Engines you wish were added.

You ever thought, 'I wish that some new engines were added in KSP?' and then end up getting an idea or thinking of something from a mod that should be stock?

I have, so I made a thread so that we can discuss on this. I really want some new parts to play with (and no DLC is a problem for some so we aren't considering that)

So what engines you wish were added to the game?

I honestly want a Stock Propeller Engine (inventive, ikr) and a lower efficiency, higher thrust Ion Engine. 

I would also like some new chemical engines to play around with, maybe some adapted for use in higher pressures?

Tell me your ideas and wishes below!

I feel like Porkjet's LV-T15 and LV-303 engines. They complete the 1.25m engine lineup nicely.

Image result for porkjet lv-t15

For now, you can get them and the other revamped engines in Missing History, but I'd like to see them in the stock game.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 hour ago, Xurkitree said:

So what engines you wish were added to the game?

I honestly want a Stock Propeller Engine (inventive, ikr) and a lower efficiency, higher thrust Ion Engine. 

I would also like some new chemical engines to play around with, maybe some adapted for use in higher pressures?

Tell me your ideas and wishes below!

Near Future Propulsion has a broad selection of "near future" engines - just like the name says :D   They include a variety of ion engines with different balances of thrust vs efficiency/power consumption

Near Future Electrical gives you ways to power those engines

Near Future Launch Vehicles offers some more powerful conventional engines based on some of the designs out there now.

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Near Future Propulsion has a broad selection of "near future" engines - just like the name says :D   They include a variety of ion engines with different balances of thrust vs efficiency/power consumption

Near Future Electrical gives you ways to power those engines

Near Future Launch Vehicles offers some more powerful conventional engines based on some of the designs out there now.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Near Future Tech - which was my primary reason for a better laptop so I can play around with these. Those models and engines look so goddamn great! I have the entirety of Near Future Tech, but still, sometimes you just want see what Squad can do? Atleast I would like to see some good ideas come out of this.

Edited by Xurkitree

On 11/22/2018 at 4:27 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

I feel like Porkjet's LV-T15 and LV-303 engines. They complete the 1.25m engine lineup nicely.

For now, you can get them and the other revamped engines in Missing History, but I'd like to see them in the stock game.

Yep 100% agree there. Even if they used new models and textures rather than Porkjets, they would still both fill really important roles.

LV-T15 would be perfect for clustering on 1.875m rockets, which would be great for Falcon 9 replicas. Meanwhile the LV-303 would be a nice second stage for 1.25m rockets as the current Terrier engine is stupidly overpowered for it.

Also who is the downvote fairy on the suggestions forum? Every post I see on here is always at 1 star.

Edited by Frozen_Heart

Atomic turbine engines as I just described in another threat, but I'd also like propfan engines to be added to the game. Propfans are actually the most efficient power plants for petrochemical powered aircraft. They're basically a turbofan engine without the heavy cowl around the engine. They're not as fast as turbofans, but they're massively more efficient and look absolutely evil. They also have a problem preventing their adaptation in the real world, but making them perfect for KSP: They're loud. Propfans are ridiculously, apocalyptically loud because the tips of the props are spinning just under the speed of sound. In fact the only aircraft engine that has ever been louder than a propfan is the supersonic propeller on the XF-84H Thunderscreech prototype fighter, WHICH SHOULD ALSO BE ADDED TO THE GAME.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propfan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H_Thunderscreech

Meh, the engines we have are already really really efficient... about double what they should be if running on standard hydrocarbon jet fuel (the rapier is about where it should be, if we assume that liquid fuel is liquid hydrogen, and not some hydrocarbon like kerosene). I don't think propfans are needed for gameplay (just looks).

I could get behind nuclear motors.

Electric fans

Mono-propellant powered fans/propellers

Air augmented rockets/ramrockets/turborockets

Nuclear thermal turbines

• 1 month later...

I'm all for props as well. I think it is the biggest gap, not just for planes but also for Duna probes. There should be both piston and turbo-prop options.  Perhaps the first engine on the tech tree could be a Kerbalized variant of the rotary that was on the Sopwith Camel--complete with torque issues :-)

I like the way Firespitter does it with the size and blade # configurable in the SPH.  I'd also like to see a counter-rotating prop option so we could make things like these:

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to my desire for electric ducted fans/props for worlds without atmospheres, plus better stock subs:

2.5m rapier and whiplash equivalents... help us reduce part-count on large cargo SSTOs!

1.25m ion engines (we already have a 1.25m xenon tank), perhaps a VASMIR type engine that can double TWR and half Isp. Due to stock dV requirements, I wouldn't go higher than 4200 Isp.

2.5m LV-N equivalent, or a LANTR engine (see the atomic age mod)

Of course... for all of this... there are mods, I know.

I like my designs to be stock so they are comparable to others on the forum

15 minutes ago, Fraktal said:

A version of the LV-N that has different (better/worse) efficiency, but uses monoprop as fuel.

I don't know if that's a great idea. The drawbacks of the current NERV are 1) there aren't enough liquid fuel-only tanks to build a decent rocket and removing the oxidizer from ordinary LFO tanks makes them mass-inefficient, and 2) nuclear thermal engines IRL run on liquid hydrogen which is not as dense as liquid fuel. Monopropellant in KSP is more expensive than liquid hydrogen would be, and there aren't a great assortment of monopropellant tanks anyway so that wouldn't solve issue #1.

But if you want to try it yourself, just duplicate the GameData\Squad\Parts\Engine\liquidEngineLV-N\liquidEngineLV-N.cfg file, change its name in the file (such as, name = nuclearEngineHydrogen), change the title (such as title = LV-N mkII "Nerv" Hydrogen Atomic Rocket Motor), and under the ModuleEngines { PROPELLANT } section change the propellant type to name = MonoPropellant .

A more realistic solution would involve using B9PartSwitch and CommunityResourcePack to add LqdHydrogen configurations of the stock fuel tanks then changing your nuclear engines to run on that instead. Then you'd have dedicated nuclear engine fuel tanks with fuel of a realistic density. (I'd wager a dollar somebody already made this mod.)  I took this solution halfway and modded my LFO tanks to include LF-only options and kept the Nerv running on liquid fuel.

Regarding the OP question, I would like to see more nuclear engines. The Nerv might actually be under-powered for its weight and under-efficient compared to real-life designs. Also, I use the boosters from SpaceY Lifter Pack extensively, and I think the stock game could benefit from some of those designs.

Love to see "hypergolic" added as a fuel type for engines -

Engines could have VAC ISPs around 290-310 - better than monoprop, but not as good as LFO engines.

Engines would be lighter than LFO, but not as light as monoprop.

Fuel would be more dense than LFO so you could make small space probes with more compact tanks without relying on the cheaty Oscar-B tanks. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.