Kroslev Kerman

Do you use and put LES?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. LES yes or no? MULTICHOICE

• Yes
    • No
    • do you put them on your craft
    • you dont put them on your craft

Not easy to answer accurately, this poll. I marked the first, third and fourth options.

I have used the one stock part that plays this role, but I can build better and more reliable LES out of other parts, so I usually do that instead. I also put that one particular part on craft sometimes, but certainly not always, and mostly not for its intended functionality.

Although not really a necessity the way I play, yes, I do. In fact, three days ago, I was doing a routine mission to my orbiting platform. My daughter, who also plays KSP, decided it would be funny to cut the flow in the VAB to my second stage engines as I was grabbing another cup of coffee. When I came back and launched, yeah, that happened. She knows how much I hate losing Kermen, so she laughed wildly until she realized I was evacuating the crew.  :D

Yup, who needs a mod when you have a mischievous child around...

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Hahaha! I can imagine. I'd be toast for sure.

If I am recalling correctly, you've played Silent Hunter 3 or 4.

Imagine spending the time to maneuver into a perfect attack position on a convoy, only to have a kid walk up, shout "Fire!", and ruin the whole attack.

Just now, razark said:

Imagine spending the time to maneuver into a perfect attack position on a convoy, only to have a kid walk up, shout "Fire!", and ruin the whole attack.

Funny that you mention that... I forgot that game has that feature... And the reason why is when she was 2, she'd come over to where I was at and yell either "dive" or "fire" :huh: Yeah, She's 8 now, so should I risk it?

I play with Kerbal Launch Failure and LES are required for any crewed missions. Also the LES is always tested without a crew first - this isn't just roleplay, sometimes the Abort sequence requires some fine tuning, especially if there's a shroud involved.

I wish the Abort feature included the ability to program in slight delays. Be safer if I could blow the shroud a 1/10 of a second before the LES fires. For that matter, being able to assign delays within any Action Group would be really cool actually  :D 

20 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I play with Kerbal Launch Failure and LES are required for any crewed missions. Also the LES is always tested without a crew first - this isn't just roleplay, sometimes the Abort sequence requires some fine tuning, especially if there's a shroud involved.

I wish the Abort feature included the ability to program in slight delays. Be safer if I could blow the shroud a 1/10 of a second before the LES fires. For that matter, being able to assign delays within any Action Group would be really cool actually  :D 

Bob's Panic Box does exactly that

This just in. Building my Tellumo Ascent Vehicle. How to get rid of two Ramjets (that ran their course and won't contribute any more thrust, just weight and drag), their tanks, and unnecessary wings in such a way that they won't rip away my tail stabilizers?

jCIGAat.png

HDmhQBT.png

The scramjet gives me some 200-300km apoapsis with some -80km periapsis, and I can circularize and travel around in orbit using a puny 0.625 NERV.

Do I implement them? Yes, wherever I can.

Have I tested them? Yes.

Do I hope to ever use them? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Also, I don't like part failure mods because the failures are arbitrary; all risk and no reward. IRL, failures do not happen without good reason, especially in spaceflight. If you want some good examples, read this post.

14 hours ago, Mrsupersonic8 said:

Do I implement them? Yes, wherever I can.

Have I tested them? Yes.

Do I hope to ever use them? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Also, I don't like part failure mods because the failures are arbitrary; all risk and no reward. IRL, failures do not happen without good reason, especially in spaceflight. If you want some good examples, read this post.

I use a part failure mod specifically because there is a reward. The reward is that there's an in-game reason for me to spend the mass and planning for launch escape systems. Without a chance of failure I'm just wasting mass otherwise and doing it "just for fun" or "for RP" wasn't compelling to me. While a random failure isn't ideal, it's a very simple way to give me a reason to plan for failures without getting bogged down in complex part R&D solutions.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, razark said:

I believe over on the subsim forums, I read a story that somebody had setup  just this, and their kid learned if that they screamed "Alarm!" as they walked by, they would execute a crash dive.   

Completely and utterly off-topic - but I could not help my self. =P

Spoiler

"Have you ever used a Launch escape system?"

Yes. I got divorced. Barely made it, I still have the scars…. :sticktongue:

Now, on the real thing: I ddn't used to use LES until I found this mod. That made all the difference. :D 

Before that, I was using them as a de-orbit device to save a engine! :D I tried to use them as retro-rockets for landing too, but never managed to make this stunt to work!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.