Your KSP Folders

Superfluous J

(Mods: I was unsure if this should go in KSP Discussion or The Lounge, so I flipped a coin. If the coin was wrong, first of all it's the coin's fault and I knew that no-good coin would get me into trouble eventually, but secondly I will not mind one bit if you move this)

So while installing a NEW Kerbal Space Program instance (to test Tilt'Em) I noticed I had collected quite a few installs over the years. Some are one-offs, others are the workhorse installs that I keep up to date when new versions come out. I don't know why but I thought It'd be interesting to share.

Last Used   Name            Use
05/18/2016  KSP_105         I don't know why I kept it originally, but now I just keep it for posterity.
05/24/2017  ksp_galileo     A stalled-out YouTube series. I keep it as if I'll ever return to it.
05/17/2018  ksp_kerpollo    A completed YouTube series.
06/28/2018  ksp_contracts   For whenever I want to use Contract Configurator.
07/04/2018  ksp_kopernicus  For whenever I want to play with a planet pack.
07/19/2018  ksp_current     Very poorly named, but at one time it was my main install, full mods, whatever I wanted.
08/09/2018  ksp_snarkman    For my last series that I did on Imgur, the Snarkman Challenge (Caveman in the Snarkiverse)
10/08/2018  ksp_stockish    Lightly modded. Nothing that changes the gameplay, just "Quality of Life" mods.
11/15/2018  ksp_actualstock Very poorly named. Only a very very few mods.
11/15/2018  ksp_tilt        What started this idea.

So what installs do you have, and what are their purposes?

Let's see, let's see... where's those folders. Ah, here they are.

07/03/2018    Kerbal Space Program                          My current gameplay folder (v1.4.5)

16/10/2016    Kerbal Space Program - black sky     Has an almost (but not quite) black skybox, to make it easier to cutout vehicles etc. for photoshopping.

07/03/2018    Kerbal Space Program - modding      The one I used to test out my "Honest Purple's Land O'Junk" parts mod.

26/10/2017    Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1               The build which I use for my LOST on Laythe story images.

25/06/2017    Kerbal Space Program story               A build with a bunch of parts mods in it to create vehicles for a story that I've been planning to write for a while.

Edited by purpleivan

Untitled.png

KSP 1.3 - My first version and first install on my desktop.  My Dres occupation was done in there.

KSP 1.3.1 - My biggest, most modded, most played install.  Likely going back to it soon.

KSP 1.4.1 - Probably stock, never really played in there.  GoG never provided a 1.4 installer, so I never did get to play 1.4.

KSP 1.4.2 - Never played much in there, like 1.4.1.

KSP 143 - A 1.4.3 Install that I kept on a USB 3.0 HDD for awhile so I could play on multiple computers without needing to copy anything ever.

KSP 1.4.5 - Standard 1.4.5 install, fairly modded.

KSP 1.4.5 BDA - 1.4.5 install with only BDA armory installed for helping out a forum member with an issue.

KSP 1.5.1 - Mostly stock 1.5.1 install that I've been toying around in.

KSP 1.5.1 AFBW - Otherwise stock install with AFBW for diagnosing an issue

KSP_DM_1.4.5_C - 1.4.5 Install for the second instance/map view mod testing (client)

KSP_DM_1.4.5_S - 1.4.5 install for the second instance/map view mod testing (server)

I've had quite a few more, but most were just temporary or on other computers and forgotten.  1.4.4 was released during my hiatus.  I've thought about requesting it from GoG, but 1. Chances are they wouldn't give it to me anyway, and 2. I don't really... care.

Edited by Geonovast

Hmm.. lets see, definitely a few still around, sadly I don't have last used dates handy:

KSP-105		Actual career game, mostly kept around to relive the 'good old days' before Unity5 screwed up landing legs
KSP-131		No clue what this contains at this point.  Think it might have started as a career install, and then ended up turning it into a mod install.
KSP-145DEV	1.4.5 Dev environment for modding -- has the mods that I actively develop, plus sometimes scatterer, eve, KS3P
KSP-145		1.4.5 Career / Testing			  -- lots of mods for an actual career game
KSP-150DEV	1.5.1 Dev environment for modding -- has the mods that I actively develop, plus sometimes scatterer, eve, KS3P
KSP-151		1.5.1 Career / Testing			  -- currently just a copy of my dev install, but with actual releases of my mods rather than dev versions; used for testing releases and mod conflicts
something/something/KerbalSpaceProgram 		The Steam installation that I copy my actual folders from.  It gets booted once after every KSP update just to make sure the configs have been regenerated for the latest KSP.

The 1.4.x folders will likely be going away in the next few weeks as I finish updating all of my mods for 1.5.x.

At times there will be 2-3 more folders of the current KSP version, generally with most/all stock parts trimmed out to facilitate faster boot times for iterative testing; these install folders would contain various combinations of the mods I develop, to test them in specific combinations or by themselves.

iXFYkm8.png

Just a few versions.  the _dmp is one I set up for testing the multiplayer on, but haven't gotten around to yet.

KSP.7z contains everything (with mods) back to 0.15 (except a small handful of versions that I never installed) and the 0.13.3 demo.

So my active installs 
HekuV4j.png

The archive folder has full installs, just being shuffled off, but not quite willing to remove in case there was something important in there
4gRTCNO.png

Then after a while I just keep the saves folder and remove the rest
RmYpD8u.png

I've always used git to keep saves in version control. In the past I'd just copy the saves folder out when archiving, but now for my main career I keep the origin repo in my archive folder and just push different KSP save versions to different branches. So I end up with fewer folders now.

I still have all the versions I ever played on my hard drive, a modded and a stock version of each KSP patch since 0.9 came out. That includes all the 1.2.9 pre-releases and all.

Some instances have more than one modded version, for example the RSS stuff, or for GPP or things like that.

All together they are over 200GB now. Plus I keep a copy of all that on an external dive too.

At the moment I still play 1.3.1 mostly (an SVT/SVE install, an RSS one, and a SSRSS one too) but I started to dabble with 1.5.1 now too.

Uh let see my KSP folder are

Kerbal Weapons Program 1.4.2 (For some Weaponary and no longer use (i probably will gonna deleted it).)

Kerbal Weapons Program 1.4.5 (For Kerbal Power Weapon Creation and such and still in use)

Kerbal Space Program 1.5.0 (My latest File that i download.)

Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 (Most of my Space Stuff in here, fairly modded and it's the only File that i use the most)

25_KSP.zip			My first surviving KSP install. Has the saves and screenshots from previous installs
90_KSP.zip			.90 install
1_0_5_KSP.zip		1.0.5 install
1_1_KSP.zip			1.1 install
KSP_112.zip			1.1.2 install
KSP_113.zip			1.1.3 install
KSP_12.zip			1.2 install
ksp-win64-1.3.1.zip	1.3.1 install
KSP_RO				1.1.3 Realism Overhaul main install
KSP_RO_TEST			1.1.3 Realism Overhaul secondary install with a much lighter mod load. Also meant for testing my own mod
KSP_RP				1.2.2 install with mods for a role-play like challenge (the challenge ended up dying, as did the reboot)
KSP_test			1.2.2 install for testing my own mods with a clean install
KSP_1_4				1.4 main install
KSP_1_4_1			1.4.1 main install
KSP_1_4_4			1.4.4 main install
KSP_1_4_5			1.4.5 main install, lightly modded (only 1.5 gb gamedata)
KSP_1_4_5_modded	1.4.5 secondary install, heavily modded (3.25 gb gamedata) for a challenge

And that's it. I haven't installed anything past 1.4.5.

6 minutes ago, SlinkyMcman said:

So I imagine you guys have non-Steam version's of this game? I'm not sure how I would be able to do this locked into Steam's system.

There's no DRM attached to KSP.  Once Steam installs the game, you can simply re-name the folder or move it, and Steam won't know or care.

2 hours ago, SlinkyMcman said:

So I imagine you guys have non-Steam version's of this game? I'm not sure how I would be able to do this locked into Steam's system.

1. Open up c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ in Windows Explorer.
  2. Right click "Kerbal Space Program" and Copy it.
  3. Navigate to where you want it to be. (I like d:\ myself)
  4. Right click there and Paste.
  5. Go get some coffee or a sandwich.
  6. Run KSP from that folder and it's a whole new instance.

It's worth it to note, this works because Squad is awesome. It won't work for 99% of the other games on Steam.

Edited by 5thHorseman

ipb1GRt.png

Active on my main drive...  AS and ASH_OLD are version set up for working with airships.  (For my Airship Adventures posts, see my sig.)  KSP Mods are downloaded mods, filed by game version.  KSP Screenshots are copies of the screenshots from versions on my backup drive.  (Mostly for reference to old designs.)

yVHITkj.png

KSP on my backup drive...  J5 is a 'special' install with just the mods I used for my Jool-5 run.  Versions prior to 090 (back to 025) were lost in a hard drive crash as I hadn't been very good about making back ups.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, 5thHorseman said:

(Mods: I was unsure if this should go in KSP Discussion or The Lounge, so I flipped a coin. If the coin was wrong, first of all it's the coin's fault and I knew that no-good coin would get me into trouble eventually, but secondly I will not mind one bit if you move this)

So while installing a NEW Kerbal Space Program instance (to test Tilt'Em) I noticed I had collected quite a few installs over the years. Some are one-offs, others are the workhorse installs that I keep up to date when new versions come out. I don't know why but I thought It'd be interesting to share.

Last Used   Name            Use
05/18/2016  KSP_105         I don't know why I kept it originally, but now I just keep it for posterity.
05/24/2017  ksp_galileo     A stalled-out YouTube series. I keep it as if I'll ever return to it.
05/17/2018  ksp_kerpollo    A completed YouTube series.
06/28/2018  ksp_contracts   For whenever I want to use Contract Configurator.
07/04/2018  ksp_kopernicus  For whenever I want to play with a planet pack.
07/19/2018  ksp_current     Very poorly named, but at one time it was my main install, full mods, whatever I wanted.
08/09/2018  ksp_snarkman    For my last series that I did on Imgur, the Snarkman Challenge (Caveman in the Snarkiverse)
10/08/2018  ksp_stockish    Lightly modded. Nothing that changes the gameplay, just "Quality of Life" mods.
11/15/2018  ksp_actualstock Very poorly named. Only a very very few mods.
11/15/2018  ksp_tilt        What started this idea.

So what installs do you have, and what are their purposes?

im trying to make two installs and my normal one (the one i copied from steam into a new folder) wont work, i cant launch it its just a black screen

Spoiler

KSP 1.2:Has my first spacecraft,my first save etc..

KSP cool carrer:has a PC melting number of mods

Surviving duna:Save where SD happens

A million light years from home:Save where AMLYFH happens

KSP real solar sistem+ro:Self explanotory.

Gaians Space Program:My galileo planet pack save

Kains Space Program:My Gameslinx planet pack save.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.