Inline Landing Legs?

I'll make this short. Landing legs, while useful, stick off the edges of your craft. It could be useful to have some inline landing legs, maybe part of a fuel tank. would be great for landers, the only problem I can CURRENTLY see with this is the placement on the tech tree, and the usage besides reducing a small amount of possible explodey parts. Your thoughts?

An additional bigger size landing legs that are stored in aerodynamic pods seems like a pretty good idea (there's probably a mod with more landing gear parts). Currently i'm using AeroBrakes from the same purpose on my Duna Lander. I think the game kinda just wants everyone to land on their engines since they're generally more stable compared to landing gear. I want kerbal to extend the tech tree so having these be worth 1450 science wouldn't phase me at all (definitely a mod for that).

1 minute ago, HobbitJack said:

Well, I guess I really didn't think about part clipping.  This thread is kind-of irrelevant now.

I disagree.  Some of us find part clipping intolerable.  I for one would love radially attached shielded legs similar to the Buffalo ones.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I disagree.  Some of us find part clipping intolerable.  I for one would love radially attached shielded legs similar to the Buffalo ones.

Yah, the main reason I suggested it was because I HATE part clipping, but also for other reasons. I NEVER use part clipping, but I rather use part clipping to get my "inline landing legs" than have them sticking off the side. The reason? I want them to survive my crazy ascent profile through Eve.

2 hours ago, cfds said:

Does part clipping actually shield the clipped parts in stock aerodynamics?

AFAIK no, their drag is added to the parent part.

At least it was like that last time I checked, some KSP versions ago. And we havent been informed of any changes there.

7 hours ago, cfds said:

Does part clipping actually shield the clipped parts in stock aerodynamics?

Not from drag, but it can get them behind the "heat shield cone".

10 hours ago, Geonovast said:

To clarify, I'm not against a new inline landing leg part at all, I was just suggesting existing alternative solutions.

There is a large node attached landing leg in the Mining Extension pack I use on larger sized landers. The Making History 5m Kerbodyne Engine Cluster Adapter Tank makes a good lander base to attach legs and have a central node for an engine placement.

lm8s6Ug.jpg

Edited by Tonka Crash

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, lrd.Helmet said:

I was thinking you might be able to use the extending ladders as landing legs. However they don't appear to be very impact resistant.

Plus, last I checked the actual ladder part of the ladder clips through terrain

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HobbitJack said:

The whole point is to avoid clipping. Can you put a landing leg inside a fuel tank in real-life and expect to receive no capacity issues or have it actually be able to land? Also, part clipping looks UGLY.

Lazy part clipping to handwaive a design problem looks ugly. I generally try to avoid it myself, but the single-part way you design vessels in KSP sometimes mandates clipping for greater realism rather than less. Science parts, doohickeys, avionics and other things that would normally be inside something that otherwise has a lot of empty space in it like crew cabins, but don't warrant an entire service bay to themselves. Done right it can be made to look aesthetically pleasing, a la cupcake's SSTOs, even if those are rather pushing it in terms of realism.

I also tend to use small degrees of clipping to make part transitions look nicer, within the realms of the imagined amount of empty volume each part offers.

Edited by Loskene

6 minutes ago, Loskene said:

Lazy part clipping to handwaive a design problem looks ugly. I generally try to avoid it myself, but the single-part way you design vessels in KSP sometimes mandates clipping for greater realism rather than less. Science parts, doohickeys, avionics and other things that would normally be inside something that otherwise has a lot of empty space in it like crew cabins, but don't warrant an entire service bay to themselves. Done right it can be made to look aesthetically pleasing, a la cupcake's SSTOs, even if those are rather pushing it in terms of realism.

I also tend to use small degrees of clipping to make part transitions look nicer, within the realms of the imagined amount of empty volume each part offers.

The issue in this context isn't strictly part clipping, but part clipping of moving parts.  Having pieces magically pass through each other because of clipping is just downright hideous.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.