Kroslev Kerman

Do you use and put LES?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. LES yes or no? MULTICHOICE

• Yes
    • No
    • do you put them on your craft
    • you dont put them on your craft

All launch systems have abort action-group at least shutting-down engines.
All crewed launch systems have some some sort of escape/survival setup.
All crewed launch systems > 1.5m have LES.
Everything that reaches orbit has a (rescue) docking port.

4 hours ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

i mean like stock

I'm trying to play a no reverts career at the moment so I use an LES, stock or otherwise.  I am however using multiple mods at the moment, among them, PEBKAC for properly aligned LES and BARIS which has a part failure function.

3 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

I'm trying to play a no reverts career at the moment so I use an LES, stock or otherwise.  I am however using multiple mods at the moment, among them, PEBKAC for properly aligned LES and BARIS which has a part failure function.

I salute your courage.

I played pretty far into a no-reverts, no-quickloads career. It was very cool and very tense. It's just that the game is so buggy that it's not really feasible IMO -- I gave up when a (crewed) craft that was happily in a stable polar orbit around Ike suddenly spontaneously decomposed into a collection of parts flying in loose formation (and no longer controllable). 

Just now, Brikoleur said:

I salute your courage.

I played pretty far into a no-reverts, no-quickloads career. It was very cool and very tense. It's just that the game is so buggy that it's not really feasible IMO -- I gave up when a (crewed) craft that was happily in a stable polar orbit around Ike suddenly spontaneously decomposed into a collection of parts flying in loose formation (and no longer controllable). 

Totally agree..  I have reverts and quicksaves on in a mostly hard-mode difficulty setting for precisely the kinds of issues you note, I'm just trying not to use them.  Self control has been surprisingly good so far.

6 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I salute your courage.

Same, I gave the whole "ironman" Career mode thing a shot once.

Came to an abrupt end when Jeb decided that running through the gentle grass in the cool breeze on Kerbin was just too much for his little heart to take and promptly exploded into a cloud of smoke.

As a game KSP is just too buggy for that sort of thing, which is a shame as it could be fun.

I use Kerbal Launch Failure now, so everything manned gets a LES, but I had started using LES when I started doing hard careers (no revert/quickload) even without a failure mod

First time I used a LES was a load of tourists going to orbit in a fairly new rocket design.  The core used 4 Swivels plus a pair of Reliants on radial boosters.  On the test launch, one of the Swivels was destroyed, but I was still able to keep control.   After that I modified the position of the radial decouplers to avoid that happening again.  Instead, I made it worse & the radial boosters knocked out 2 of the Swivels and I had to fire the LES.  That incident was actually what got me to add Kerbal Launch Failure to my mod list, since the mishap was the most exciting "routine" launch I'd had in a while.

Yes, and I test the LES unmanned before installing it on the production spacecraft.

As for no-revert games... Dying to bugs in *any* game is frustrating and pointless IMHO, so I allow saves and only revert if there's a loss due to a bug, on the honor system.

3 hours ago, razark said:

Any crewed launch vehicle I use has some sort of LES.

Same here.  Even the big tourist busses that the LES wouldn't even budge, I have a planned abort sequence to save them, if not a custom 'heavy lifting' LES

Tend to not use them as rockets in KSP don't blow up, you can just decouple pod.
Exception is telescoping: that is second stage or structure between crew compartment and first stage breaks down so you first stage accelerate towards the crew compatment with +6g, 
You are however unlikely to be fast enough to activate it. 

Some of my deep space stuff has escape system functionality, my tylo lander can drop the mining system and reactor mounted on the two side tanks, this is in case I or MJ has messed up but I can still land or reach orbit. 
I just had to use something similar on my minmus science lander. Last suborbital jump would be to expensive to land and I was not able to reach orbit so I decoupled the four side tanks and orbited it. Granted it lost its legs and some science equipment, but kerbals cost over 2 millions and I saved the data and the expensive stuff who will be mounted on an replacement lander. 

2 hours ago, Xavven said:

As for no-revert games... Dying to bugs in *any* game is frustrating and pointless IMHO, so I allow saves and only revert if there's a loss due to a bug, on the honor system

Yeah, I turn on revert or quickload to fix game glitches or real life intrusions unless they are amusing, too many of both to go completely without. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Some of my deep space stuff has escape system functionality, my tylo lander can drop the mining system and reactor mounted on the two side tanks, this is in case I or MJ has messed up but I can still land or reach orbit

That's an interesting idea, never thought of that before. 

Edit:  And I just used one again - actually, an abort mode built into a mod engine - after a main engine failure shortly after liftoff with a load of tourists. 

Edited by Cavscout74

Never as actual launch escape system. But I used it a plenty of times.  Insane thrust, 0.5s burn time. You have to use at least two in symmetry mode because otherwise its offset thrust will send your contraptions into a spin. Contracts of 'high-gee adventure', contracts of 'test part' at some stupidly high speed and stupidly low altitude, missiles, getting micro-airplanes without landing gear into the air, separatron for boosters etc.

Seriously, this thing is fun! Just forget the whole 'launch escape' ideology. If it had an integrated parachute or at the very least a decoupler, it would be good as actual LES. In current form it's just an awesomely strong, short-burning separatron.

Greets all,

Not sure how to answer the question. The only time I've ever úsed the LES was for a contract to test it on the launch pad.  Never having actually fired one off before I attached it to the top of a Mk1 Capsule, put two radial chutes on the capsule and sent one of the non-pilot Kerbalnauts for a ride. Launch, whoosh, open chutes when appropriate, watch terrified Kerbal on 4x speed as the capsule descends. landed pretty close to the launch pad considering there was non SAS during the powered part of the flight.

Bank some easy money. 

So am I a YES or NO? Why don't people include ''Maybe" or "Only when dictated by contracts" in their poll options.

Regards

Orc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.