Player achievements!

Hey ya'll, you've probably seen this come up before, but I find myself thinking once I've landed a probe on a distant planet, or landed the eagle on the Mun - "Why did I do this?" and the answer has always been "Because I can". If there was an achievement system, it might give the player a sense of accomplishment (even if they've done something insane already) and pride for their space program.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. :)

Welcome to the forums.   There are achievements in game, at least in career mode.  You can earn world firsts.    But achievements tend to stifle creativity in my opinion.   If you give players a list of things to accomplish, then they will often only accomplish those things.   The free form nature of KSP is what lends it self to the explorations we do for our own personal achievement.   And bragging rights here on the forums. 

A very very long time ago, before there was even a career mode, there was a mod called Achievements.

It faded away when career mode took over that aspect of the game but I quite liked it.

While looking for that, I found this mod, which is current. I have no experience with it.

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Final frontier is another good one in that vein, VHM.   Instead of player achievements, it tracks individual Kerbal achievements. 

It's an achievement system that fits into the game.

Otherwise, go get this, and every time you do something, peel one off, stick it somewhere, and feel good about it.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:46 PM, Gargamel said:

But achievements tend to stifle creativity in my opinion.   If you give players a list of things to accomplish, then they will often only accomplish those things.

Pretty much this.  Give players a list of ticky boxes to tick off - and they'll soon see that as the only "right and proper" way to play the game.  (Due to the conditioning from other games where progress/ability to "win" is linked to achievements.)

On 11/24/2018 at 10:46 PM, Gargamel said:

But achievements tend to stifle creativity in my opinion

While I can't disagree with that statement, I would like to add that they don't have to.

Another of my favorite games, Factorio, has several achievements that encourage a player outside their comfort zone. And one, whose name would probably be filtered here but has "Lazy" on the name, is actually the reason I played it for hundreds of hours instead of dozens. It got me to try a methodology that I didn't think I'd take to, that became the only way I wanted to play the game.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

It's fantastic. It shares the top 10 all-time favorite list with KSP. May even be top 5.

If you like math and efficiency and automation and optimization, give it a look.

Thanks. The next time I see it on sale, I will buy it...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.