textures it uses have been moved into the zDeprecated directory, and are not directly accessible during loading.  This causes some textures to be missing.

To address this, I've provided a pair of scripts, one to be used on Windows and the other to be used on both Linux & OSX.  These only need to be run one time

Windows Instructions

1. Open the Kerbonov folder in Windows Explorer
  2. Double-click on the file Windows_CopyTextures.bat (note that on most systems, you won't see the .bat)

Linux & OSX Desktop Instructions

• Open the Kerbonov folder Desktop 
  • Double-click on the file:  BashCopyTextures.sh

Linux & OSX Terminal Instructions

1. Change to the GameData/Kerbonov directory
  2. Type the following:
        bash BashCopyTextures.sh

Availability

The Kn-2 module is a 1.25-meter cockpit with IVA view for use with smallish spaceplanes. It seats 3 kerbals, and is roughly intermediate in weight between the Mk1 and Mk3 cockpits.

Spoiler

m8jfWXjl.jpg

aGyWWSkl.jpg

6zzOylJl.jpg

9slXs1Sl.jpg

qFvl4Ogl.jpg

zw1YJKbl.jpg

P3I3OI8l.jpg

ppAktnQl.jpg

Also packaged in the zipfile are 6 additional parts:

Hood ornament: A snazzy little chrome doodad for classing up your horrible spaceplane / rocket death dragster.

Spoiler

EJ38MM2m.jpg

Probe RCS: A tiny, low powered RCS block with its own small monopropellant supply built in. Good for unmanned micro-probes

Spoiler

L1MOVmYm.jpg

Drop tank: A light, streamlined 50L jet fuel pod. Includes its own built in decoupler for when it runs dry.

Spoiler

SpFae5Qm.jpg

Radial Micro Decoupler: What it says on the label. Now itsy bitsy ships can benefit from asparagus staging too.

Spoiler

xv3WK1Sm.jpg

RATO Booster: A bit like a bigger, heftier sepratron, except stackable.

Spoiler

V7X1Qe7m.jpg

Grid Fin: Fits a very large effective surface area into a compact (front to back) package.

Spoiler

p4mTDSlm.jpg

Small Inline Passenger Can: A single-seat 1.25m hitchhiker container for spaceplanes.

Spoiler

rjYV3Twm.png

OCq3ZbSm.jpg

Heavy Duty Command Seat: A heavier, tougher, stack mountable version of the external command seat. Also has limited SAS functionality.

Spoiler

yT2Om9Hm.png

Mini Turbojet: Basically a very scaled down version of the standard jet engine. Good for UAVs or flying rovers.

Spoiler

bJUW80om.png

Kn-7 Cockpit: Fits MK2 spaceplane fuselages. Seats 3. Narrow. Tall.

Spoiler

QdNVDVq.jpg

EN4I4qz.jpg

MK2 Side-Loading Cargo Bay: Comes in 2 sizes. Intended to make designing a plane around the Kn7 cockpit marginally less awkward.

Spoiler

tSBWTWd.jpg

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Thanks for the update. I dont see anything in the changelog. Any major changes made to be aware of besides adding the scripts?

Also...if anyone can help me...ive been trying to make a mk2 vertical plane with the kn-7..but have had terrible luck. The drag always seems to make my plane fly sideways. I keep to the conventional meens of building(CoL behind CoM) with thrust from the rear. I tried recreating the craft in the screenshot and failed horribly. Am I doing it wrong?

proposing to remove from the mod halfsized X200-8 and double sized FL-800:
they use old textures, so aren't in line with the new stock parts,
they don't correspond to the mod theme: "cockpit-ish & little-probe-ish",
they need launch .bat after install, so mod isn't ckan supported, because of these parts (just FL-1600 really)

18 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Also...if anyone can help me...ive been trying to make a mk2 vertical plane with the kn-7..but have had terrible luck. The drag always seems to make my plane fly sideways. I keep to the conventional meens of building(CoL behind CoM) with thrust from the rear. I tried recreating the craft in the screenshot and failed horribly. Am I doing it wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong per se, it's just a quirk. The mk2 fuselage pieces are considered lifting bodies, and as such lift can occur on one side. I've built a plane that successfully avoids this, I'm not entirely sure why though; I think I installed one regular fuselage piece inverted compared to another. You might need to detach and re-attach the bodywork behind the cockpit so that things get recalculated.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:12 PM, flart said:

proposing to remove from the mod halfsized X200-8 and double sized FL-800:
they use old textures, so aren't in line with the new stock parts,
they don't correspond to the mod theme: "cockpit-ish & little-probe-ish",
they need launch .bat after install, so mod isn't ckan supported, because of these parts (just FL-1600 really)

Ummm, that's odd, CKAN supports it just fine.

I'm not adverse to dropping them, but would like to hear from others first

On 11/18/2018 at 8:26 AM, Beetlecat said:

x200-4 is unique-ish

FuelTankPlus has one, and I think some other tank's mods

Launching .bat is needed for FL-1600, so x200-4 can be leaved there, or separate these parts

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

As in a secondary mod

Edited by flart

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've spent almost an hour trying to find out which mod added 2 black fuel tanks. It's this one. And it's not even a conflict, much to my surprise!

@linuxgurugamer This screenshot is from a vanilla KSP 1.9.1 instance with nothing except for this mod and its one dependency installed. That's it. Is this mod incompatible or just bugged? They're the FL-T1600 and the Rockomax X200-4. I installed this mod using CKAN.

Edu18H5.jpg

Just now, Krzeszny said:

I've spent almost an hour trying to find out which mod added 2 black fuel tanks. It's this one. And it's not even a conflict, much to my surprise!

@linuxgurugamer This screenshot is from a vanilla KSP 1.9.1 instance with nothing except for this mod and its one dependency installed. That's it. Is this mod incompatible or just bugged? They're the FL-T1600 and the Rockomax X200-4. I installed this mod using CKAN.

Edu18H5.jpg

Looks like some textures got deprecated.   I’ll see what i can do.

Thx for the report

3 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

I guess you didn't bother to read the installation instructions, listed in the OP and in the mod itself.  The T1600 is fixed with the instructions, I do have to do an update for the X200:

One of the parts (a tank) uses some Squad textures.  Unfortunately, in 1.5, some of the textures it uses have been moved into the zDeprecated directory, and are not directly accessible during loading.  This causes some textures to be missing.

To address this, I've provided a pair of scripts, one to be used on Windows and the other to be used on both Linux & OSX.  These only need to be run one time

Windows Instructions

1. Open the Kerbonov folder in Windows Explorer
  2. Double-click on the file Windows_CopyTextures.bat (note that on most systems, you won't see the .bat)

Linux & OSX Desktop Instructions

• Open the Kerbonov folder Desktop 
  • Double-click on the file:  BashCopyTextures.sh

Linux & OSX Terminal Instructions

1. Change to the GameData/Kerbonov directory
  2. Type the following:
        bash BashCopyTextures.sh

On 4/15/2020 at 10:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I guess you didn't bother to read the installation instructions, listed in the OP and in the mod itself.  The T1600 is fixed with the instructions, I do have to do an update for the X200:

Sorry, I didn't notice the installation instructions. This may sound like a rant but it's not supposed to. I didn't expect having to manually install a CKAN-compatible mod.

You should change the mod's name from "Kerbonov Kn-2 Cockpit Module" to something like "Kerbonov cockpits and other parts (READ THE FORUM OP)". I didn't even know this mod added fuel tanks because the current name is misleading.

By the way, is it illegal to include Squad's deprecated textures with the download just so the installation is automatic?

On 4/15/2020 at 10:57 PM, kspnerd122 said:

guys im thinking of a new planet mod where this thing would be perfect(mk1 sized hitchhiker module)

This Mk1 hitchhiker is so perfect that it should be in the stock game!

4 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

By the way, is it illegal to include Squad's deprecated textures with the download just so the installation is automatic?

Yes.  I have requested permission several times, but never got permission.

Sorry, I didn't notice the installation instructions. This may sound like a rant but it's not supposed to. I didn't expect having to manually install a CKAN-compatible mod

It makes sense to me, that if you are having a problem with a mod to read the OP and some of the topic before reporting a bug.

You should change the mod's name from "Kerbonov Kn-2 Cockpit Module" to something like "Kerbonov cockpits and other parts (READ THE FORUM OP)". I didn't even know this mod added fuel tanks because the current name is misleading.

Sorry about the problem you had.  Mods cannot be easily renamed in CKAN, besides thats too long.  That was the name when I adopted it, so I just added the “Continued”

• 1 month later...

I've never been good at planes, building them or flying them, but these parts have inspired me to give it another go.

49977393738_9c1f0cab9e_w_d.jpg

Not too bad. Built from scratch. Lifts off from the runway at 40 m/s. I've even been able to land it on the runway. Craft file at https://kerbalx.com/CaptKordite/Kerbonov-KN-1

49977393658_c73a46aa27_w_d.jpg

Took the stock Aeris and swapped out the cockpit. Pretty agile. Lifts off the runway at 60 m/s.

49977911976_344f78b327_w_d.jpg

I like this one. Kind of a slug to get off the runway (100 m/s) but I've only broken the bottom engine off once.

• 7 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 4:00 PM, CaptKordite said:

I've never been good at planes, building them or flying them, but these parts have inspired me to give it another go.

49977393738_9c1f0cab9e_w_d.jpg

Not too bad. Built from scratch. Lifts off from the runway at 40 m/s. I've even been able to land it on the runway. Craft file at https://kerbalx.com/CaptKordite/Kerbonov-KN-1

49977393658_c73a46aa27_w_d.jpg

Took the stock Aeris and swapped out the cockpit. Pretty agile. Lifts off the runway at 60 m/s.

49977911976_344f78b327_w_d.jpg

I like this one. Kind of a slug to get off the runway (100 m/s) but I've only broken the bottom engine off once.

Seriously. This is one of the best parts packs. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.