Maelstrom Mk2 - High Performance Aircraft

Cupcake...

UPDATES:

1/12/18 - Medium landing gear replaced with small landing gear, balance/centre of lift tweaked, solar panel removed.

24/12/18 - Small reaction wheel added, craft re-balanced, aesthetic improvements.

CRAFT FILE:

https://goo.gl/1d4wqu

3f2PXkk.jpg

Presenting the Maelstrom Mk2; a super manoeuvrable, high speed aircraft capable of pulling off bone snapping manoeuvres that can only be described as obscene.

EfwtUGW.jpg

This new design replaces the MK1 SSTO version and builds on the qualities I loved about that design (high speed, agile handling) while doing away with the things I didn't (part count, complexity, some nasty flat spins).

iWzz3bA.jpg

Maximum speed is just over 800 m/s dry and a whopping 1700m/s+ (Mach 3) using re-heat. Note: flying at this speed will eventually cause the engines to overheat and explode!

J1etXwi.jpg

When flown sensibly at cruising altitudes of 14,000m and above it's possible to get flight times of over four hours. When flying less sensibly it's possible to pull in excess of 180g and still have the plane stay in one piece. ;) 

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engines

2 - Toggle Re-Heat

5 - Toggle Engine 1

6 - Toggle Engine 2

9 - Toggle Engine Gimbals

0 - Toggle Cockpit Doors

ABORT - Toggle Airbrake (Use With Caution)

OWNERS MANUAL:

As with all my designs a Joystick is highly recommended.

The craft is extremely responsive and should be flown with a very light touch to prevent energy being lost to extreme angles of attack.

The controls are set for maximum agility but can be dialled back for a more placid ride.

There isn't a heck of a lot of landing gear clearance so care should be taken to avoid excessive angles of attack during takeoffs/landings.

It's recommended to map the afterburner to the joysticks trigger as this will help get you out of trouble quickly if you see the ground running towards you!

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake... 

Edited by Cupcake...

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

This craft has been stolen on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/EmanD3000/Maelstrom-Mk2-Adv-Aircraft @Cupcake...

Just so you are aware.

*Edit* Action is being taken and it should be removed soon :D

I don’t know if I should be flattered or annoyed! Thanks for letting me know. ;)

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.