KSP Loading... Our New Dev Diary!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_pikc1sbEcR1rr2wit_540.jpg

Welcome to the first edition of our official newsletter, KSP Loading… !  Do you want to get the latest news about everything KSP? Then here is the place to be. In KSP Loading… we will share all current developments of KSP intermittently between each update and more, so without further ado, let’s begin!

Update 1.6

As you probably know by now, we are currently working on update 1.6 as part of our plan to deliver quarterly updates. These quarterly updates will keep offering exciting new content that will enhance our players’ game experience, as well as overall improvements to performance and bug fixes. A key aspect of our work in recent months has been in limiting the impact on mods.  As many of you have noticed, the majority of mods that worked on 1.4 did so for 1.5 as well. That’s not to say there won’t be any issues with existing mods when there are updates, but we will continue with this effort as we know that mods are an essential part of KSP and of what makes it great.

Part Catalogue Revamps

Fuel Tank Adapters

For the last couple of weeks we have been teasing throughout our social media channels bits and pieces of what we are preparing for update 1.6 and, as you have seen, we are continuing the revamping effort of the part catalogue; focusing particularly on giving life to older parts that aren’t optimized or simply look outdated. One of such parts is the Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3 Adapter. The purpose of this adapter was to accommodate the Rockomax and the Kerbodyne S3 fuel tank series, but it never really matched with the designs of either tank series. With a total remaking of the adapter’s diffuse, normal, and specular texture maps, as well as with the introduction of a brand new variant, this adapter will now seamlessly blend between these two tank series and its variants. We are looking into the possibility of giving the ADTP-2-3 Adapter fuel carrying capabilities as it has been suggested by the community.

tumblr_inline_pikc4hic8o1rr2wit_540.jpg

Click here for the high-res images

Other adapters that received the good ol’ makeover treatment are all three TVR Stack Couplers. After the introduction of new variants for the the FL-T tank series in update 1.4, these adapters no longer match the tanks they were supposed to fit. Therefore, we needed to revise the TVR series and create brand new diffuse, normal, and specular texture maps for them to combine with all of the different versions of the FL-T tank series.

tumblr_inline_pikc63IOQ21rr2wit_540.jpg

Similarly, both the FL-A5 and the FL-A10 Adapters got a well-deserved makeover. Designed for connecting 1.25m parts to 0.625m parts, these adapters got their UV maps optimized and received new diffuse, normal and specular texture maps. Additionally, a new variant that will match with the orange FL-T tank series was included.

tumblr_inline_pikc4umaqR1rr2wit_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pikc4uctqj1rr2wit_540.jpg

As part of this adapter renovation effort, the team also gave both the Rockomax Brand Adapters a well-deserved face-lift. Both parts got their UV maps optimize, brand new texture maps and a new variant to combine with the orange FL-T tank series. The geometry of the large Rockomax Brand Adapter was also updated to give it a smoother shape.

tumblr_inline_pikc5fW8lu1rr2wit_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pikc5gYYQ81rr2wit_540.jpg

Click here to see more and high-res images

The new Spark

The team also gave the iconic 48-7S “Spark” Liquid Fuel Engine a full-fledged aesthetic makeover. We wanted to enhance this engine’s versatile nature by including 3 very different variants that will also increase the customizability of your creations. The geometry was completely redone and the detail of the tubing of the engine was carefully crafted. New textures were also created for this part and a new emissive texture for the throttle animation was added.

tumblr_inline_pikc5nkioY1rr2wit_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pikc5vygN11rr2wit_540.png

Click here to see the high-res images

The Mk2 Lander Can

We also took the opportunity to give Sean’s Cannery Mk2 Lander Can a brand new face-lift. We wanted this command module to be more in-line with comparable parts, so we reduced its mass and added a second top hatch. In an attempt to broaden the creation possibilities with this part we also added a third attach node to the back of the module and included a slimmed down ‘butter stick’ variant ideal for manned rovers. The default variant, on the other hand, will have a pair of built in service bays. The IVA view of this command module is also being worked on to match with its new look.

tumblr_inline_pikc54WXh21rr2wit_540.jpg

New Features

Activate Navigation to a Launch Site

Visual enhancements aren’t the only thing that have been on our agenda. In fact, there is a quality of life feature coming to update 1.6 that will help any stray pilots find their way back to any Launch Site or Runway. From the Map View players will now be able to activate the navigation system towards the KSC, the Woomerang Launch Site, the Island Runway, Dessert Launch Site or any mobile Launch Site set by a mission creator. Activate Navigation to a Launch Site will target the chosen location and add a navigation mark in the NavBall.

via Gfycat

The Bug Hunt

Additionally, we have spent some time in the bugtracker identifying bugs that needed to be mercilessly squashed. For starters, in order to have more consistency between modes, the team made an adjustment to the SAS functionality on probes in Sandbox and Science game modes. Some of these probes had full SAS functionality in these modes, even though their description said otherwise, and these adjustments correct this. However, the SAS functionality on probes will be togglable from the game settings, with the old behavior being the default setting. The dV calculator in the burn time indicator included in update 1.5 had some bugs, and the team went straight ahead to figure out what the problems actually were, and of course fixed them. This included fixing the handling of docking ports and multiple nuclear or ion engines within the new Burn Indicator functionality. The flashing of the Burn Indicator and the display of dV before the launch of a vessel was also a problem that we fixed in the past weeks. Moreover, the Vernor Engines now use Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer correctly on the Engineering report, and we also fixed an issue that drained the fuel from tanks when the fuel availability icon was double-clicked. These are only a few examples.

KSP Enhanced Edition

In other news, we want to let console players know that  KSP Enhanced Edition is getting a substantial update that among other things includes many improvements and an update to Unity 2017, which will improve performance. We will be sharing the process with you and revealing the content of this update in the upcoming months.

A new Website is coming!

We are also working hard on giving our website a new, sleeker look. Soon, you’ll be able to see the results for yourself; we are eager to see what you think.

Meet the team

We also want to take this opportunity to introduce you to our new Lead Artist, Rafael “Stylushead” Gonzalez. You have already seen his work these past weeks, including the new Key Art, the Halloween images and many things included in update 1.5. Here are a few words from him:

I was born and raised in Mexico City. I worked in the animated movies industry for nine years, most of that time as an art director, supervising from concept art to final product, illustration is my expertise, always mixing different techniques from 2D and 3D and sometimes traditional.

I love video games and movies and everything involved in their development. Also I work from time to time in webcomics as a colorist. I joined the Kerbal team as lead artist during the KSP 1.5 release and since then I have been producing, learning and enjoying a lot!

Ghouls in Jool Halloween Challenge - The best short stories!

Even though Halloween is behind us, we want to share with all of you some of the best short stories we were delighted to receive in the Ghouls in Jool Halloween Challenge. The challenge consisted of submitting spooky short stories based in the Kerbal universe and…oh boy… did we get some chills… Unfortunately, we couldn’t fit all stories here, but if you’re in the mood to read what our fantastic community came up with, click here.

Here are what we thought were the top three stories. Enjoy!

1.- “The Heart of Jool” by Ultimate Steve

Falling.
Deeper and deeper, away from everything I have ever known.
Falling through the flashes of lighting. Will I be struck, or crushed?
Kerbin. So far away now. I am the first witness of Alien Thunder.
Will I be the last? The only? And how long until I meet death?

Gravity.
I can feel it everywhere. Jool, pulling me closer still.
The helmet creaks. The others would never hear.
The ones who died along the way - The helmetless pilot.
The crushed engineer. The scientist locked outside.

Whoosh.
And the world drew Golem Thirteen to its ultimate fate.
Noises, growing louder ever still. But always, nothing
But the menacing fog around the Heart of Jool. Until a voice,
Menacing, kind, Evil and holy, speaks out from the void above.

Hello.
No - it couldn’t be! The ancient legend was true! Have I met Evil?
Tell me, child, what do you know of me, the Deep Space Kraken?
The devourer of ships, destroyer of worlds, the embodiment of Death.
Yours truly - but have none considered a force stronger than I?
Which?
Regret.

CRACK!
Long ago I destroyed ships, devoured worlds, killed mercilessly.
My helmet gives way, great Kraken! In moments I shall meet Death!
I met Death long ago, banished by the Universe to the Heart of Jool.
And tell me, great Kraken of Deep Space, what do you mean by this?

Child,
With power comes destruction. At the top I ruled dust.
I fell. From everything, wishing I could go back to mend it.
Wishing the dust would absolve my crimes. In you I see me.
And unlike me, I can save you.

Pop.
The visor gave way to the intense aether, crushing instantly.
The last I would see, before my final toxic breath, would be
The haunting yet noble face of the Kraken of Deep Space
Against the backdrop of the cruel, unrelenting Heart of Jool.

HOLD!
T Minus Five. The launch pad. But how? The crew, all still alive.
Golem Thirteen would stay on the ground. And then was a sound.
Indeed, it was The Kraken of Deep Space. Gone in a blink, he said
Goodbye and nothing more, with a smile that shook me to the core.

But I am now certain I will remember that great regretful ghoul.
The one who saved me from the void in the Heart of Jool.

2.- “Clank” by Blasty McBlastblast

Clank!

Startled, research forgotten, the two scientists looked up. They had both definitely heard it this time. This time it was undeniable.

“Okay, maybe you weren’t dreaming earlier” apologised Jedfen, but neither of them seemed pleased by this prospect.

Jedfen and Hencott were familiar with all the regular noises of Outpost V., but this noise was not one of them. They knew the steady whirring of the solar arrays as they tracked the sun, the hum-thud of antennae realigning, and the wet slap of sloshing fuel. Clanking was something new, and it was coming from outside!

Clank!

The two locked eyes, panic growing at the realisation they were not alone. Something was knocking against the outside of their laboratory!

“Should we call mission control?” suggested Hencott

“We can’t” replied Jedfen, wondering if Hencott’s stupidity might be higher than indicated, “Did you forget that it’s night here for two more days? We need to be facing sunward to get a signal to Kerbin”

“Maybe the supply ship came back?” Hencott proposed weakly, but that ship had launched weeks ago, the kerbonauts were alone.

Clank!

“WE HAVE TO STAY CALM!!” shrieked Jedfen, momentarily losing his cool “What would Jeb do?”

“We need more information” said Hencott, taking deep breaths, “We need to know what is making the noise, one of us will have to go outside…”

Silently both Kerbals stood to face each other, and proceeded to play rock-paper-scissors…

Clank!

“That noise came from near the north window” Jedfen said into the handheld radio.

“Copy. Approaching now. I think I see someth…” but the staticky reply was cut short by a yelp! Then laughter! Then ominous silence…

Minutes passed, but the radio only hissed. Amidst rising dread Jedfen moved to the suit rack, compelled to go help, but he was too late! The airlock began to cycle, something was coming in! Armed with a jumbo-sized snack bar Jedfen prepared himself to defend the outpost.

Through dramatic billowing gasses Jedfen saw him step from the airlock, grinning, and holding something that was attempting to wriggle free. Looking closer, he saw cradled firmly in Hencott’s arms an adorable tiny rover!

“Where did that come from?!” he asked, tension dissolving into curiosity.

“Some earlier mission?” laughed Hencott, “I think it was trying to charge power by the window light! Can we keep it?”

“Control can’t say no if they can’t contact us!”

3.- “Fright Night at KSC” by StrandedonEarth

Every year during the three hundred and thirty-third night, mysterious things start to happen at the KSC. None of the KSC staff want to stay that night, as weird noises abound around the Center. The only exception is Mortimer Kerman, who gleefully volunteers to be the caretaker for that night, from his usual haunt in the Admin building. In the deserted Astronaut Complex, ghostly footsteps and flushing toilets are heard. The great radio dishes of the Tracking Station creak and squeal as they turn,  but only during that night. Pale apparitions are seen streaking down the runway, rising briefly before vanishing below the waves, while the big display screens at Mission Control fill with static.  Even though the VAB is shut down for that night, the cranes and other machinery start moving with nobody at the controls. Fire and smoke bloom on and around the empty launch pad as a muted roar is heard, and hundreds of tiny glowing krakens scurry around the Research and Development center. A steady tap-tap-tapping punctuated with whirring fills the Spaceplane Hangar, without a soul in sight. They call it “Sotreum ed Aid”

When day finally breaks on that seemingly endless night, everything grows quiet again, and Mortimer starts to look sad. The tiny glowing kraken all vanish without a trace. But when the brave kerbonauts start arriving at the Astronaut Complex, they are shocked to find all the kerbals that had been KIA during the last four hundred days sitting around, drinking koffee…

Honorable mentions:Eyes in the deep” by Joshua Stubbles, “A few KSP super-short stories that are guaranteed to make grown kerbals hide under their beds and cry for mommy” by Swjr-swis, “Untitled” by KSK, and “Untitled” by qzgy.

Finally we want to remind you that you can share and download missions on Curse, KerbalX, the KSP Forum and the KSP Steam Workshop.

That’s it for this edition. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!

Happy launchings!

Really cool. New lander Cabin looks way better than the initial redesign

38 minutes ago, SQUAD said:
We are looking into the possibility of giving the ADTP-2-3 Adapter fuel carrying capabilities as it has been suggested by the community.  

Am I reading this right. 
FUEL FOR THE  2.5 to 3.75 ADAPTER: YUSS

Hi! Time for another assembly of thoughts:
First:

9RgWxXo.png

This is a crude mockup, as most of mine will be, but the rockomax brand adapter 02 had all those ridges to help break up a very simple texture and add detail where there was none. Now that the revamp is giving it detail, the ridges might be a bit excessive. I kinda used clone stamp to thanos-snap half of them out of existence. I think cutting half of them out would preserve the spirit of the part while also bringing it up to new standards.

Second:

Would there be a way to add the external greebles back to the conical Rockomax Brand Adapter? Or at least, do something with the part's texture and normals to allude to them? I feel like omitting them, or any symbolic representation of them, falls away from "preserving the spirit of the part" like these other adapters have.

Third:

Can all of these adapters have plane white for structural or aircraft use? The black stripe is nice and all, but solid white is always a good option to bring to the table. 
Maybe even, for the flat ones, a grey variant for backwards compatibility to make sure my ships don't look radically different once 1.6 drops. a classical texture variant for the flat adapters (i always called 'em pizza plates, the rockomax adapter 02 and fl-a5) would be a nice offering!

Fourth: 

I'm really glad the lander-can got shored up, those windows look a lot nicer now! You guys even rounded the corners! Going with the addition of a node to the back, would nodes on the sides be considered? They could be used for rover things in the butter stick variant, or used to node attach things within the service bays on the full side.

Edited by Lupi

Overall pretty good, though I have some issues.

1. The detail on the Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3 Adapter, FL-A5, FL-A10 and Rockomax Brand Adapter 02 is too much. They look very out of place with the other parts. Especially the Rockomax Brand Adapter 02 has way too many ridges.

2. I think each adapter could do with a plain white texture (as well as every fuel part btw) and the flat adapters should get a grey/metal variant.

3. I appreciate all the work that's been put in, but I still think that the adapters should have gotten new models. Just retexturing can only improve them so much.

I cannot wait for the update and I hope that you guys take in some of this feedback, just like you guys did by improving the Lander Can.

Edited by T1mo98

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

overall improvements to performance and bug fixes. 

Are there any performance improvements Squad is looking to include in the 1.6 update, or areas which are being investigated due to things like features in Unity 2017 which the prior Unity versions didn't support etc?

4 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We also did an adjustement to the MK2 Lander Can. This is how it looked last time you saw it:

While not the kind of change I was hoping for:

• It's a step in the right direction. I'm not tremendously thrilled by it but this would be a design I could use without hating myself for it.
  • More important: feedback from the community is acted upon. That means a lot to me, personally.

I'm really glad to see that ideas from the community are making their way into the part design. There are some real improvements here.

I still think the two flat structural adaptors - FL-A5 and the Rockomax 02 - should have a barebones aluminum color option. These aren't aerodynamically shaped adapters that would be used in a rocket stack. They're structural elements and they don't need to be painted to match the stack tanks. In most cases they'll be in a fairing...

Please please give us a boring grey aluminum option. The bright white and the orange options will look garish on a lander or as an antenna mount or an engine mount.

4 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We also did an adjustement to the MK2 Lander Can. This is how it looked last time you saw it:

I wasn't really one that complained of this design you showed a few weeks ago.

But comparing this design the the new one you just showed, the new design is much much better.

I'm really happy that you guys listen to the community though we all really appreciate it!

+1 for the MK2 Lander Can revisions!  All the design upgrades, and optional side storage helps justify the old mass value. (I'm under the impression it may be getting lighter? If so, I don't think it needs it, considering the additional utility.)

48 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I still think the two flat structural adaptors - FL-A5 and the Rockomax 02 - should have a barebones aluminum color option. These aren't aerodynamically shaped adapters that would be used in a rocket stack. They're structural elements and they don't need to be painted to match the stack tanks. In most cases they'll be in a fairing...

I've used them to help contain the height of some designs, so ... not always in a fairing ;)   Agree with everything else, tho. The structural ribs are important to preserve in any revision, tho some of the contrasting paint choices cause the ribs to call too much attention to themselves, I wish for a one-color white/orange/aluminum set of options like some others have asked. I might wish for an aerodynamic / smooth design option as well, (would be thicker once the ribs were sandwiched beneath a top sheet of aluminum) but that may be too much to ask in this go-around ;)  

Also

5 hours ago, Lupi said:

Would there be a way to add the external greebles back to the conical Rockomax Brand Adapter? Or at least, do something with the part's texture and normals to allude to them? 

yes please. This part is also a structural adapter, but one that covers up all the internal ribbing it must have, agree I'd like to see some hints of that in the texture. This part is a "smooth / aerodynamic variant" in contrast to the FL-A5 etc, which don't have one. (yet?)

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said so far :)

I think the solution to the controversial paint job on the flat adapters is to just paint the spokes instead of leaving only them unpainted. I wouldn't mind an unpainted grey version too, but I can live without it :)

Last but not least, a warm welcome to Rafael! 

Edited by Deddly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.