Chrysler Victory Air Raid Siren Replica

FahmiRBLX

You guys know me as a siren enthusiast, and a user who puts sirens as a subject in Forum Games entry. This is the siren I've 'abused' this long.

Meet,

Chrysler-Bell Victory

Development of this siren started some time after World War 2 until the end of Cold War. This siren is the largest and loudest, for now known to hold the record in the United States. This siren was originally developed by ED Bullard.

920x920.jpg

A man posing while taking a picture with an ED Bullard Piston Siren, holding the transmition lever, showing how the siren will be operated.

ED Bullard was known (Among us, siren enthusiasts) for building sirens with Trapezoidal Chopper & Stator (The part between Motor / Engine & Horn. The Chopper spins inside the stator, how it works? It's a long explanation.). Unfortunately, the required sound output for Civil Defense sirens at that time is at least 125dB at 100ft, while this one produces 121dB at the same range.

5HW68-1.JPG

A Big Bertha on a flatbed of a truck.

Bell developed their own version, at first, known as the Big Bertha.

1075930hemipowe_00000058211.jpg

The first generation of the Chrysler Victory.

hqdefault.jpg

I bet you guys remember this picture of five peoples standing on a giant siren.

The development was passed on Chrysler, an automobile manufacturer, with help from Bell, an audio engineering company, to make a louder version, hence, the above siren, known as the Chrysler-Bell Victory. This unit produces 137dB, 1dB short of the 2nd Generation (138dB) albeit the longer horn, and refers to the first generation, which requires an operator to run the siren, who sits on a tractor-style seat 'accelerating' and letting the siren coasts down to create a wailing sound. Can you guys imagine sitting on this siren, pedalling to the metal then letting it go, rinse and repeat during an air raid, many times? It's a tiring and scary experience (Only applies for actual warning).

130809890.jpg?itok=PfbgraRe

A second-generation Chrysler Victory. Note the two men in Civil Defense outfit observing the sky for any bombers or attackers.

Chrysler then continued developing the siren to feature a remote-controlled system, which in other words, a system to control the siren just like any other electric sirens of that time; a controller that sens signal to the siren which alternates the motor / engine power to create a wailing sound (That if "Attack" signal is activated, for "Alert" signal which is a steady tone; motor / engine running at full power, in case of mechanical sirens (In other words, old sirens) while electronic sirens (in other words, siren speaker array / newer sirens) run at peak pitch).

This siren can also be activated in-situ, via its control panel at the side of the engine housing.

Ingame Replica Pictures

Second Generation

1yz2eqC.png

First Generation

ze3rmg1.png

How Mechanical Sirens Work

Spoiler

AniSiren.gif

1. Air is sucked into the chopper cylinder (Inner, spinning cylinder. American sirens spin at 3450 RPM, while its British counterpart spins around 2400~ RPM.

2. Air is pushed into the holes of the chopper cylinder, periodically opened & shut as it spins. Air comes out when the holes in the chopper alligned with the stator (Outer, stationary cylinder. Air coming out the stator holes are marked in Red.

Courtsey Ringbell.co.uk

Download Link

Second Generation Victory

First Generation Victory

Oncoming Updates

• Recompiling for 1.5.1

Sources

AirRaidSirens.net Forums, the premiere and professional discussion forum with loads of information on Outdoor Warning Sirens and other warning devices.

Ringbell.co.uk, on how mechanical sirens work.

Autoweek.com, some additional goodies on this siren.

VirctorySiren.org, more information on the Chrysler's air raid siren.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian
Tidying up.

It's too bad there's so little interest in this niche.  I appreciate your dedication to an unpopular subject.

If you're interested in a collaboration we could install a barrel that spins in stock.  We could stick it on a pole and spin it 360.  'Make a radiator cooling fan that spins too.  All sorts of neat stuff.

I'll try send a picture of my 6/12v mechanical siren.  It's stashed back in the garage somewhere.

I actually have more siren replicas in storage, I'll upload them & update the OP soon (Since I'm on Mobile, I'll get to my laptop).

Regarding on mounting the Victory on a pole, according to judging by its weight and the fact it's as heavy as a car, it's more suitable to be mounted on a large truss, tower or roof, just like the Cerro Negro Lookout unit.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

It's got those rectangle slots like you talked about.

9khIa4W.jpg

Rumor is it's off a firetruck.  Probably 25lbs.  Heavy rotor, so the come-down takes forever.  No ground wire- grounds through frame.

Edited by klond

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 1:25 AM, Azimech said:

You might like my little mod.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1081/Sirens

Hmm... My requirements :

• Configurable / swappable sound files
  • Compatibility up to 1.5.1.

Anyways, I'll try that out, I'll see whether that'll work.

Spoiler

I also planned on working on my own sirens mod, which focuses on outdoor warning sirens, not vehicular ones (But vehicular sirens will be available as either my own separate pack or a collab with you).

3 hours ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Hmm... My requirements :

• Configurable / swappable sound files
  • Compatibility up to 1.5.1.

Anyways, I'll try that out, I'll see whether that'll work.

Hide contents

I also planned on working on my own sirens mod, which focuses on outdoor warning sirens, not vehicular ones (But vehicular sirens will be available as either my own separate pack or a collab with you).

If you have some sound files, I'll be glad to add them. The sirens themselves can be placed on any craft, changing pitch is done by changing thrust. The mod should be compatible with the most recent versions because I made it through part file edits and a legacy module. No custom models were used but this might change.

Interesting stuff!

Just a slight nitpick:

On 11/24/2018 at 1:30 AM, FahmiRBLXian said:

Note the two men in Civil Defense outfit observing the sky for any bombers or missiles.

"Bombers or attackers" would be more suitable here as missiles weren't around. Closest thing was flying bombs like the V1.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:17 PM, V7 Aerospace said:

Interesting stuff!

Just a slight nitpick:

"Bombers or attackers" would be more suitable here as missiles weren't around. Closest thing was flying bombs like the V1.

Oh, I thought Ballistic Missiles were around during that time.

3 hours ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Oh, I thought Ballistic Missiles were around during that time.

I mean even if they were, ground based observers wouldn't really be able to give much warning as it's very hard to spot them and they move so quickly. That's the job of radar, which in the 1940s was still being improved upon.

• 2 months later...

Anyways, I got more siren replicas in storage, might upload them in another thread.

Replicas include :

• ACA Allertor 125
  • ACA Penetrator P-50
  • Federal Signal EOWS-612 (Now on KerbalX)
  • Federal Signal EOWS-812 (Now on KerbalX)
  • HOR Super Si-Rex (Dual Head variant)
  • 1940s Castle Castings Air Raid Siren

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

• 4 weeks later...

[SNIP]

On 12/14/2018 at 9:17 PM, V7 Aerospace said:

Interesting stuff!

Just a slight nitpick:

On 12/19/2018 at 2:28 AM, lapis said:

the closest was the v2

This siren served during Cold War, so early ballistic missiles (Titan, Titan II, Mercury, R7 Semyorka, etc.)

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.