A game made in MS Paint. Mad? Perhaps, but we did it anyways.

Moach

Doctor Tsunami, the game is called. 
All the artwork in it was made using nothing other than MS Paint;  And it was put together with Game Maker Studios (The "Paint" of game engines) to boot.

But why? I hear you cry. What ever could have possessed someone to do this? Well... I can't really say. It's art I think. Or maybe its just a way to prove that you don't need modern tools that promise to make it all easy for you; And anyone can make a game if they just put their mind to it. Even without expensive specialized software.

As for me, this game is special because well... I was part of the very small team who made it. I got in half-way through development, but then I ended up buffing up most of the code, redoing anything that didn't really work and whatnot (especially whatnot, when the rest of the team is ONE other guy)

But mainly, I feel my biggest part in it was writing the original soundtrack. I had been brewing up some of this music for eons, as if waiting for some big project where it would fit. When my friend Rob (the guy who did it all in Paint) asked me for help and I saw the game, I felt this was somewhere I could put down all those ideas, not saving any for "later" as I had done so far. 

And since he was doing it all in Paint, animation included; (over 4000 individual images, in the end) I had no reservations about the fact that I did not have any of my music equipment ready at hand. And kept with the spirit of the project by scoring all in MIDI by mouse and keyboard. 

Of course, there are many better ways of doing it... But I think this was the whole point of the exercise, to show that games are not made by the tool, but by the hands and minds that wield it.

And yesterday, the game was finally released on Steam: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8618 ... r_Tsunami/

Needless to say, as a two-man team just breaking in to the gaming industry; We got quite a lot riding on this. Anyways, I hope you like it. :) 

G. A. "Moach" Falanghe   (yes, "Falanghe" as in "the guy who made KSP" - he's my brother btw, did I mention it?)

Ps:
If you find any bugs, let me know. There are over 180 levels in Doctor Tsunami, and you can probably guess that a team of two is by no means sufficient to cover it all thoroughly enough to find them all. We've set up a forum for it here: https://www.doctor-tsunami.com/forum

Well, enjoy!

Edited by Moach
added link for original soundtrack video on youtube

Oh, this shot:

ss_6104a728bbcf46f1eacd123b19b2443548ebf

I felt like being back in The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening and Woodruff!

EDIT: Okay... I did not resist... I took it...

EDIT 2: Just in case, it seems like my computer is unable to display the game in full screen. The loading screen is available, however. Once restarted in a-kind-of-4:3 screen it worked perfectly. I just completed the introduction and the chats between characters is... pretty funny!

Edited by XB-70A

curiously, that full screen bug you mentioned is something I had happen to me as well once... but I couldn't make it happen again afterwards, and it went full screen fine if I did it after the load game screen... 

I'm  gonna look into it, hopefully it's something stupid and not a deeply rooted issue with GMS (the underlying engine, which has caused us no end of problems so far)

Thanks for letting us know; And  please do tell if anything else comes up.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 2:17 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Are you the guy I JUST flew with in GeoFS?

Username: Angels 7

I'm not sure if it's you or the other member of your team, but DM me when you get the chance. ;) 

Lol! Busted!

It was me in GeoFS - Small world eh?

to everyone else asking "what da?", long story short:  we've met flying online on GeoFS, both with different usernames.

I suppose this goes to show how KSP fans are an overlapping audience with flight simulators in general. This is actually quite important for my next project, to which "Dr. T" is the key for our hopes of resources.

7 hours ago, Moach said:

Lol! Busted!

It was me in GeoFS - Small world eh?

to everyone else asking "what da?", long story short:  we've met flying online on GeoFS, both with different usernames.

I suppose this goes to show how KSP fans are an overlapping audience with flight simulators in general. This is actually quite important for my next project, to which "Dr. T" is the key for our hopes of resources.

That's awesome. Nice to meet you Moach. We should do another flight someday. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.