General modding tips?

I have a few question about modding since in KSP it's not that easy especially when you need to install some textures - it often asks you to install ~5 mods for it to work then one of those mods asks you to install even more stuff half of which is outdated and not even updating anymore. So...

1. Is there any "the best" game version for modding? I've started on 1.5.1 and then discovered that a lot of mods either not working since their old version or become glitchy like it did my RSS after an hour of finding a working one - all planet orbits were inclined, equally but still.

2. Is there any way to avoid those 10-15 mod installations basically only for one texture pack? Seems like CKAN not even installing the outdated ones at the same time some of the requested ones might be missing in there.

3. Is installing mods on fresh KSP actually do something?

4. Can i somehow check if the game even recognized the mod if for example after installing the textures i don't see much difference?

5. Any difference running it from CKAN launch or shortcut\etc?

40 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

1. Older versions = more mods. Newer versions = mods with more features and bug fixes. Your choice

4. Look into the log. See if the game loads the mods. Or use the alt f12 menu to check.

5. No.

Well it's obvious that older versions have more mods, i'm mostly asking about the trade off when it's not a beta build but already have enough mods. With my fresh 1.5.1 its really hard to find something entirely compatible.

Edited by Actually_New_KSP_Player

1 hour ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

I have a few question about modding since in KSP it's not that easy especially when you need to install some textures - it often asks you to install ~5 mods for it to work then one of those mods asks you to install even more stuff half of which is outdated and not even updating anymore. So...

KSP by itself doesn't support custom textures; you need to install a mod to use them, usually EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements.

become glitchy like it did my RSS after an hour of finding a working one - all planet orbits were inclined, equally but still.

That's not a glitch, the RSS team did that on purpose to simulate some of the challenges of axial tilt.

2. Is there any way to avoid those 10-15 mod installations basically only for one texture pack?

Possibly. Try naming them and someone might be able to help you.

Yes.

13 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That's not a glitch, the RSS team did that on purpose to simulate some of the challenges of axial tilt. 

Then the blinking orbits while i'm moving my camera in  global map gotta be a glitch lol.

13 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Yes.

Any info about what exactly it does? I personally never noticed a difference not just in ksp, but in games in general.

15 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

KSP by itself doesn't support custom textures; you need to install a mod to use them, usually EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements.

I thought that EVE is a standalone-like texture pack, but when i installed it the graphics didn't changed and weird menu didn't make much sense for me either, huh.

9 minutes ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

Any info about what exactly it does? I personally never noticed a difference not just in ksp, but in games in general.

You installed a mod with a name and a specific description about what it does. You didn't tell anyone which one that is, what it should do or what you expect it to do. What kind of answer do you expect?

2 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

You installed a mod with a name and a specific description about what it does. You didn't tell anyone which one that is, what it should do or what you expect it to do. What kind of answer do you expect?

I am expecting an answer that explains why installing anything on a fresh ksp install matters.

Edited by Actually_New_KSP_Player

1 minute ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

I am expecting an answer that explains why installing anything on a fresh ksp install matters.

Why would you expect a "fresh install" to be incombatible with mods per se? Honestly, you go to the mod thread, look if that mod is compatible with the newest version and then act accordingly. If nothing happens then the most likely case is that you did something wrong. In that case people might be able to help you if you tell them what you did with what.

Just now, Harry Rhodan said:

Why would you expect a "fresh install" to be incombatible with mods per se? Honestly, you go to the mod thread, look if that mod is compatible with the newest version and then act accordingly. If nothing happens then the most likely case is that you did something wrong. In that case people might be able to help you if you tell them what you did with what.

I'm not saying that fresh install is incompatible or something. Some of the mod installation instruction pointing out that it will be better if i make that fresh install. I've asked in the main post if it does anything, good or bad, because i've never really noticed the effect myself. A guy responded "yes", now i am asking what exactly it does. That's it.

6 minutes ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

I'm not saying that fresh install is incompatible or something. Some of the mod installation instruction pointing out that it will be better if i make that fresh install. I've asked in the main post if it does anything, good or bad, because i've never really noticed the effect myself. A guy responded "yes", now i am asking what exactly it does. That's it.

Ok, that will simply reduce the amount of interference with other mods and might make troubleshooting easier.

5 hours ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

I took your question to mean, "If I install mods on a fresh install, should I expect them to work?" The answer to that is yes, they should work.

Now it sounds as if you meant, "If I install mods on a fresh install, should I expect them to work differently than on a non-fresh install?" The answer to that is it depends what other mods you have installed. Sometimes mods can conflict with one another and break each other's functionality. But if you don't have any like that, then they should still work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.