[1.5.x-1.11.x ] Telemachus Reborn

DanGSun

1 hour ago, BamBam said:

I just found this mod, and it all functions quite well.  I see that the orbital maps bug is still there, but the really killer bug is the halting micro-freezes.  The flight of even a really simple rocket is stuttery and halting.

If i do not place the telemachus antenna on a ship, and load the flight normally then it runs smooth.  If i place the antenna on board it becomes all stuttery.   :unsure:

Has there been any progress on identifying the cause of this?  What can I do to correct it?

I think the fix is in progress, it's in Github rn

Hi there! [WAVES] New Telemachus user here. Been meaning to check it out for ages, and now I've finally got round to it. =:o}

Is there any way to specify which browser is used to open Telemachus/Houston? At the moment it opens in my default browser, but for various reasons (mainly to do with memory consumption, but also with possible accidental privacy slips when recording my missions!) I'd like to keep a clean, separate browser instance just for Telemachus.

I'm aware this may be a case of taking the mod slightly away from being "platform agnostic", as the means of pointing it to a specific browser installation to launch will vary from one OS to another. (I'm on Windows, where the simple solution would be to let me specify the pathname of the browser's ".exe" file, e.g. by editing a simple .cfg file.)

Is this already doable, or would it need an extra code to be added to the mod?

On 9/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, pbristow said:

Hi there! [WAVES] New Telemachus user here. Been meaning to check it out for ages, and now I've finally got round to it. =:o}

Is there any way to specify which browser is used to open Telemachus/Houston? At the moment it opens in my default browser, but for various reasons (mainly to do with memory consumption, but also with possible accidental privacy slips when recording my missions!) I'd like to keep a clean, separate browser instance just for Telemachus.

I'm aware this may be a case of taking the mod slightly away from being "platform agnostic", as the means of pointing it to a specific browser installation to launch will vary from one OS to another. (I'm on Windows, where the simple solution would be to let me specify the pathname of the browser's ".exe" file, e.g. by editing a simple .cfg file.)

Is this already doable, or would it need an extra code to be added to the mod?

Chrome works fine. Used it on PC and Ipad. 

@pbristow I kno its not as nice as being able to tell Telemachus which browser to open (Windows and maybe Linux), handle determining your default browser, but what I do, is open my preferred browser for Telemachus use, type in the IP, and when the menu for Telemachus comes up, i bookmark each menu page seperately... Then IIRC, its just a matter of opening that browser manually, and clicking your bookmarks, and voila, Telemachus just works ;)

Edit, oh yeah, there is no .exe... Telemachus is all .html and .json... *thats* why its OS and browser agnostic... so yeah, you cant specify which browser to use to open certain file extensions... I mean, you *can*, but then your OS would just be switching your default browser in that case.

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue: I was referring to the .exe of the browser. I.e. Have a Telemachus.cfg with a line in it like:
Browser = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
... or whatever.

I'm already using the "open your chosen browser and then point it at the telemachus URL" trick, but thanks for teh thought.

Hmm... I wonder if I can just bodge something into Windows shortcut...?

6 hours ago, pbristow said:

@Stone Blue: I was referring to the .exe of the browser. I.e. Have a Telemachus.cfg with a line in it like:
Browser = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
... or whatever.

I'm already using the "open your chosen browser and then point it at the telemachus URL" trick, but thanks for teh thought.

Hmm... I wonder if I can just bodge something into Windows shortcut...?

Telemachus has fixed URL. You can just add it in your browser's bookmarks. 

2 hours ago, DanGSun said:

Telemachus has fixed URL. You can just add it in your browser's bookmarks. 

He means being able to specify a different browser opening when you click the Open Link button in the PAWS ingame, than having it open your default OS browser

ie if Firefox is set as default browser in Windows, the ingame buttons will open FF... If you want to use Telemachus in Chrome instead, but *not* have Chrome as your default Windows browser, then you have to *not* use the ingame buttons, and open Chrome manually oustide the game

Edited by Stone Blue

Hi,

Im programming PLCs (Machine Controllers) for a Living. Mostly for Packaging and Logistics-Maschines, lately Cigarette-Maschines.
At my Job, im using PLC from various manufacturers f.e. Siemens, Beckhoff, Wago, Allen Bradley.

For Hobby Projects like home Automation etc. im using Raspberry PIs with a CODESYS V3 Soft-PLC.

Since im used to Structured Text (PLC Programming Language) and for Training purpose, i started to write a little library to communicate between a CODESYS PLC and KSP via Telemachus HTTP-Telegramms.
Works really nice so far.

I just wanted to thank you really much for your effort and that you resurrected this awesome project!

If there are questions about PLCs or how i did the html-thing in the controller, just ask :-)

Greetings from Hamburg/Germany

CloudHead

• 4 weeks later...

So here's a question for anyone who may know, not just @DanGSun ...
How difficult would it be to edit the code, to have an option to turn off all the mapping features for Telemachus, yet leave everything else working?

It seems Telemachus just continually throws nullrefs when you are using any planet pack or maybe even rescaled systems... anything but stock system...
Making Telemachus *completely* useless in any install other than stock Kerbol system... :(

Telemchus is throwing these during game loading, while JNSQ textures are loading, and they continually throw while ingame......

[EXC 01:37:04.228] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Telemachus.TelemachusBehaviour.Update ()

Edited by Stone Blue

On 10/13/2019 at 9:06 AM, Stone Blue said:

So here's a question for anyone who may know, not just @DanGSun ...
How difficult would it be to edit the code, to have an option to turn off all the mapping features for Telemachus, yet leave everything else working?

It seems Telemachus just continually throws nullrefs when you are using any planet pack or maybe even rescaled systems... anything but stock system...
Making Telemachus *completely* useless in any install other than stock Kerbol system... :(

Telemchus is throwing these during game loading, while JNSQ textures are loading, and they continually throw while ingame......

[EXC 01:37:04.228] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Telemachus.TelemachusBehaviour.Update ()

Probably, if I'll just make a killswitch on the Backend-side, there will be some problems at frontend. But it's worth trying though.

P.S: I am NOT an experienced C# programmer nor a unity developer. I am experienced in Python, but not C#. I am trying to continue this mod without enough knowledge about C#, so... I think, it would be easy to make a killswitch for map-related things in API, but I can't guarantee I'd make it.

P.P.S: I do not have enough time for gaming, so hour in KSP per week is the best... So 

P.P.P.S: Actually, the most Major thing I did for Telemachus is a building Pipeline. If someone commits to Houston repository, it getting bundled automatically, and then if SB commited to main repo, Telemachus automatically grabs Houston and builds it into one ZIP-file, which is fully ready to installation. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Kerlix i dont remember if Telemachus already has this functionailty built-in or not...

But in the meantime, MechJeb and VOID- Vessel Orbital Information Display, and Graphotron all can save data to a .csv, which can then be converted to .xls.

Disclaimer, MJ has been updated for 1.8.0, and if VOID has not been yet, it probably will be soon, since Linuxgurugamer adopted it and he is currently working on updating the tons of mods he caretakes for 1.8.0. Graphotron may/may not work in 1.8.0, but I *think* it works in KSP 1.3.1 to 1.7.3. vOv

@DanGSun Theres also the old Kerminal interface addon for Telemachus, which also seems able to already do .csv logging. I dont know if it still works or not, but might be something for you or "someone" to poke around and look at .. vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/15/2019 at 7:53 PM, Elmo's Minion said:

I think the fix is in progress, it's in Github rn

Does anyone have a link to the relevant  changes on github? Is there any update on this issue? I just installed telemachus-reborn 1.7.0  on ksp 1.7.3 via ckan  and I'm  experiencing the regular (mini) freezes (0.5 second hang approx. every 3 seconds) 

other mods installed: kOS, RemoteTech, DangIt, (+dependencies)

thx for maintaining!

EDIT: It seems the DangIt-mod was the source of freezes, after disabling it the freezes were gone. sorry for the confusion.

Edited by kerbalchekov

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CocoaGames said:

If i use RSS, will the map on the consle change?

Most likely not... I dont think anyone has gotten anything done, as far as 1) getting other-than-stock maps, made and hosted on the (new) KerbalMaps site, and 2) any code changes that may need to be made to Telemachus to actually *use*, and switch to those maps. There was talk of getting JNSQ maps done... I dont know where that stands... vOv

Relevant thread is here (bottom half of page 1, into pg 2):

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please document the correct build sequence and process?   The "build documentation"  simply says (after explaining that you need to create the ksp-telemachus-dev directory within the clone/pull and put all KSP game files within) "open in Visual Studio".   have Visual Studio 2019 installed.

I can build the project OK, but AfterBuild.bat looks rife with errors and I'm not getting anywhere with AfterBuild.sh - has the end-to-end process been documented anywhere?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for continuing/maintaining this, it's an awesome mod!

I've installed it on 1.8.1 and it seems to work without issue. I've only tried a few flights on Kerbin so far though.
I took the stable build from the OP and added the unstable 1.8 files to it. (I'm not sure if that was the intended way, but it seems to work)

One small issue I noticed is that the marker icons did not load in the map display. For now, I worked around that by copying all files from \GameData\Telemachus\Plugins\PluginData\Telemachus\img one directory up.
I'm sure there is a proper way, but I have not yet found that :P

On 1/25/2020 at 7:12 PM, neveroddoreven said:

I can build the project OK, but AfterBuild.bat looks rife with errors and I'm not getting anywhere with AfterBuild.sh - has the end-to-end process been documented anywhere?

I submitted a Pull-Request for exactly that problem. you can try building the respective branch. pull-request is here: https://github.com/TeleIO/Telemachus-1/pull/25

(The marker icons may still be gone then)

23 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Have you tried getting any instrument readings from any of the stock science parts? namely any of the small sensors?

Actually, I had tried but assumed it was another mod that broke this (Kerbalism changes a lot of science type things, it also removes the 'Toggle Display'  option).
But, I tried with only Telemachus and indeed, the Pressure, G-Force and Temperature data do not show.

The G-Force and Atmospheric Pressure data streams from the Vessel category do show data. Not as a graph though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.