KSP Loading... Our New Dev Diary!

SQUAD

1 hour ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

No need to yell. 

Maybe they actually slightly adjusted it. Don't think it would be such an obvious change when viewing the part alone.

There is very much a need to yell I've been bringing this up ever since they botched the mk1-3 pod by recycling the mk1-2's mesh(top node isn't 1.25m) yet they keep recycling these old flawed meshes with reckless abandon and all for parts so simple they could be remodeled in 15 minutes (how can you be allergic to modeling a cone)

And no it's not "simply adjusted" if it was they would have acknowledged the problem and proved that they fixed it with a screen cap. The original preview showed a side by side with the old part the measurements are exactly the same. It's the same mesh. It's not 2.5m. Stop recycling meshes.

Edited by passinglurker

I have just a few things to say. 1. @SQUAD is needlessly adding greeblies to parts that honestly do not need them. Specifically the RBA 02 and the FL-A5 adapter. Usually they are on stations and this rather excessive greebling is a step in a wrong direction. Point 1 is entirely my personal opinion only. 2. More of a question really: Why go from calling update threads such as this thread one thing then at some random (as appears to me) time and make a new thread that does essentially the same thing and call it something else? Seems redundant to me. Just curious. I openly admit I could have missed the announcement as to why. op 03:14:30

2 hours ago, passinglurker said:

Not if you recycle the old mesh it won't it's not 2.5m up top!

You can tell that just from a screenshot? I would never have noticed that myself without actually seeing the point of connection between two parts. 

All the part revamps are looking nice! The revised Mk2 Lander Can revamp looks amazing...those windows are nice and chunky-looking now and certainly capable of holding pressure!

While I echo others' requests for a plain metal variant on the flat adapters, I can live with the painted versions. The tall Rockomax brand adapter is especially nice!

Great job @SQUAD!

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

You can tell that just from a screenshot? I would never have noticed that myself without actually seeing the point of connection between two parts. 

tumblr_inline_phw325s6lz1rr2wit_540.jpg

First by the simple fact that they are reusing the old mesh and this flaw existed in the old mesh.

Second I measured the pixels across in this picture they came out the same.

Third if I am so terribly wrong wouldn't squad acknowledge the issue and take the opportunity to prove otherwise?

Forth we've had these conversations before don't act like the earlier previews didn't happen rehashing old lines.

3 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Why go from calling update threads such as this thread one thing then at some random (as appears to me) time and make a new thread that does essentially the same thing and call it something else?

I can't say why they made the change (though I suspect it was a lot of work for little payout) but I can say why they stopped calling their updates "Weekly" :)

I like the one-two approach of having large (status) updates that come out infrequently coupled with tiny (status) updates that show off a single thing, and making them not tied to a timeline just means that they don't have to hold back when they have something or force out something when they don't really have anything to say.

Regarding the update, I missed all the previous "Loading..." posts (didn't even know they were being posted) so this was all new to me. I love the new lander can. I'm looking forward to actually using it for something for the first time since like 0.25

Also, this looks like a Thargoid ship.

tumblr_inline_pikc4umaqR1rr2wit_540.jpg

20 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We are looking into the possibility of giving the ADTP-2-3 Adapter fuel carrying capabilities as it has been suggested by the community.

I'm looking into the possibility of responding positively to this improvement. :wink:

both the FL-A5 and the FL-A10 Adapters got a well-deserved makeover.

Now that you've also done the bigger rockomax ones: can you put them side by side to see what I (several of us) meant with these tiny adapters being too... busy? Especially the FL-A10. There's just too much going there. What is the rationale behind them being sub-paneled so much? They look almost scaley.

I mean, the texture work is definitely crisper than what was before, so I'll take it if that's what we're getting, but it's going to look strange and out of place in the revamped set (*). It's your show.

the team also gave both the Rockomax Brand Adapters a well-deserved face-lift.

I figured you wouldn't leave those out so conspicuously, but it's good to see it confirmed. They look clean and crisp to me and the consistency between the stock part set will make a big jump forward with this (*).

I do agree with the call for bare metal variants for the two sizes of 'flat' adapters. It did make for a certain appearance of constructs which will be lost if we now go to painted only. Is there any way that you could add a variant that combines the new endcap textures with the old bare metal surface? Or a new texture with that appearance. I know... never satisfied, right? Pretty please?

The team also gave the iconic 48-7S “Spark” Liquid Fuel Engine a full-fledged aesthetic makeover

No additional comment on the revamp; looks to be what was posted before. Any news on the request to rotate the part 90 degrees, so mirror symmetry can look ok?

We also took the opportunity to give Sean’s Cannery Mk2 Lander Can a brand new face-lift.

Still looks like the downward view might be an issue (it's a lander, after all), but I'll have to see the IVA view to judge that. The window looks much more robust now though; thanks.

No word on rotating the butter stick variant up 90 degrees so SAS/control orientation works correctly?

the team made an adjustment to the SAS functionality on probes in Sandbox and Science game modes.

You posted this under 'Bug Hunt'. For a tiny moment there the hope flared up that you guys finally got around to fixing the exasperating self-amplifying SAS oscillations that seem intent on killing planes when switching from SAS Hold to any of the other modes. Any chance of you guys taking a peek at that? It didn't exist until a few versions ago.

As for what you actually mean here: sounds fair, although I don't remember encountering this problem. Admittedly I've hardly touched science mode anymore since it became a thing, and I fully switched to using career mode as sandbox several versions ago so my sandbox actually has all the options open to me, including all the facilities and their functions. So that may be why I haven't seen this issue.

These are only a few examples.

Looking forward to the release notes. Please consider looking into the murderous SAS? It's the single most annoying bug that I still fight with almost every single flight (in 1.3.1; but the release notes up to 1.5.1 don't mention any fix to this).

our new Lead Artist, Rafael “Stylushead” Gonzalez.

Welcome to the play pen. Blocks and balls are in the corner, don't eat the sand, and mind your snacks - them kerbals are a sneaky bunch.

Honorable mentions: (...) Swjr-swis

It was a joke, not an entry... but thanks for the mention! Now, can we talk about capitalization...? :D

Edited by swjr-swis
butter stick control; degreees

2 hours ago, passinglurker said:

tumblr_inline_phw325s6lz1rr2wit_540.jpg

First by the simple fact that they are reusing the old mesh and this flaw existed in the old mesh.

Second I measured the pixels across in this picture they came out the same.

Third if I am so terribly wrong wouldn't squad acknowledge the issue and take the opportunity to prove otherwise?

Forth we've had these conversations before don't act like the earlier previews didn't happen rehashing old lines.

Nice detective work there. I wouldn't have thought of counting pixels. But no, I don't recall having this particular conversation with you. 

Its so nice to see a game you love is still alive and kicking!

All this effort, the important and useful part updates(the so much missing good rover pods).

Last but not least pls continue listening to the community experts(Yes they are experts, they spot and say some crazy stuff that always amaze me)

and this will just be a perfect way for the next dlc to sell good!(Hopefullly cause hey, money is the key).

Edited by Boyster

7 hours ago, passinglurker said:

There is very much a need to yell I've been bringing this up ever since they botched the mk1-3 pod by recycling the mk1-2's mesh(top node isn't 1.25m) yet they keep recycling these old flawed meshes with reckless abandon and all for parts so simple they could be remodeled in 15 minutes (how can you be allergic to modeling a cone)

Listen though, you are one fan among many thousands who play the game giving feedback. You are not the owner of Squad. You are a tiny data point in a sea of other feedback and there is no reason they need to listen to you above all of the other players. You may think that long, giant-font rants makes it so but it is not. I don't know your background but in the professional world concise, friendly feedback is much more likely to get a fair hearing than all caps rants. You may even have fair points but they are impossible to discern or acknowledge through your antagonistic tone. We hear you, just scale it back a little bit and be patient. You may even have to accept that with so many other players each with their own hopes and wishes and priorities and a huge number of internal logistical challenges for Squad we know nothing about your feedback may get passed over. It is still just a game about little green men, after all. 

9 hours ago, passinglurker said:

Not if you recycle the old mesh it won't it's not 2.5m up top!

It has a new mesh now and we made sure the end caps are 2.5 m on top and 3.75 on bottom, the grid is gone and there are new diffuse, spec, normals as well as new variants, just the image didn't make it to the post, but trust me it has changed a lot.

HOLY excrements THIS IS GREAT NEWS SQUAD!

Mk2 Lander Can looks so much better! And we're having a good shot at getting fueled adapter! And even the structural parts, one of the most overlooked ones, are getting an upgrade! And the Spark looks sick.

What a time to be alive.Nice to know that you are keeping the probes having all SAS functionality as an difficulty option rather than completely removing it - that would totally break my Tiny Ion Tug, who has a OKTO2 and needs to dock all the time.

Once this comes out, I'm totally upgrading.

Congrats new head artist! I hope this pays well :D

Also, how much mass will be removed from the Mk2 Lander Can?? I'm hoping for about a ton or so mass being removed.

Edited by Xurkitree

1 hour ago, StylusHead said:

It has a new mesh now and we made sure the end caps are 2.5 m on top and 3.75 on bottom, the grid is gone and there are new diffuse, spec, normals as well as new variants, just the image didn't make it to the post, but trust me it has changed a lot.

If you've gotten a ton of feedback / criticism over a proposed piece of work and you've made a bunch of improvements, please take the time to make some new screen shots for this new article...

Why would you want to rehash the same arguments in yet another thread and run the risk of @passinglurker having a coronary when you could have just posted a new pic?  :D

(No disrespect to passinglurker, I agree with you, but couldn't pass up the joke)

Edited by Tyko

47 minutes ago, StylusHead said:

Great! That was one of the most annoying things about the old part...good to see it fixed :D

All the new stuff looks pretty good, and thanks for thinking about fuelling the S2-3 adapter. I hope the Butterstick rover cabin gets the “control from” orientation it needs to work right. My only gripe is that the emissive texture on the Spark just doesn’t look right, with the “hottest”-looking area being at the end of the nozzle instead of near the throat. 

And thanks for picking Fright Night, it was fun thinking up the various Kerbal ways to haunt the KSC!

2 hours ago, StylusHead said:

Thank you! Also I like the fix on the lander can it looks much sturdier now (didn't say that earlier cause I didn't want to muddy up the adapter issue) :D

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

(No disrespect to passinglurker, I agree with you, but couldn't pass up the joke)

hey man feel free I accept being the butt of a few jokes as the small price I pay for not being oppressively positive and anxious about everything I say. :wink:

Edited by passinglurker

Its obvious that public feedback has steered some design decisions and that's a brilliant thing.

I have made lengthy critiques on SQUAD previews in the past but I do not currently feel as though I wish to continue to make this critique public... if a SQUAD artist ever wants a second opinion feel free to contact me; I'm always open to discourse.

Otherwise, good luck with development! I hope the Lion's Den is not too vicious.

Edited by Poodmund

2 hours ago, StylusHead said:

I bet you have the best rep/posts ratio on the forum now

Edited by sh1pman

4 hours ago, StylusHead said:

there are new diffuse, spec, normals as well as new variants, just the image didn't make it to the post, but trust me it has changed a lot.

Is your new asset pipeline being made with an eye to PBR/PBS in the future?

Take advantage of the Unity standard shader, get reflections etc etc, or does this still not really play nice with KSP's unique camera setup?

Everyone here hereby agree to suggest aircraft parts revamp? I'm one of them. Notably, at least, the J-90 Goliath spinnermark variations. Remember my post?

Seemingly the aircraft parts is a veeeeeery long way after the last revamp, may I suggest a revamp on the J-90 Goliath engine, notably the spinnermark variations, alongside the "Spark" rocket engine revamp?

Aircraft+Jet+Engine+Spinner+-+Aircraft+N

Notable patterns on jet engine spinners. The J-90 Goliath High-Bypass Turbofan features one of these, take a look at the centre of the intake fan.

Seems boring with only the 'Spiral' spinnermarks.

Captain Joe's video telling about spinnermarks.

One more thing, more varieties on jet engines of various types (I mean, more engines for every part, e.g High-Bypass Turbofans are the J-33, J-90, J-XX, J-XX, J-XX, J-XX (Yes, I mean add 4 more of these), those includes 1.875m diameter ones, 5m is WAAAAYY too overwhelming for a jet engine), more aircraft fuselage form factors (And cockpits and parts) (Add 5m fuselages, 2.5m, 3.75m as the addition to Mk1 (1.25m), Mk2 & Mk3) and Big-S Wing Connectors (Basically standard wing connectors & structural wings in form of Big-S, tanked wings, larger doesn't matter, players are building bigger nowadays).

@UomoCapra, just asking your thoughts. Do you agree for adding aircraft parts revamp as a part of 1.6?

On 11/23/2018 at 1:26 AM, Boyster said:

My personal opinion is that an aircraft themed dlc would be better than just few revamps.It would be awesome to expand more in that part of the game :D.

I signed up for Kebal SPACE Program. I think the aerodynamics are simplistic and hate dealing with airplanes in this game. And, I have 30 years experience dealing with sim code for certified simulators for actual aircraft.

Edited by Tonka Crash

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.