[KSP 1.12.x] Parking Brake (0.4.4) - 2021-07-23

maja

Have you problems with vessels moving down a slope even if it has brakes engaged? We have got you covered. Engage Parking Brake and don't worry about sliding anymore. You will find it on PAW of every command module.

Source: https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-ParkingBrake

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/2018/Parking%20Brake

License: GPL-3.0

Required mod: Module Manager

Few notes:

• Parking Brake is added to every part which has the command module
  • Your vessel must be landed
  • Maximum speed of a vessel must be lower than or equal to 0.25 m/s
  • It is not recommended to use the Parking Brake if you have Ground Tether toggled on (function of USI parts)

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 0.4.4

• Recompile for KSP 1.12.1

Version 0.4.3

• Brazilian Portuguese localization by Lisias

Version 0.4.2

• Parking brake is disengaged when vessel starts to fly
  • Parking brake is disengaged when you switch off brakes
  • Parking brake added to external command seat

Version 0.4.1

• Russian localization by kovakthemost

Version 0.4.0

• Recompile for KSP 1.11.1

Version 0.3.0

• Recompile for KSP 1.10

Version 0.2

• KSP 1.8 compatibility

Version 0.1.1

• Recompile for KSP 1.7.1

Version 0.1.1

• Recompile for KSP 1.7

Version 0.1.0.1

• Speed limit increased to 0.25 m/s

Version 0.1.0

• Initial release

Edited by maja

43 minutes ago, Catatau_27 said:

Now you need to make your mod as an active part that appears inside the cabine to be activated from inside the ship by the MFD panel, or a lever inside the cockpit. Talk to @MOARdV

"Give them a finger, and they'll take the whole hand"

Raise an issue on github and it will be maybe implemented. It really depends on my free time and will. I'm in the middle of an overhaul of the BonVoyage too.

This is awesome! :D:D:D

One thing I noticed: it doesn't appear to work with gear retracted. I made a heavy rover on those retractable M1-F wheels, and drove it on the incline next to the runway: drifts, as expected. The parking brake stops it dead just as advertised with the wheels deployed. However if I retract the wheels, it starts sliding again, and if I use the parking brake with the retracted stowed and the craft slowly drifting (below 0.1 m/s), I can engage it, but it appears to do nothing. 

This is not a showstopper by any means -- would be nice to get it addressed, but there is no problem at all to have my base remain on wheels. Thank you! 

Edit: I filed an issue on GitHub with an attached craft I used to test this.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

However if I retract the wheels, it starts sliding again, and if I use the parking brake with the retracted stowed and the craft slowly drifting (below 0.1 m/s), I can engage it, but it appears to do nothing.

When you retract wheels, then your vessel (attached in the github issues) is reported as not landed. In that case is the parking brake internaly disabled.

Edited by maja

Neat...question tho.

Why speed so low to enable it?? What happens if you could enable it at for example: 3 m/s?? Just wondering.

Would be nice as a final craft stopper if you cant seem to get it below 1 m/s (especally if it works on water too, as that is probably one of the hardest situs for me atleast to get a craft going THAT slow without burning retrograde)

Just a thought

Edited by Jesusthebird

Hello, playing on Ubuntu (Linux) 16.04 64b, I'm glad somebody made  a mod to make the issue more bearable, although it does seem to work (like the MKS "ground tether" one), I can't seem to get a horizontal speed of zero, it went from 1-2mm/s to a little less than 1mm/s (approx 0.5mm/s on average) when I checked on kerbal engineer (measured on the flat lands on Minmus).

I'm starting to ask myself if :

1 - Is there something wrong with your mod/"MKS ground tether" or "kerbal engineer" ?

2 - Could we eventually hit absolute zero since every planet reacts like if it was actually covered with ice ?

3 - Is it something specific about linux builds (unlikely since a lot of people seem affected) ?

4 - How on earth is it that I can see huge bases all over the place where nobody noticed anything about that crappy sliding thingy ?

5 - Am I doing something wrong on every base (used landing gears, enabled/disabled the brakes, locked the staging, disabled SAS/RCS, tried anything I thought about) ?

Installed mods :  Kerbal engineer / MKS constellation / module manager / this mod

Vessel : Karibou UKS multi-hub with a MKS Duna colonization module on top with the the parking break activated (not the ground tether), some storage to try out the brakes with some weight (since I noticed it was worth with more weight in old versions of KSP), landed on the flat lands on Minmus and it looks like it's still moving ever so slightly.

Pretty sure this will transform into a kraken again if I connect some "Tundra" modules, I'll try on the first occasion, but it's likely that everything will explode when some weight is added to the base.

Don't hesitate to ask for more details (savefiles, data, anything...) if it can help resolve the problem.

Cheers guys.

1 hour ago, deepThought said:

4 - How on earth is it that I can see huge bases all over the place where nobody noticed anything about that crappy sliding thingy ?

That's something that the KSP player base has been dealing with for awhile now. Like the stupid super bouncy suspensions. It's something that has been complained about, but Squad has been unable to fix.

@maja ground tether without USI, nice!!! downloaded

8 hours ago, maja said:

When you retract wheels, then your vessel (attached in the github issues) is reported as not landed. In that case is the parking brake internaly disabled.

That explains it, thanks. Would be nice to be able to park wheel-less bases as well but that’s not a big deal.

There is however a very slow drift even with wheels extended, which is rather mysterious IMO. It’s clear the brake engages as it almost stops the craft. Almost...

39 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

That explains it, thanks. Would be nice to be able to park wheel-less bases as well but that’s not a big deal.

There is however a very slow drift even with wheels extended, which is rather mysterious IMO. It’s clear the brake engages as it almost stops the craft. Almost...

I replied in the issue, but I can reply here too. If you look on the wheels, they are slowly turning. You craft is probably too heavy and even that parking break is fighting it, there is still some force.

That "not landed" part is the result of the wheels folding under the rover and the game thinks, that it is not touching the ground. Why? Ask the developer of the wheels.

8 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Neat...question tho.

Why speed so low to enable it?? What happens if you could enable it at for example: 3 m/s?? Just wondering.

Would be nice as a final craft stopper if you cant seem to get it below 1 m/s (especally if it works on water too, as that is probably one of the hardest situs for me atleast to get a craft going THAT slow without burning retrograde)

Just a thought

Well, it's a parking break after all. You have your normal brakes to reduce the speed. And you probably missed, that the limit was increased to 0.25 m/s. Why this limit and not 0.3 m/s? I like, that it is 1/4 :D

Naval anchor isn't happening. This is one purpose mod which tries to fix only one issue.

To all: I have an idea, but I can't promise anything. The game really tries to counter this :cool:

Great.

I'm not criticising, mind you -- I'm exploring how this works and what its limitations are. If I can find a solution where my station is reliably 100% stationary, I will be happy. For that, I just need to find all the cases where it's not 100% stationary, so I can avoid them!

So far, my findings are:

(1) Enough wheels for craft weight with sufficient traction/brakes: works as intended -- craft completely stopped.

(2) Not enough wheels -- brake engages, kills almost all movement, but slow drift with wheels turning remains.

(3) Wheels retracted -- does nothing.

(4) No wheels -- appears to do nothing (but can't be sure because drift is slow to start with).

I'm going to do some experiments with landing legs next when I have the time.

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

I'm not criticising, mind you -- I'm exploring how this works and what its limitations are. If I can find a solution where my station is reliably 100% stationary, I will be happy. For that, I just need to find all the cases where it's not 100% stationary, so I can avoid them!

Don't worry, I don't get it as criticism. You have constructive approach to this issue and I'm glad, that someone tests it, because I know how it must work, so I'm biased a little bit during my tests and I can miss something.

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

(1) Enough wheels for craft weight with sufficient traction/brakes: works as intended -- craft completely stopped.

(2) Not enough wheels -- brake engages, kills almost all movement, but slow drift with wheels turning remains.

(3) Wheels retracted -- does nothing.

(4) No wheels -- appears to do nothing (but can't be sure because drift is slow to start with).

I'm going to do some experiments with landing legs next when I have the time.

1. I thought, that it'll be the case of too much stress on wheels and you need enough of them or stronger ones.
  2. The game applies a force, Parking brake tries to stop it, but can't stop it completly. That's "probably" ok, because I don't want to create some cheat mod. On the other side, there must be balance.
  3. If you are using that small folding wheels, thatn this is issue with their colider, because vessel is not touching the ground, when they are folded.
  4. I'll test it today, just to confirm, that it's hitting the right part of the code.
  5. There was some sliding even with landing legs, but I didn't used the strongest ones. This can be related to point 1 and 2.

Edited by maja

11 hours ago, maja said:

I replied in the issue, but I can reply here too. If you look on the wheels, they are slowly turning. You craft is probably too heavy and even that parking break is fighting it, there is still some force.

That "not landed" part is the result of the wheels folding under the rover and the game thinks, that it is not touching the ground. Why? Ask the developer of the wheels.

Well, it's a parking break after all. You have your normal brakes to reduce the speed. And you probably missed, that the limit was increased to 0.25 m/s. Why this limit and not 0.3 m/s? I like, that it is 1/4 :D

Naval anchor isn't happening. This is one purpose mod which tries to fix only one issue.

To all: I have an idea, but I can't promise anything. The game really tries to counter this :cool:

Ive had times where my brakes wouldnt slow me below 1-3m/s. Usually a steep incline and if brake power hasnt been increased at all. Unfortunately its probably just because wheels are weird acting in general in ksp. Perhaps a different mod that acts more like a handbrake?? I just figured it would be a nice additional function. But certainly isnt required or for that matter, would see a whole lot of use except in very special circumstances.

An example of this would be a few days ago I made an ssto. Using squads large retractable landing gears. I landed on a maybe..5-10deg incline and had to either roll down the hill or increase my brake power manually to even get below 5m/s..was very strange considering it wasnt very steep incline to begin with. 

Can some brave soul try this test version and compare it to the 0.1.0.1? https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-ParkingBrake/releases/tag/0.1.0.2

I'm trying to force the vessel back to the original position, when the parking brake was engaged. It can rotate (at least my test rover tried to rotate the heaviest part downhill), but the root part seems to stay in one place. If you can try it with wheels and landing legs and without them, it will be great.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:55 PM, maja said:

Can some brave soul try this test version and compare it to the 0.1.0.1? https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-ParkingBrake/releases/tag/0.1.0.2

I'm trying to force the vessel back to the original position, when the parking brake was engaged. It can rotate (at least my test rover tried to rotate the heaviest part downhill), but the root part seems to stay in one place. If you can try it with wheels and landing legs and without them, it will be great.

Had a busy week, couldn't touch KSP then -- I will try it and report back here.

Edit: Okay, I made a quick test. I made a test mule with four ruggedised wheels on radial decouplers, a pretty heavy fuel tank, and four landing legs. I drove it onto the incline of the runway. Observations:

(1) When engaging PB while on its wheels, it got into a rapid oscillation which ended when two or more of the wheels broke, after which it continued to drift.

(2) Without wheels and with landing legs retracted, there was a distinct difference in the rate and direction of drift with PB engaged and not -- slower with PG engaged, and it also wanted to rotate a bit.

(3) With landing legs a slow drift was present both with PB engaged and not; again there was a slight rotation when PG was engaged. PB noticeably reduced the rate of drift.

(4) When engaging physics warp with PB engaged, the craft got into a rapid oscillation until it flew into the air and self-destructed. (NOTE: This is not related to the PB, I tried the same with PB disengaged and it happened also. So this is a wheels/landing legs problem, not a PB problem.)

Test mule craft available upon request.

Note: the drift is most easily observable by bringing the camera close to ground level. 

-- This really seems to be a hard problem to solve. Maybe disabling physics for parked craft really is the only way to definitively put it to bed, side effects and all?

Another edit: I ran the same tests with 1.0.1, and the results were closely similar. I just couldn't observe any rotation of the craft under any circumstances.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Had a busy week, couldn't touch KSP then -- I will try it and report back here.

<snip>

-- This really seems to be a hard problem to solve. Maybe disabling physics for parked craft really is the only way to definitively put it to bed, side effects and all?

Thanks a lot for a test. Rotation in 1.0.2 is due to reposition of a vessel (root part actually), so it rotates around fixed root part.

I can try disabling physics and we will see what happens.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.