Which kind of Landers?

Kroslev Kerman

What kind of Landers do you like?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Lets say your on the mun or ike or those low gravity no atmos moons/planets what kind of landers do you like on those Planets?

I tend to design my one shot missions with tight fuel budgets and leave the landing gear on the surface or drop it shortly after liftoff.

But I also frequently have shuttles and fuel tugs that stay in orbit or landed until they are needed for something, and those are by design and necessity SSTO. And SSTL. As SSTO sites not actually mean "never stage at all anymore" but we all know that. ;)

So anyway, I'd have to answer "both" but that's not an option so I will abstain.

It is all about where you are in the game.

I drop everything that is not needed on the ascent stage in exploration phase. It has been a while, but I seem to recall that it allowed me to drop engines as well and ascent on a single Spark, while three was necessary to ensure a reasonable deceleration on descent. If it is SSTO, it gets re-designated as a ferry. Then I would ferry crew from surface to transmunar shuttles, that would again rendezvous with SSTO's from Kerbin surface for a complete trip.

I have yet to move out of the exploratory phase for planets, so there I use expendable landers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.