Kroslev Kerman

Have you ever used a Launch escape system

Do you use and put LES?  

64 members have voted

  1. 1. LES yes or no? MULTICHOICE

    • Yes
      33
    • No
      27
    • do you put them on your craft
      22
    • you dont put them on your craft
      17


Recommended Posts

Not easy to answer accurately, this poll. I marked the first, third and fourth options.

I have used the one stock part that plays this role, but I can build better and more reliable LES out of other parts, so I usually do that instead. I also put that one particular part on craft sometimes, but certainly not always, and mostly not for its intended functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although not really a necessity the way I play, yes, I do. In fact, three days ago, I was doing a routine mission to my orbiting platform. My daughter, who also plays KSP, decided it would be funny to cut the flow in the VAB to my second stage engines as I was grabbing another cup of coffee. When I came back and launched, yeah, that happened. She knows how much I hate losing Kermen, so she laughed wildly until she realized I was evacuating the crew.  :D

Yup, who needs a mod when you have a mischievous child around...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Yup, who needs a mod when you have a mischievous child around...

Playing games with voice command when children are nearby...

That's an adventure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, razark said:

Playing games with voice command when children are nearby...

That's an adventure.

Hahaha! I can imagine. I'd be toast for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Hahaha! I can imagine. I'd be toast for sure.

If I am recalling correctly, you've played Silent Hunter 3 or 4.

Imagine spending the time to maneuver into a perfect attack position on a convoy, only to have a kid walk up, shout "Fire!", and ruin the whole attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, razark said:

If I am recalling correctly, you've played Silent Hunter 3 or 4.

Imagine spending the time to maneuver into a perfect attack position on a convoy, only to have a kid walk up, shout "Fire!", and ruin the whole attack.

Funny that you mention that... I forgot that game has that feature... And the reason why is when she was 2, she'd come over to where I was at and yell either "dive" or "fire" :huh: Yeah, She's 8 now, so should I risk it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play with Kerbal Launch Failure and LES are required for any crewed missions. Also the LES is always tested without a crew first - this isn't just roleplay, sometimes the Abort sequence requires some fine tuning, especially if there's a shroud involved.

I wish the Abort feature included the ability to program in slight delays. Be safer if I could blow the shroud a 1/10 of a second before the LES fires. For that matter, being able to assign delays within any Action Group would be really cool actually  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I play with Kerbal Launch Failure and LES are required for any crewed missions. Also the LES is always tested without a crew first - this isn't just roleplay, sometimes the Abort sequence requires some fine tuning, especially if there's a shroud involved.

I wish the Abort feature included the ability to program in slight delays. Be safer if I could blow the shroud a 1/10 of a second before the LES fires. For that matter, being able to assign delays within any Action Group would be really cool actually  :D 

Bob's Panic Box does exactly that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Bob's Panic Box does exactly that

Cool...I'll check that out  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This just in. Building my Tellumo Ascent Vehicle. How to get rid of two Ramjets (that ran their course and won't contribute any more thrust, just weight and drag), their tanks, and unnecessary wings in such a way that they won't rip away my tail stabilizers?

jCIGAat.png

HDmhQBT.png

The scramjet gives me some 200-300km apoapsis with some -80km periapsis, and I can circularize and travel around in orbit using a puny 0.625 NERV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I implement them? Yes, wherever I can.

Have I tested them? Yes.

Do I hope to ever use them? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Also, I don't like part failure mods because the failures are arbitrary; all risk and no reward. IRL, failures do not happen without good reason, especially in spaceflight. If you want some good examples, read this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mrsupersonic8 said:

Do I implement them? Yes, wherever I can.

Have I tested them? Yes.

Do I hope to ever use them? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Also, I don't like part failure mods because the failures are arbitrary; all risk and no reward. IRL, failures do not happen without good reason, especially in spaceflight. If you want some good examples, read this post.

I use a part failure mod specifically because there is a reward. The reward is that there's an in-game reason for me to spend the mass and planning for launch escape systems. Without a chance of failure I'm just wasting mass otherwise and doing it "just for fun" or "for RP" wasn't compelling to me. While a random failure isn't ideal, it's a very simple way to give me a reason to plan for failures without getting bogged down in complex part R&D solutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, razark said:

If I am recalling correctly, you've played Silent Hunter 3 or 4.

Imagine spending the time to maneuver into a perfect attack position on a convoy, only to have a kid walk up, shout "Fire!", and ruin the whole attack.

I believe over on the subsim forums, I read a story that somebody had setup  just this, and their kid learned if that they screamed "Alarm!" as they walked by, they would execute a crash dive.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I believe over on the subsim forums, I read a story that somebody had setup  just this, and their kid learned if that they screamed "Alarm!" as they walked by, they would execute a crash dive.    

Sounds familiar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

SOB... thought your username looked familiar....

Yeah, I know I recognize your name/avatar from there.  I haven't been active on subsim for a while, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely and utterly off-topic - but I could not help my self. =P

Spoiler

"Have you ever used a Launch escape system?"

Yes. I got divorced. Barely made it, I still have the scars…. :sticktongue:

Now, on the real thing: I ddn't used to use LES until I found this mod. That made all the difference. :D 

Before that, I was using them as a de-orbit device to save a engine! :D I tried to use them as retro-rockets for landing too, but never managed to make this stunt to work!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.