S.O.S. Tourists Stranded on the Mun

Okay, fellow Kerbalnauts. Here's the story. I got two Tourists and several other crewmembers to the Mun using a mobile base. Unfortunately, I tipped it over and had to send another one (that's empty) to that landing site to rescue the crew. I was able to get them on board the new rover - as well as a Lvl. 4 Tourist that I made using the cheats - but not the two game-generated Lvl 1 tourists I need. I tried to get them to EVA out of the wreckage, but the game gave me the message "Tourists may not disembark from this vessel." 

How do I get them out of the wreckage if I can't EVA? I only have 9 Kerbal years before they need to be back home safely, and so far it looks like, unless I do something, they'll be stuck on the Mun forever.

This is a pretty tough situation. Unless you can directly attach another vessel to the target ship, they are kinda stuck. I don’t think that the claw slows you to transfer, but I may be wrong. 

I you are playing a game with quick saves, you might just want to abandon the current game state and try again, as there is no clear way out of such a connundrum. 

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias_the_Goat said:

This is a pretty tough situation. Unless you can directly attach another vessel to the target ship, they are kinda stuck. I don’t think that the claw slows you to transfer, but I may be wrong. 

I you are playing a game with quick saves, you might just want to abandon the current game state and try again, as there is no clear way out of such a connundrum. 

It's too late for quick saves now, but I think I found this post helpful - 

21 minutes ago, l0kki said:

You might be able to transfer them if you use a claw

Okay, new plan: send a small, remote-controlled rover with a claw, dock it to the wreckage and transfer the tourists out of there, and then dock the rescue rover to a lunar lander when it arrives to pick them up (and send them to Minmus)

Any ideas on designs for such rovers? I'm open to images and/or craft files if you have any.

27 minutes ago, Ozymandias_the_Goat said:

Claw allow crew transfer. But you need an lander with rover wheels and an claw who can grab the failed lander. You might want one claw on each side at different height for safety. 
Make it probe controlled or have an pilot and two empty seats. 

Instead of 2 klaws, have abundance of reaction wheels, so that you can angle your rover this way and that, so that you could attach the claw perpendicularly to the surface. You may make the rover parts droppable, and give it an engine and fuel tank so that it's the return capsule. And really, really don't bother with skycranes, landing legs etc. Just set your rover gently on the engine and tip it over using the reaction wheels. Reverse the process for launch.

18 hours ago, Ozymandias_the_Goat said:

But that's cheating! 

Well depending on how big the capsule that the passengers are in you could create a recovery vehicle to go get the whole capsule and bring it back to Kerbin.... I have had to do this before.   But that was YEARS ago... and at the time I was running quite a few mods I am not running now, like Kerbal Attachment System.  (there was no claw back then.)

On 11/20/2018 at 6:04 PM, Sharpy said:

Instead of 2 klaws, have abundance of reaction wheels, so that you can angle your rover this way and that, so that you could attach the claw perpendicularly to the surface. You may make the rover parts droppable, and give it an engine and fuel tank so that it's the return capsule. And really, really don't bother with skycranes, landing legs etc. Just set your rover gently on the engine and tip it over using the reaction wheels. Reverse the process for launch.

Recommended two simply as you can put one on backside if launched as stage inside fairing. who I would done here. decent stage with wheels and fairing, probably an small upper stage 

I think I got a good rescue rover going. I built a "test wreckage" in the same orientation and design as the stranded rover that my tourists are trapped in. I then tested the claw to see if I can transfer Kerbals between the wreckage and the rover, and it worked perfectly when I put my claw in the right spot. After that. I tested the rescue rover to move tourists to the Munar Lander I have planned, and it worked.

• I even put a couple of drills, a converter, and a fuel tank to convert ore to fuel in case the lander needs some gas.
  • Also, as it is BASA (Blacksburg Aeronautics and Space Administration) regulations to have a means of egress in case of emergency, I put an Mk. 1 Lander pod on the rover and some ladders

Link to craft file for reference - built in the SPHhttps://mega.nz/#!Depz2QyI!isXGprskZbLP4KnLNuNHcbI279s6FnLcsj8Vydm_sio

Now I got another problem: how do I get that thing up to the Mun? I'm open to ideas; screenshots and/or craft files welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.